Wire Gauge ?/Two RV26's/Garage Display

Schach!

Aug 17, 2020
Springfield, IL
This is probably not the right forum to start with, but my searches have not yielded the information I am looking for so my apologies if not the right location to ask.

I picked up a pair of RV26, red and blue Spitfire lenses, cleaned them up, look great and work great. At another forum member's recommendation I purchased a 30 amp Pyle PSV300.

I will be displaying these on opposite sides at the back of one of my hangars, so they will be displayed about 20 feet across from one another with the wire running vertically down one side about 15 feet, or so, and then another 6+ feet to the power supply.

What gauge wiring would be recommended for this type of display? Thank you in advance for your thoughts and patience.

Marty

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I'd do 10 gauge for the closest and 8 for the farthest

Schach!

Aug 17, 2020
Springfield, IL
So, with those particular lights, (after reading some other posts), two 100 watt lamps each and the motors, (one each), and I am at the limit of my 30 amp power supply its seems. 8 gauge wiring for the longer length, 10 gauge for the shorter length. (I used the wire size calculator) as also Jarred confirmed. So Jarred, run four wires to the power supply? Two 8 gauge and two 10 gauge?

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
By my calculations based on 2 100w lamps per light, you’re already over your 30a PS.

I’d factor 22.5a per light which gives a little fudge factor room especially if a light had an issue and starts pulling more current. 8.3a per bulb. Motors are usually 1.5-2a in my experience.

You maybe able to find LED bulbs or maybe 55w versions of the bulbs to help with power consumption.

I’d just stick with 8gauge wire for the project.

Additionally, your PS should be on a 20a 120vac circuit.

Seth

Schach!

Aug 17, 2020
Springfield, IL
After further research, I noted the bulbs are GE4436, specs show 35W. So I figured 140 watts, 10 amps and a couple more for the motors, so about 12 amps. I read someone else put 100W in so I thought that was what all the bulbs were in these. Apparently not.

Attachments

• lite 2.jpg
    lite 2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1
  • lite 1.jpg
    lite 1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: C17LVFD

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
After further research, I noted the bulbs are GE4436, specs show 35W. So I figured 140 watts, 10 amps and a couple more for the motors, so about 12 amps. I read someone else put 100W in so I thought that was what all the bulbs were in these. Apparently not.

No. Usually they come standard from unity with 35w bulbs. I've seen 55w, but very rare. Some agencies, mainly Michigan State Police spec a 100w bulb from Unity. Even then the wire that comes from the light for power is only 16ga wire.

Personally if you're running these in a garage for show, the 35w bulbs are all you need.

Schach!

Aug 17, 2020
Springfield, IL
No. Usually they come standard from unity with 35w bulbs. I've seen 55w, but very rare. Some agencies, mainly Michigan State Police spec a 100w bulb from Unity. Even then the wire that comes from the light for power is only 16ga wire.

Personally if you're running these in a garage for show, the 35w bulbs are all you need.
That is the plan, just keeping them stock. Just trying to get an idea on wire gauge with the stock bulbs and about 35 feet of wiring from the farthest light. Thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.