Wilson LED conversions - multiple models and repair

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Led conversion, population, and replacement of burnt out diodes!

No more replacing a head after a section Burns out and either throwing away or putting it in a box never to be used again.

Change rank, job, state? Need to change colors too? Can't stand that you bought all those lights and now you got to spend another fortune and make new holes.

Reuse the lights you already have! You know how many hours they have and what condition they are in.

Colors are: Amber, Red, Blue, Green, Purple, White.

There is also a few special order colors non-warning specific. Pink for the ladies ;)

Many many brands/ manufactures use the same platform of LED's and I'm constantly finding new lights.

UPDATE:

Here is the new pricing and tutorial to help figure out what series your lighthead uses

5mm

awww.effled.com_images_5mm_LEDs_off.jpg

These are commonly considered gen1. This is where led warning lighting was born. And it still continues to be used. I try not to convert these as it is time consuming. i can do them on a per job basis. $0.85 per led changed.

Star based leds

awww.lc_led.com_images_emitter_emitter.jpg

This is the popular diode that I carry I. Stock. I usually have about 2,000 at any given time. This was used by whelen in their heads up until late 2008. It was also used in the talons and other units until a later date. It is also familar in 911ep lights and many other companies. This was the breakthrough for smaller lights with more output

Any light that uses this diode is $2 per diode changed. Ie a lin6 would $12 etc

Cree XR-E

[Broken External Image]:http://www.cree.com/~/media/Images/Cree/Components Modules/XLamp/XRE White/XRE_Cool_Angle_med.jpg

This is used by many companies and is still popular today. This replaced the star based in some regards because it was more efficient power wise and since it flow solders to the board it was heatsinked better

I can change these but its more expensive. It is $5.00 per diode changed. Ie a lin6 with these diodes would be $30.

Cree XP-E

awww.leds.de_out_pictures_z1_sol_68404_pic1_1_z1.jpg

These little guys are mainly found in whelen heads. They are about the size of a framing nail head.Primarily in the justice style heads like the newer con-3s and the LR-11 takedowns.

I can change them but the limited use of this diode makes it more expensive at $6 per diode changed. As noted though I CAN make colored lr-11's

Comparison between the xre and the xpe

aledsreview.com_xp_g_vs_xr_e.jpg

Philips luxeon rebel

awww.philipslumileds.com_uploads_images_products_luxeon_rebel_illumination.jpg

Luxeon rebel size comparison

awww.osbornephotos.com_images__lights__5_20rebel_20on_20a_20penny_01.jpg

Size comparison to xp

[Broken External Image]:http://www.msc-ge.com/en/6817-www/version/default/part/ImageData/data/cree_xlamp_xp-e_white.png

This is the newest diode on the market today. This bad boy are bright but they are also a pain. Your big companies like whelen and feniex use this series. Whelen has been the first one to be utilizing those diodes which has been proven detrimental, there was a process problem at philips which led to hundreds of thousands of these diodes to fail prematurely due to bad epoxy.

I can change these as well but for the size and work it takes the price reflects that at $6/diode. Ie a lin6 with these diodes would be $36

Last but not least, well maybe...

Its the OSRAM led

aflashlightnews.org_images2_OSRAM_GoldenDragonPlus.jpg

This diode was popularly uses by sound off signal specifically the led3's. This was on my could not do list but I have successfully done a few for myself so I'm opening it. So yes I can do led3's now

$5 per diode. Ie led3 changed would be $15.

Many people ask me what diodes I am using. I cannot say other than they come from a name brand warning light manufacturer near me.

I did a side by side test with a whelen tir6b(blue)

I changed the leds out in 1 module with new blue ones. The second module I left it whelen.

Results: color to the eyes was identical. The light output on the one I changed was actually 20-50lux brighter than the whelen's.

I personally use lights I changed on my pov

Split colors are capable in a single head also.

Red/amber and Blue/ white Tir6 with a clear non-optic lens does not get split fail at a distance.

Feel free to ask any question.

Payment will be PayPal. Shipping is determined by you. However you ship it to me is how you will receive it in return and whatever you pay for shipping is what the shipping fee will be.

Also I've received lots of pm's but not a lot of product. Is there something specific people want to see me do? Send me a request and ill get it up!

Ill guarantee the heads. If they fail ill replace it if its my fault.

