WIRED HDH Flat Switch Panel - Official Thread

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
I wanted to start an official thread about this product as to not hijack other threads, so here we go!

First some links:

To buy: www.shopwiredhdh.com – coupon code “elightbars”

Youtube: www.youtube.com/wiredhdh

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wired-HDH/166861113343250 - please like our page, and receive updates and see when we do big time super secret discounts!

The FSP (flat switch panel) Series is one of a kind and a game changer. It is developed and manufactured in the USA and is built to withstand the toughest conditions in a vehicle.

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_37.jpg

The Keypad is made from a material that is made to withstand water and chemicals, and is UV resistant. It measures 1.75" by 5.5"; smaller then a dollar bill. The UV resistance has been tested in Florida, Arizona and UV light box condition for a period or forced period of 2 years. It was given excellent ratings in both yellowness index and fold-ability. In other words, for 2 years it sat in the Arizona sun, had very minimal yellowing, and could still be folded back on itself without any adverse effects.

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_11.jpg

The buttons are made from a stainless steel dome embedded in the keypad. It makes for 75% less moving parts when compared to a toggle switch, but still gives you a click and tactile feedback. They are rated for 1 million button presses per switch. To put that in perspective, you would have to hit each switch 135 times a day for 20 years before it would reach its rated life.

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_25_1.jpg

The controller is the brains of the unit. It contains a processor that takes the input signal from you (via the keypad) and tells the outputs whether to be on or off. (It is much more complicated than this, but this is laymen terms!) :)

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_31.jpg

This type of setup lets us allow you to basically “rewire” the switch panel using a programming mode, instead of actually re-wiring it. In 30 seconds, you can change the way all the switch’s work (momentary or sustained) or when the switch’s work (all the time or only when the key is on). It literally is this fast. The controllers circuitry is “potted”, which means all the electronics inside are encapsulated in epoxy, this helps it to withstand harsh water conditions and heat as shown in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VESuHRJKl10

We also include more legends than anyone! 600 to be exact. If you can’t find what you are looking for in 600 legends, tell us! We even have an eject button, an acme bomb, a DO NOT TOUCH and an EASY legend!

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_33.jpg

We also include an installation kit that has all the correct sized wire, breakers, fuses, and fuse taps that you need to do a professional installation on our product.

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_34.jpg

Installation is easy. You will bring a power wire in from the battery, get an ignition signal from the fuse box, and ground the unt. The keypad plugs into the controller using a quick connect harness. it takes about 2.5 seconds to hook it in. :) Then just bring your power line from your accessory or relay and bring it into the outputs. Each output corresponds to it's respective switch.

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_26_1.jpg

Output rating: We get a lot of questions about why the rating is only 2.5 amps per output. Let me try and explain our reasoning.

We are of the mindset that all larger power items should be mounted outside the cab, but our switch controller would be mounted inside. If we made the output rating 15 amps per, we would be asking you to bring in 4 gauge wire through your firewall, which we did not want to do. By using relays, you will be able to keep all the big power outside, and still have enough power to run a lot of stuff inside. Common inside items would be able to connect direct, like scanners, amp triggers, dome lights, map lights, anything LED, etc… Yes there will be times you need an interior relay, but it won’t be as common as you think.

Most lighting kits come with relays anyway, you just need to find how it is triggered and hook that wire to an output.

If you do hook something that it can’t handle, don’t worry, it will protect its self from damage and shut down the output.

Also the 2.5 amp rating is continuous, the output can handle 4 amps, but we don’t recommend running at the max all the time which is why we rate it at 2.5 amps.

If you have any questions about this system, please ask on this forum and I will answer. :crazy:

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_6.jpg

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
These are all the current videos we have demonstrating the system:

Total overview:

Water Resistance:

All though it is not made to be submersed, it can be and still work. We do not recommend doing this with your switch panel, we are just showing that it will withstand water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VESuHRJKl10&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

If you have any other questions, or would like video of something else, let us know.

Thanks!

Patrick

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
cddavis said:
Very Very nice. When I get the funds, I hope to try one out. It looks very impressive.

EDIT: Looks like it would work well with a Whelen Liberty. It only requires .5 amps for each light function.

liberty, Justice, Edge series strobe. All of those take that and it would work well with any of 'em

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
SlickTop Solutions said:
Are the buttons back lit? If not, why not? Plans for future?

