Wire : Common or Primary

shnerby

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
My friend asked me to post this on the board.

is there a problem with using primary wire in a vehicle

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
a wire is a wire. your concern should be to use stranded, not solid. Also make sure it is the proper gauge (size) for the equipment it is powering.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
I installed some lights & the wire I had to work with said "Boat Cable". Seems to work fine so I guess wire is wire.

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
For those reading this thread that might not know why not to use solid wire for automotive applications, why don't one of you that knows the exact reason explain it?

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I also suspect it has something to do with automotive applications having a lot of vibrations which stranded cable will handle by being able to flex whereas solid would tend to fail over time as well as loosen connections. But that is only a guess. I was hoping someone would actually step in and give an experts answer.

gp8

May 21, 2010
NJ
Solid wire is not made to handle vibrations. Eventually it may weaken and break when used in a vehicle.

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
Like mentioned solid wire will not take vibrations well or repeated bending such as running a wire through the door frame for mirror beams, this will cause it to eventually break. Another big concern is that solid wire will not flex as easily and will tend to rub against anything close which will in turn cause a short, and should you not protect your wires with fuses properly it will very likely cause alot more damage. Its also much easier to run strandad wire through a vehicle where it requires more turn than a house.

I do remember someone saying that DC current runs on the outside of wire therefore having more strands will decrease resistance, whereas AC current runs through the core so having one solid wire decreases resistance. I am not positive on this just heard it before.

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
usdemt said:
Like mentioned solid wire will not take vibrations well or repeated bending such as running a wire through the door frame for mirror beams, this will cause it to eventually break. Another big concern is that solid wire will not flex as easily and will tend to rub against anything close which will in turn cause a short, and should you not protect your wires with fuses properly it will very likely cause alot more damage. Its also much easier to run strandad wire through a vehicle where it requires more turn than a house.

I do remember someone saying that DC current runs on the outside of wire therefore having more strands will decrease resistance, whereas AC current runs through the core so having one solid wire decreases resistance. I am not positive on this just heard it before.
Thats what I was thinking of... I just couldn't remember how it went...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.