Brian

Lin6 amber before

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_10_16_gubuqyhe.jpg

Lin6 split blue/amber

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_10_16_uvu9ede7.jpg

Whelen 700series amber before

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_10_16_e7apanuq.jpg

Whelen 700series full conversion to blue

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_10_16_ysezuza3.jpg

Email for direct contact however posting here or PMing me is a more reliable source

Westernme963@AOL.com

Disclaimer: I am in no way, shape, or form affilated or supported by any company whom I retrofit their modules. I am a third party entity. Any previous ratings or certifications the light previously had will be voided. Any manufacturer's warranty that is present on the light will be voided. I am not responsible for any damages that may occur while using the equipment after the product is modified. Upon you agreeing to have me work on your equipment, you are waiving all rights of holding me accountable to any damage that may occur.

Last edited by a moderator:

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
It looks as though you don't want any services, so I have moved this thread to a more appropriate forum.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Awaiting pics and more info...

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Appologize to the mods. I was looking for a services offered category.

TIR6 ballast and non are also confirmed, I can do them

Rwo- work this week has been busy, night shift, I will try to post pics tomorrow

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
I don't think so. If there is a place to put the diode I could. If your willing to take one apart and send me a picture I could give you a better answer

Edit for update. Yes I can populate economy heads-2016

Last edited:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
What he means is could you add 2 more LEDs in the 2 open spots to the module in the pic to make it a fully populated module.

Whelen LIN6 B depop.jpg

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
I wasn't aware if the economy modules had open slots. I assumed the optics and the boards were different hence the economy preface. If the economy is simply a depopulated lin6 then yes I have no problem fully populating it

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
But, is the circuitry there to support 2 more LEDs?

Travieso

Oct 7, 2013
Texas
wilsonbr90 said:
I don't think so. If there is a place to put the diode I could. If your willing to take one apart and send me a picture I could give you a better answer

Here's a pic of an "economy" 4 LED 500 series light head (Mfg. Date 2007). I'm not an electrical engineer, but it seems plausible at add the missing two LEDs to the light head. :undecided:

Can someone post a picture of the circuitry from a fully populated version?

IMG_2221[1].jpg

SireLite

May 21, 2010
Merseyland, England, GB
Travieso said:
Here's a pic of an "economy" 4 LED 500 series light head (Mfg. Date 2007). I'm not an electrical engineer, but it seems plausible at add the missing two LEDs to the light head. :undecided:
Can someone post a picture of the circuitry from a fully populated version?

View attachment 61896

Turn it on and put a meter on the parts where a LED would be soldered. If there is voltage then you could probably add LED's to it. It should show a reading of below 4 volts.

Travieso

Oct 7, 2013
Texas
SireLite said:
Turn it on and put a meter on the parts where a LED would be soldered. If there is voltage then you could probably add LED's to it. It should show a reading of below 4 volts.

Yup, they're hot! 2.4 VDC ... Now - what type of LED could / should be soldered in there?

IMG_2222[1].jpg

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
I'd have to move the terminals around to bring up the voltage but I shouldn't have a problem populating them.

If someone wants to Guinea pig and its successful I'll do one head for free.

Can also do 700series super led

Pictures added.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I have a pile of depopulated texas dps heads that are 400 series 6 over 6 deads, but they only have 4 amber diodes in the lower section, I would love to fill the top 6 with red, and add 2 more amber to the bottom, not sure how they are set up inside but I don't need a flasher built in or any thing, steady burn would be prefect.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Shawn L said:
I have a pile of depopulated texas dps heads that are 400 series 6 over 6 deads, but they only have 4 amber diodes in the lower section, I would love to fill the top 6 with red, and add 2 more amber to the bottom, not sure how they are set up inside but I don't need a flasher built in or any thing, steady burn would be prefect.

I haven't worked with depopulated heads. My main concern is if the circuitry is there to support the upgrade. Honestly its just something I would have to try on one and see if it works or make it work.

wolfman

May 21, 2010
Scranton, PA
I have a couple of 700 Series Super LED heads that are split blue/red that I can send you and have you try to switch them to all red. PM me your information (address, method of payment, etc). Love to give you a try!

wolfman

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
theroofable said:
Are they the same OEM leds or one that fits?

They are not OEM. But they are brand new from a reputable warning light manufacturer near me. Since I'm getting them on the side from them I'm not allowed to say where they are from.