These buttons are not backlit. We have plans to come out with an optional Direct replacment panel but are still working out the bugs. It will increase the thickness little and the cost, but it is something we can see being very usefull. I don't expect to have it out for at least 6 months though. When it is, I will offer a good discount to any previous buyers of the panel. Most likely, we will not include it with any kit, it will just be an option.

Thanks!

Patrick.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
This thing is awesome, how about offering a relay system for larger current items? I will have to put this in for when we remount our brush truck.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
:weird:

WIRED HDH said:
These buttons are not backlit. We have plans to come out with an optional Direct replacment panel but are still working out the bugs. It will increase the thickness little and the cost, but it is something we can see being very usefull. I don't expect to have it out for at least 6 months though. When it is, I will offer a good discount to any previous buyers of the panel. Most likely, we will not include it with any kit, it will just be an option.

Thanks!

Patrick.

As an installer and dealer, I would want to buy/sell one kit, not one kit and then an additional switch panel. What am I or my customer supposed to do with an unused panel?

I echo the request about an extension cable for the control head, not only for a patrol car, but potentially for SUVs.

I could see a relay kit being useful for those that don't know how to set up relays for high power items.

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
SlickTop Solutions said:
:weird:

As an installer and dealer, I would want to buy/sell one kit, not one kit and then an additional switch panel. What am I or my customer supposed to do with an unused panel?

I echo the request about an extension cable for the control head, not only for a patrol car, but potentially for SUVs.

I could see a relay kit being useful for those that don't know how to set up relays for high power items.

I hear you, and glad you asked about the relay setup. www.wiredhdh.com/relay

This is a product that is coming through development right now. I will have to get a video of what it will run. It is rated for 30 amps per output up to 150 amps. You can use it with the switch panel or with your own toggles.

It will be submerssible and able to mount on a frame rail. The idea is to allow someone who wants to ford through a river to be able to do it without having to worry about their electronics. The box is anodized extruded aluminum, and we think we will offer it in about 5 different colors. accessories are connected using a waterproof molex connector. We will probably sell it with a pig tail that you can butt connect into since most people wont have the special terminal crimping tool, but we will provide butt connectors and gluing heat shrink to do it right. We are not messing around when we say this thing is heavy duty, and we won't mess around when we tell you how to hook it up! :)

I am planning on putting together a "High current kit" that will basically be a basic kit for power distribution. It will have a fuse panel, prewired relays, master breaker, heavy gauge wire etc... Everything needed for a novice to install professionally. It will be a top quality kit.

As far as why we would not include the backlit panel with the current kit is because of expense. We might make a kit in the future, and we can always make a package for our dealers, but it looks like it is going to add alot of cost to the existing kit. That panel will be a while though...

Give me lengths on extensions and I will start to get them added.

theroofable said:
This thing is awesome, how about offering a relay system for larger current items? I will have to put this in for when we remount our brush truck.

www.wiredhdh.com/relay

I will get some more pictures up of this setup soon. :)

Thanks!

Patrick

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
SireLite said:
That is one cool looking switch panel.

How much will the 4 switch panel cost?

Also will a longer cable be available for all those who want to mount the brain in the trunk?

We are working on different lengths of cable, do have lengths you would like to see?

I have no idea on the cost of the 4 switch panel, we have done some pricing on it and we didn't like it (too high) so we are looking at ways to design it that will cut the cost. It is a toughy.

Thanks!

Patrick

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
You confused your dog when you put it in the bucket! I would like to see the backlighted version in the future, looks like a good system. What is the need for the 10 gauge cable if you can only run 2.5 amps off of each outlet? Can the switches be programmed for momentary functions? What exactly is programmable in the unit?

Thanks

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
theroofable said:
You confused your dog when you put it in the bucket! I would like to see the backlighted version in the future, looks like a good system. What is the need for the 10 gauge cable if you can only run 2.5 amps off of each outlet? Can the switches be programmed for momentary functions? What exactly is programmable in the unit?
Thanks

The 10 gauge is so you could run all 8 outputs at max load of 20 amps total.

The switches can be individually programmable to be either a momentary or sustained, and also be active all the time, or only when the ignition is on. it takes less then 30 seconds to change the functions, and doesn't require a computer. If you go to 3:45 on the "Total Overview" video we show how it programs. when you have a switch assigned to be active only with the Ignition, it still draws it's power from the main input, not the ignition input, so you don't need to find an ignition signal that can handle a load.

