Wiring older siren/controller to new controller??

carguy4471

Dec 28, 2018
MN
Is this something folks do? Is it possible to wire an older siren, such as a touchmaster, to a new controller like a 4200??

I'm pretty electronically savvy but wanted to ask before I jumped the gun and started buying some things.

Thanks!!

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
As long as the siren has a Power input, and uses trigger wires to activate a tone, you can use it without a problem. If the siren requires the output of the controller to run the siren, then a Relay will be required. Each output on the 4200 is good for 5a

carguy4471

Dec 28, 2018
MN
So.... basically if it uses switches on the face of the unit, I'd have to relay each input and solder to the back of the switch....??? Seems like what you are getting at.

carguy4471

Dec 28, 2018
MN
Dang! I was kinda hoping i could just solder in a couple wires on the back side of some switches and be done with it. I like the attractive cost of some of the older models on ebay, but I'd surely wind up with a nest of relays and wires running into the box. :(

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
You might be happy with a Unitrol 80K or Omega 90 instead of a Touchmaster. Both lend themselves to remoting. The Omega 90 will offer you a wider range of tones and functions than the 80K, but it will also likely cost more.

carguy4471

Dec 28, 2018
MN
That's some good info there!! Looks to be a few 80k units pretty cheap on ebay as well. I appreciate the input!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.