Wig Wag Flasher Switch Question

bkulibert

Jun 26, 2016
Mayville, WI
I have a wig wag flasher switch box, that I am trying to wire up. I need to figure out what each wire is for. There is a red wire (obviously positive), brown wire, green w/red stripe wire. Pictures are attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_7904.JPG
    100_7904.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_7905.JPG
    100_7905.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 11

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Probably the same as the galls box...it grounds itself through the lights so the red is for power the other two are the outputs... But open it up just to make sure there wasn't a fourth wire cut somewhere..

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
yeah i was thinking the same thing, time to open it up and see whats the general setup inside, figuring the box is its own ground to the frame and the rest are just the outputs to the lights..

bkulibert

Jun 26, 2016
Mayville, WI
here are some pictures of the inside of the switch box

Attachments

• 100_7921.JPG
    100_7921.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_7922.JPG
    100_7922.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_7923.JPG
    100_7923.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 11

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Ok A Tridon flasher... ok trying to follow the wires around... red into one side of the fuse, the other side looks like its going to the power input on the flasher then to the lower connections on the switch then out the mid connectors of the switch.... the light looks like its coming off the lower left connector on the switch which is coming off the tridon leg to a wire nut but i have no clues where the other light wire is coming off from cept maybe the lower right flasher wire on the switch...
Ground is based on the Vehicle ground that the box is mounted to and the lights are grounded themselves to the body to complete the circuit at the lights ( unless the box is not a ground as well ), so basically one wire each to each light ( not caring which is left or right till you turn it on and decide which light wire is which based on which one flashes first ( which also will stay on the longest of the 2 or however many lights you put on it up to what 180 watts I think it maxes at total? )) and then ground light to frame of car and boom there it is...
I used the Tridon with the Mercury switch in the Trunk of my Crown vics as the Activator ( open the trunk and the lights turn on, close the trunk and the lights turn off ).

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
This switch is supposed to have 5 wires coming from it, one pair to the cut end of each high beam wire and one hot wire for power. There is no ground wire. The fact that you have only 3 wires coming out of yours tells me that someone used it as just an alternating flasher to power a pair of lights, perhaps grill or back shelf. If you want it to operate properly with highbeams you'll have to add back the 2 missing wires as shown in the wiring diagram.

Wiring diagram

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
think the Old Version this is didnt work as a headlight flasher it was just a flasher... not sure where the pass through would go on that version he has thats why I posted that as a Reference since the wires are similar but have no info where the pass through would connect...

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
That should be DPDT switch. You can think of it as two separate SPDT switches that are operated simultaneously by the same actuator. Each switch has three contacts. The top contact is for one position of the switch, the bottom contact is for the other position of the switch, and the middle contact is common.

Without modification, this flasher will only work on applications with positive-side switched headlight systems. Cut the positive wires leading to each high beam and extend them to the switch.
  • The extended wires leading to the high beam lamps should be connected to the common terminals of the DPDT switch.
  • The extended wires leading back to the dimmer switch should be connected to the top terminals of the DPDT switch.
  • The L terminals of the flasher should be connected to the bottom terminals of the DPDT switch.
  • The X terminal of the Tridon EL13 should be connected, through the 10-amp fuse to the battery's positive terminal or another suitable source of +12v DC.
The DPDT switch connects the high beams either to the flasher or to the dimmer. The flasher will start to run when the DPDT switch is switched to completes the circuit through the high beams and will stop when the DPDT switch is switched back. Because of this design, this flasher provides no high-beam override function.

bkulibert

Jun 26, 2016
Mayville, WI
This switch is supposed to have 5 wires coming from it, one pair to the cut end of each high beam wire and one hot wire for power. There is no ground wire. The fact that you have only 3 wires coming out of yours tells me that someone used it as just an alternating flasher to power a pair of lights, perhaps grill or back shelf. If you want it to operate properly with highbeams you'll have to add back the 2 missing wires as shown in the wiring diagram.

I am using this switch box to alternate red/blue lights behind my grille. How would I wire/connect this to two grille lights?

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
in the PDF I posted Eliminate the wires listed for the Headlights.. Brown and White I think it said and Connect the Other 2 wires as Stated, one is left light one is right light the Ground is the Vehicle Ground.. Simple.. Red to Fused Power and your Done...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.