Wobbling AeroDynic rotator

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Hi all,

one of my AeroDynic 24EAH outer rotator is wobbling after a couple of rotation when turned on. I suppose this isn't good for the gears. I tried to chim it by cutting a cheap homemade washer/spacer in a margerine lid and lubricating it with white grease. But even this was too thick and even though it fitted, it jammed the clutch at one time so I removed it. I guess I could do it again with something even thinner...

Have you came across this problem or found solutions other than replacing the rotator? The rotator assembly is old, but is still looking very good. Motor date is 1983, just saying...

Thanks!

FedSigFan

May 21, 2010
DFW
I had the same problem. I used a toothpick to force some white lithum (sp?) grease into the tiny holes found around the base of the gear. Then I'd let it run for a minute, and insert some more grease. It is not the most elegant method, I know there's a small grease gun that Federal used to sell that would do this much easier. But it worked for me.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Yeah, I've read about the grease gun, but where to find it???

If it's only greasing in between, I'll give it a shot. Some pharmacy sometime have syringe with tiny plastic needle. I'll try that.

Thanks, fedsig! :D

Phil

Jun 2, 2010
New England
FedSigFan said:
I know there's a small grease gun that Federal used to sell that would do this much easier. But it worked for me.

I have some of those, let me know if you need one.

Its an adapter for your grease gun that allows you to put grease into that tiny hole.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
All right. Problem solved.

I went to the local pharmacy to buy a 1$ syringe. (I think they took me for a junkie until I told them it was for gear greasing. They laughed and sold me the thing) I then pumped it with white grease and fitted it in the greasing port. No more wobbling for 1.17$ ;)

Very practical to grease tiny holes and places.

Thanks Fedsigfan! I didn't think the only problem could be ONLY greasing. The whole bar runs much quieter than before. I greased all gears. The only thing you hear, now, is the ticking flasher. :D

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.