We also have a low voltage protection feature, so if your battery drops below 11.2 volts for longer than 10 seconds it will shut down the accessories. you can disable this if you want.

Thanks!

Patrick.

SireLite

May 21, 2010
Merseyland, England, GB
WIRED HDH said:
We are working on different lengths of cable, do have lengths you would like to see?

With the amount of the siren/switch controllers available. They normally come with around 15 to 20 foot of cable to allow users to mount all their accessories in a convenient location.

Last edited by a moderator:

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
SireLite said:
With the amount of the siren/switch controllers available. They normally come with around 15 to 20 foot of cable to allow users to mount all their accessories in a convenient location.

is 20 feet the longest you think anyone would want?

We are thinking of making 10' extention cables, so getting one would get you 15' and 2 would get you 25' (with th included 5' length)

Patrick

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Although the price is a put-off for me, this is still very cool. Any possibility of a smaller system for vehicles with fewer needs?

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
WIRED HDH said:
We will have 15' harnesses in stock this friday, and panels available Monday (as long as everything goes as planned)

Great news! I'll check over the weekend.

What panels are coming next week, backlit panels? Please, oh please! ;)

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
ahhhh ok. :hissyfit: I figured they'd be longer. Backorders are good, means you have customers! Glad to see a good company grow.

Strobe Craft

Jul 23, 2011
IL
Very great idea! Love everything about it! Hope you guys grow bigger and bigger! Such a great product, from a great company! :cool:

blackcherryxj

Jan 1, 2011
Western Kentucky, USA
Sorry to bring up a old thread, but.....

Can the switch panel be slightly bent to conform to a trim panel? I have a 2007 silverado and thought about this panel to mont on the overhead console, that has a very slight curve to it.

Thanks,

Paul

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
blackcherryxj said:
Sorry to bring up a old thread, but.....

Can the switch panel be slightly bent to conform to a trim panel? I have a 2007 silverado and thought about this panel to mont on the overhead console, that has a very slight curve to it.

Thanks,

Paul

Yes, it's a little flexible so it can be put on a surface with a slight curve. Not sure how tight the console bend is on your truck, though. You'll

need to give a little extra contact time to help the adhesive bond, can't just slap it on and be done with it. I'm actually getting ready to put one in my new Jeep, but haven't installed any of the equipment it'll be used for yet.

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
SireLite said:
Has anyone bought one of these yet?

We have sold a plethora of them to the off road markets. We are working still on back lighting and some other features that would make them more useful for the emergency vehicle market.

TheGatekeeper said:
+1
Also, have you guys found a European distributor / retailer ?

Currently we do not have a European distributor, there are a few dealers but they are pretty inactive. To become an international dealer, you should be prepared to purchase 5 or more units at once, really just to make it worth your while do to shipping costs. as a distributor, you would need to be prepared to buy 50-100 switch panel systems to get the best price to make sure you had the margin to sell to other dealers. Also, for international customers we require payment at time of invoice and are currently not giving terms.

thanks!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Bad news guys..

Went to the Wired HDH website tonight while shopping for a small switch panel, and found out they have closed up shop.

STORE IS CLOSED

We are discontinuing the WIRED HDH Line of products. Please email any questions you may have to info@wiredhdh.com

http://www.shopwiredhdh.com/

Kind of sucks, I liked their product, and it would of been almost perfect for my upcoming install. I just wish both rows of "buttons" were actual buttons..

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
unlisted said:
Bad news guys..

Went to the Wired HDH website tonight while shopping for a small switch panel, and found out they have closed up shop.

http://www.shopwiredhdh.com/

Kind of sucks, I liked their product, and it would of been almost perfect for my upcoming install. I just wish both rows of "buttons" were actual buttons..

It is true, although we are not necessarily closing up shop. Wired HDH was a "brand" of Recreational Electrical LLC which is doing just fine, however the switch panels we were manufacturing have been discontinued as they are not profitable at all and there is no way we can increase the cost of them. We may re-visit the WIRED HDH brand name with a new product someday, but it probably will not be in the near future.

Currently we pulled down the online store and we are rebuilding it under a new name, with a new idea in mind. Once it is further along I will post about it, but I can tell you it is very much for the Emergency vehicle industry and for DIYers or fleet buyers who want an easy way to put warning equipment on their vehicle...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.