Wreckers & Snow Plows - "Anything But All-Amber"

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I've always taken notice of wreckers and plow trucks with lighting that's outside the usual amber/amber/amber. Especially in New Mexico where they use all blue and Michigan where red/amber is common. Curious to see what's out there. Show us your pics.

Last edited:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
As I understand it MI wreckers can only use the red when stopped in the public right of way.

EMS10EMT

Aug 31, 2010
NJ
there are alot of companies in north jersey that use all amber in the front and amber/red/blue to the rear. I think its wierd, but the troopers dont seem to take issue.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
EMS10EMT said:
there are alot of companies in north jersey that use all amber in the front and amber/red/blue to the rear. I think its wierd, but the troopers dont seem to take issue.

Blue has become a free for all in NJ it seems

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
JohnMarcson said:
As I understand it MI wreckers can only use the red when stopped in the public right of way.

True, but I think that's an unenforced technicality. I see them all the time with lights actived while pulling a vehicle. Even using "all red".

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
LRGJr72 said:
True, but I think that's an unenforced technicality. I see them all the time with lights actived while pulling a vehicle. Even using "all red".

I know a of a MI wrecker getting cited for doing so. I imagine like many other things it depends on who sees you doing it etc.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
A few

367724788tGiSle_ph.jpg

cooter-s-tow-truck-at.jpg

imagesCA9X13I1.jpg

rh1a.jpg

tow-trucks-humor.jpg

tow_truck_1977.jpg

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I'm not sure this exactly fits the topic of lighting but this is my all time favorite wrecker. If I had the money, I'd build something similar just to have fun with. I'm a lover of old hot rods from the late '50's into the early '70's before cars got computerized.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa90 ... 08d_12.jpg

Tri-State PSE

May 21, 2010
Middletown, Ohio
After seeing Many wreckers in and around the Cincinnati area, one sticks out above the others.

It has an MX7000 with clear domes and multi-colored filters: Red, Amber, Green, and white (no filter) all displaying 360 degrees. Everything but Blue.

It looks like a Christmas tree with all those colors. :cool:

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Phillyrube said:
My pet peeve......I have written a bunch for white lights and HAW lights. Not allowed in Virginia.....

That blows no HAWs in white :(

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
I'll get some pics in a few days when I'm back in MO. Almost all the wreckers that I've seen out there run red and blue.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
I'll get some pics in a few days when I'm back in MO. Almost all the wreckers that I've seen out there run red and blue.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
LRGJr72 said:

For MI, wreckers are only allowed to run red while actively assisting or hooking up to a car. As soon as they clear the scene they have to switch to amber or nothing at all. Most companies stick to all red bars, but I've seen a few new ones with red corners and amber inboards. Every company is different though.

My buddy's dad has some real nice wreckers.

ai250.photobucket.com_albums_gg245_DaveCN5_modzelewskis_1.jpg

ai250.photobucket.com_albums_gg245_DaveCN5_modzelewskis_3.jpg

ai250.photobucket.com_albums_gg245_DaveCN5_modzelewskis_9.jpg

ai250.photobucket.com_albums_gg245_DaveCN5_modzelewskis_10.jpg

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
stansdds said:
Wreckers have always been "all amber" in Virginia.

They often use red S/T/T in back, though, which I have no problem with, EXCEPT that the newer LED lightbars often will add a "blinky" effect when the red lights turn on, so they often use 4-way flashers to get a lot more eye-catching effect with the red lights than I think they should. That just seems to me like they're trying to cheat the law.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
JohnMarcson said:

They can't use any lights, red or amber, unless it is "necessary for public safety".

Reactions: jprleedy4680

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
nerdly_dood said:
They often use red S/T/T in back, though, which I have no problem with, EXCEPT that the newer LED lightbars often will add a "blinky" effect when the red lights turn on, so they often use 4-way flashers to get a lot more eye-catching effect with the red lights than I think they should. That just seems to me like they're trying to cheat the law.

Oh no, not too eye catching by using their four way flashers, what ever will we do. I sure hope someone puts a stop to this. Maybe some fucken politician can come up with a law to ban that.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Cam said:
Oh no, not too eye catching by using their four way flashers, what ever will we do. I sure hope someone puts a stop to this. Maybe some fucken politician can come up with a law to ban that.

