Wiring Lights to switch..Help

firefighter31

Sep 16, 2011
Missouri
when you say fuseblock what do you mean? something like this? View attachment 49058

if so you will want to run heavy gauge (fused@ 125% full load of all lights) wire from battery-> switchbox-> proper gauge wire-> fusebox->lights.

hope this helps and makes sense

dwk270

Aug 29, 2012
Oregon
firefighter31 said:
when you say fuseblock what do you mean? something like this? View attachment 49058

if so you will want to run heavy gauge (fused@ 125% full load of all lights) wire from battery-> switchbox-> proper gauge wire-> fusebox->lights.

Yes that is what I have. I am running my switch-box off the fuse block.

I am running wire to the fuse block and trying to run everything off the fuse block.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
firefighter31 said:

Almost right. "from battery-> to master fuse within 18 inches of battery-> fusebox-> switchbox-> proper gauge wire-> lights".

Not sure how this switch panel is wired, but if there is one master power wire that daisy chains to each switch, you'll need to rewire it to be individually powered switches instead of one master power wire.

Here's what you'll want to do with what you have. Fuse your wire coming off of the battery with a master fuse or circuit breaker. If you get into an accident and the wire gets pinched, the fuse will blow and you won't get a fire.

Run this wire to the master input of your fuse block. Then run each fuse to each switch in your switch panel and then out to your lights. If the fuse blows, the light in your switch will extinguish, telling you the fuse has blown.

Leave the daisy chain ground in place as this is part of the circuit for the light inside your switch. Hope that helps.

Tony

dwk270

Aug 29, 2012
Oregon
ERM said:
Almost right. "from battery-> to master fuse within 18 inches of battery-> fusebox-> switchbox-> proper gauge wire-> lights".

Not sure how this switch panel is wired, but if there is one master power wire that daisy chains to each switch, you'll need to rewire it to be individually powered switches instead of one master power wire.

Here's what you'll want to do with what you have. Fuse your wire coming off of the battery with a master fuse or circuit breaker. If you get into an accident and the wire gets pinched, the fuse will blow and you won't get a fire.

Run this wire to the master input of your fuse block. Then run each fuse to each switch in your switch panel and then out to your lights. If the fuse blows, the light in your switch will extinguish, telling you the fuse has blown.

Leave the daisy chain ground in place as this is part of the circuit for the light inside your switch. Hope that helps.

Tony

That's how I did it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.