Wiring a 6v siren on 12v system

Sgt_Slacker

Sep 19, 2010
hi all! im new to the site and dont know much about wiring emergency lights.

im trying to make a 1955 Buick Roadmaster 4door police car clone.

i have a 6v junior long roll siren model #67 with the rotating light on the front and i have no clue how to wire it up to my 12v system.

i know i need a reducer but what else?? i was reading online that i would need a starter relay? id like to hook it to a push button.

im also wiring double sided 4 1/2" lights on each side of a federal beacon model 17 (6v but i already have a reducer on it) on the roof,

two 4 1/2" lights on the trunk

two 5 1/2" lights on the front bumper (unity h1)

all hooked to wig-wags

also a unity s6 spot light on each side

im gonna hook up the lights to switches, should i put in a fuse box?

ooo i forgot, i have a red top optima battery and a 110 amp alternator, is that good enough?

thanks a lot!!

Sirenman

May 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ USA
To accomplish what you wish on the Federal 67 will be nearly impossible. The siren motor draws appx. 140 amps in 6 volt on start up. To find a voltage reducer to handle that amperage draw will not be possible. What you will need to do is to disassemble the siren and take the motor to a motor shop to have 12 volt field coils installed. As to the light portion of the 67, you can split the service and install an RU-100 voltage reducer in line to the motor only and replace the six volt bulb with a 12 volt one. I sincerely hope that you have an upgraded alternator or generator on this vehicle. I would suggest a minimum of a 125 amp unit. 165 would be better. You can use a switching relay to operate the siren with no problem. Just be sure to use a momentary switch with it.

In regard to the model 17, You can use another RU-100 reducer in line to the motor and replace the 6 volt bulbs with 12 volt ones.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
I agree with Sirenman, you could start there if the budget allows you.

With regards to fusing, if you are putting in one or two switches, you could use in-line fuses at the power source, namely the battery. Keep in mind that any reduction to the wire size generally requires a fuse to protect the new, smaller circuit downrange as a guideline. You want that fuse to protect the smallest gauge wire. A single 30a fuse at the battery to protect a 12g wire which is later split to two 15a fuses under the dash for the smaller wires is an example.

Sgt_Slacker

Sep 19, 2010
Clarence H said:
What type of resistor do you have on the model 17? It must generate a lot of heat! I don't know if you will find a voltage converter that will handle the amps that a mechanical siren pulls.
Clarence

i have a 24 watt 6v to 12v reducer i got off ebay. the bulbs are 12v.

Sgt_Slacker

Sep 19, 2010
Sirenman said:
To accomplish what you wish on the Federal 67 will be nearly impossible. The siren motor draws appx. 140 amps in 6 volt on start up. To find a voltage reducer to handle that amperage draw will not be possible. What you will need to do is to disassemble the siren and take the motor to a motor shop to have 12 volt field coils installed. As to the light portion of the 67, you can split the service and install an RU-100 voltage reducer in line to the motor only and replace the six volt bulb with a 12 volt one. I sincerely hope that you have an upgraded alternator or generator on this vehicle. I would suggest a minimum of a 125 amp unit. 165 would be better. You can use a switching relay to operate the siren with no problem. Just be sure to use a momentary switch with it.
In regard to the model 17, You can use another RU-100 reducer in line to the motor and replace the 6 volt bulbs with 12 volt ones.

i put a 110amp alternator on it and a optima red top battery. i have a RU-100 12v to 6v converter on the model 17 with 12v bulbs.

i put the 12v bulb on the siren, would the RU-100 work for the little motor on the rotating front bulb on the 67??

thank you for the info!!

Sgt_Slacker

Sep 19, 2010
crescentstar69 said:
Can't answer your wiring questions, but post pics when you're done!

P9040008.JPG[/attachment:1jpn7fwd]

option 1: with the three beacons lights (the bulb on the pass. side is spray painted cause i didnt get the blue bulb in yet)

P9020010.JPG[/attachment:1jpn7fwd]

option 2: with converted unity double header 10300 on each side of a federal 15a, im leaning more towards this one my self but with the blue federal 17 (the bulb on the pass. side is spray painted cause i didnt get the blue bulb in yet)

P9040008.JPG

P9020010.JPG

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Rather than trying to choose between the two options, have you considered trying to go with a period look with any of the big city vehicles or better, a local vehicle? You'd get major kudo's for the local version. Good PR for the dept and the community that speaks pride.

Sgt_Slacker

Sep 19, 2010
EVModules said:
Rather than trying to choose between the two options, have you considered trying to go with a period look with any of the big city vehicles or better, a local vehicle? You'd get major kudo's for the local version. Good PR for the dept and the community that speaks pride.

honnestly that was the plan, but I have found many different big city and small town period vehicles and they are all different. So that's why im looking for opinions/sugestions. The little town I live in falls under LAPD and LA sheriffs. No police used a 55 Buick roadmaster, let alone a 4 door.(that I know of) I've just always love old police cars.

My neibor works for a movie car rental place so I'm trying to also rent it out some day. And I'm also gonna use it in my towns 4th of July parade for the American legion. (I'm in the reserves and been deployed a few times) :)

I can't beleive how helpfull great you all have been!!

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Well, in regards to looks, I'm a sucker for a simple red beacon on top and two red bumper lights. I can't recall seeing any 55' cars having any blue lights of that sort.

Best wishes to your project & look forward to seeing the progress if you're willing to share!

Sirenman

May 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ USA
You need to read this again. It states that you can use the RU-100 in line to the motor on the light portion of the model 67. Just use a 12 volt bulb.

John Dorgan

Sgt_Slacker said:
i put a 110amp alternator on it and a optima red top battery. i have a RU-100 12v to 6v converter on the model 17 with 12v bulbs.

i put the 12v bulb on the siren, would the RU-100 work for the little motor on the rotating front bulb on the 67??

thank you for the info!!

Sgt_Slacker

Sep 19, 2010
cool news!! i asked a cop buddy of mine where i can get them motor re wired, and he told me that it would cost more than its worth. he said the motor looks like a 50's ford starter motor. sooo im gonna go to auto parts store and gonna try to mach it up!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.