I did a side by side comparison on a whelen tir6 the other day. The new led I changed out was right in the middle of the head. It was as bright or slightly brighter than the whelen. You wont be dissappointed

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Your absolutely right. Just ordered a lux meter. I'll post official measurements when I receive it. Your eyes don't lie though.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
This is a great option for the failed leds in some of the lightheads that are out of warranty. If I get my hands on a few heads I will send them to you to see what you can do with them.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
MEVS06 said:
This is a great option for the failed leds in some of the lightheads that are out of warranty. If I get my hands on a few heads I will send them to you to see what you can do with them.

I appreciate it. I'm not trying to get rich. Just providing a service.

Reactions: fireman1327

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Shawn L said:
im not sure if the 400 series 6x6 modules will come apart? they appear to be potted over the depopulated areas .

They cannot from what I have looked, they are well glued or silicone together and will not separate. Same with the older 6 LED style corners that also sealed.

I have also converted capable LED modules from Whelen, FedSig, Code 3 and 911EP that use the 1watt Luxeon Emitter. I converted a Whelen Freedom 12 LED corners to amber and have worked fine for 10 hours so far. So it can be done and works well.

I am NOT in this business, please do not contact me about it. I am just saying that it can be done and I have done it with great success.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
So with my new photometer I used 2 whelen tir6 with identical manufacture dates. Blue.

1 I left stock, the second I changed all the leds over to my stock.

I ran a few tests and the head I changed is about 30lux brighter at 10feet compared to the whelen.

Not a ton brighter, but measurable.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Shawn L said:
im not sure if the 400 series 6x6 modules will come apart? they appear to be potted over the depopulated areas .

Haven't received any yet so don't know for sure. Anyone wanna post some pics?

Update for other products

Whelen talons are doable.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
wilsonbr90 said:
So with my new photometer I used 2 whelen tir6 with identical manufacture dates. Blue.
1 I left stock, the second I changed all the leds over to my stock.

I ran a few tests and the head I changed is about 30lux brighter at 10feet compared to the whelen.

Not a ton brighter, but measurable.

Are the blue diodes you have the deeper blue, or a lighter shade?

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Can't tell you the NM right off the top of my head but it matches the whelen color perfectly. Look at the pictures

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
wilsonbr90 said:
Can't tell you the NM right off the top of my head but it matches the whelen color perfectly. Look at the pictures

I always find pictures and videos to be less than 100% great to accurately depict/describe TRUE colors. This is why I was seeing if maybe you knew about the older TEAL Whelen blue, versus the GOOD darker blue. This is why I asked you and did not just rely on a picture to tell me. As far as NM of the blue, well, I didn't need that, too lazy to look it up and compare to a chart lol!

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
It is an identical blue to my liberty bar with an 08 manufacture date. As well as my tir6 with an 07 manufacture date. I believe to to be the newer darker blue color.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Zapp Brannigan said:
I always find pictures and videos to be less than 100% great to accurately depict/describe TRUE colors. This is why I was seeing if maybe you knew about the older TEAL Whelen blue, versus the GOOD darker blue. This is why I asked you and did not just rely on a picture to tell me. As far as NM of the blue, well, I didn't need that, too lazy to look it up and compare to a chart lol!

You make it seem like there are two discrete shades of Whelen blue. In truth, there is a wide range of hues.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
shues said:
You make it seem like there are two discrete shades of Whelen blue. In truth, there is a wide range of hues.
I am more talking the extremes. Yes, different batches of diodes, as well as the different diodes they used had different ranges. I will shut up now, sorry for asking questions, apparently I make statements that get misinterpreted.

chuckie321

May 21, 2010
USA / MIssouri
Makes sense to me... There are minor variations and major variations. I have seen three major variations in color on Code3 LEDX diodes... "Dark" blue, lighter blue, and freakin' teal.

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
wilsonbr90 said:
Haven't received any yet so don't know for sure. Anyone wanna post some pics?

Update for other products

Whelen talons are doable.

I'm definitely interested in the Talons. I have a pair of sync Talons's that I could use changed to red. Any idea on a price for them?

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Talons are $10 per head changed.

I'm also interested in trades.

Looking for some whelen 700 series clear lenses

Also willing to do trades on just about everything. Just shoot me a pm.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.