Wiring Apollo Mini-X to Typhoon Handheld

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
I just bought a Typhoon Handheld, and will hopefully be installing it this weekend or the next, and along with it, wiring in my Apollo Mini-X lightbar. I just want to make sure I have my head wrapped around all of this correctly.

The Mini-X currently has the factory cigarette plug. The Apollo Mini-X instructions doesn't have a wiring diagram, but the Fusion Mini-X instructions have this, which I assume is the same:
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 3.45.39 PM.png

So, step one is apparently ignoring the fact that the diagram is like one of those weird brain tests that has the WORD "Yellow" next to the COLOR green, and visa versa....

But once that's out of the way, if I'm understanding correctly, I will need to tie the "Yellow" Mode 1 wire together with the Red + wire, and insert that into one switch output in the Typhoon's brain. And then insert the "Green" Mode 2 wire into a second switch output. Which would allow me to turn on the light by activating the first switch, and then have the mode 2 pattern come on by activating the second switch (but only with the first switch already on).

Does this make sense? Is there any better way to do this? This is all just a bit more complex than any wiring I've done in the past, and so I'm finding I need to walk/talk myself through everything. Thanks!

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Yes and no, you are correct with the wiring except the red wire. The red wire needs a constant power source, like the battery, because it needs to be fused at 10 Amps. The lightbar could pull up to 5 Amps. The Typhoon's outputs are only rated at a max of 3.5 Amps.

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
Yes and no, you are correct with the wiring except the red wire. The red wire needs a constant power source, like the battery, because it needs to be fused at 10 Amps. The lightbar could pull up to 5 Amps. The Typhoon's outputs are only rated at a max of 3.5 Amps.

Somehow I missed the bit about the outputs only being 3.5A. Knowing that helps on a couple different fronts. Thanks!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
also mode 1 doesnt have to be on for 2 to to be on. it just over rides it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.