Actually.... having your four ways or brake lights do a flash pattern rather than stead on and off is illegal in some places. lol

Reactions: got_yogurt

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I don't think brake light flashers explicitly legal here, but I've seen them installed on plenty of vehicles - even the HCMSL in some aging compact Kia once... I do know that California explicitly allows them to produce up to 4 flashes before going steady.

One thing that really gets me is that the DC metro transit authority has some sort of handicapped vans (don't know how they're used) with the normal two brake lights down low, a normal brake light up high, which are all properly steady-burning, but up top next to the CHMSL they've got a pair of red Gen1 LED strips that FLASH along with the steady-burning brake lights. They don't blink and then go steady, they keep on flashing. This really aggravates me (and it really shouldn't...)

in other news:

Washington, DC Parking Authority uses blue JetStrobe lightbars that blow a strobe Vista out of the water - MUCH more powerful, comparable to a Whelen Edge 9M. Don't know about the amber in the center of some of them, it was turned off here. Also, the MPDC has tow trucks with Jetstream lightbars in red and blue on the outside with a bit of amber in the center.

[Broken External Image]:http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums...ss/foe_toez/Cop Cars n Stuff/DCtowtrucks2.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums...ss/foe_toez/Cop Cars n Stuff/DCtowtrucks1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
ND - amber only (but get by with some clear for HAWs and rotators w/o filters)

MN - red & amber. Red is only to be used when stationary/on scene, but I've seen them tooling around with them on as well.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
cbpdogboy said:
Very nice and it's for sale...

I'm confused.... what does harley have to do with a wrecker? Seems like there is a harley limied edition of everything now....

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Cam said:

You fail to understand what is happening here. Four way flashers activate the bar's STT lights, which are triggered to rapidly flash upon each activation...hence flashing red lights in a de-legalized region.

cory y

May 21, 2010
I 26 said:
You fail to understand what is happening here. Four way flashers activate the bar's STT lights, which are triggered to rapidly flash upon each activation...hence flashing red lights in a de-legalized region.

yes but you have to be some kinda asshole cop to write them for that.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
JohnMarcson said:
I'm confused.... what does harley have to do with a wrecker? Seems like there is a harley limied edition of everything now....

Yea they'll sell their name to anyone! Soon SpeedTech Lights will have a harley line! HAHAHAHHA

Reactions: PJD642

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
That wrecker is used to tow other Harley Lonestars that are pulling trailers loaded with Harley Ford pickups that have real H-Ds in their beds. And you need to wear Harley boots and other apparel while driving it.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Jared @ 911Lights said:
WMATA (Washington Metro Area Transportation Authority) Access Para-transit Vans has the Whelen Strip Lights on them, they flash fast back-and-forth when the brakes are activated. It comes out of an incident several years ago where a van was rear-ended (and I believe flipped over) while stopped on the side of the road.

a2.bp.blogspot.com__2ZvV0BgOUE0_TKs1ZV1HAjI_AAAAAAAABAM_SX7e6u_1Os4_s1600_metroaccessdouche.jpg

The Parking Enforcement Tow Trucks (part of Dept Public Works not Dept of Transportation, don't get me started on that) run either Blue/Amber or Blue/Blue, they were moving more towards All Blue but they just recently put a bunch of Blue/Amber on some of their other vehicles.

-Jared

I'm quite certain the LED strips on those vans are not synchronized to any alternating flash pattern, but they do flash in a pretty eye-catching manner.

The tow trucks I've seen with blue and amber still had blue as the primary color, and I haven't seen one with the amber turned on.

And along the same lines as those tow trucks:

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_DSC00073.jpg

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
And the only difference in the Harley-Davidson Edition Lonestar is that you get Harley Davidson badging, Harley Davidson motorcycle headlights, and a modified interior. All for an additional $12K.

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
nerdly_dood said:
And along the same lines as those tow trucks:

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_DSC00073.jpg

Looks like the stole the strobe of a HomeDepot forklift which use blue strobe lights for what ever reason. I never could understand why someone would bother going to the trouble to mount one of those lights. If your going to do it why not use something that you can tell when it is on. I say this thinking that is not one of the Whelen L50 light.

Reactions: steve a

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Cam said:
Looks like the stole the strobe of a HomeDepot forklift which use blue strobe lights for what ever reason. I never could understand why someone would bother going to the trouble to mount one of those lights. If your going to do it why not use something that you can tell when it is on. I say this thinking that is not one of the Whelen L50 light.

It's an L53 LED beacon.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.