WS-227A Amp not Working !

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I got a WS-227A a little while ago. It's in excellent condition. It's the WS-227AE version that connected directly to an Edge bar. I've powered it up and the backlight works fine. I can't hear any tones from the siren driver/amp when using the siren control knob, the airhorn or manual buttons. The slide switch doesn't light up its LEDs, nor do the aux buttons light up. I suspect that these two are because it's not connected to a bar.

As for the siren, is it also the case that the system needs to be connected to a lightbar? If not, what might be going on? I don't want to say that it's dead, given its condition.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Start with the basics, Any fuses on the boards? Any fuses in the rear of the siren? Are they all good? Open it up, look at the boards anything look cooked?

I would defer to see what our resident whelen experts would say, but you could always use a meter to see if you get any voltage changes when trying to output a siren with nothing actually connected.

Reactions: WhelenNDealin

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Checked it all out. Only thing that looks suspicious is a small area around the wiring to the ah, crap, brain fart moment, the component that's ring-shaped and wrapped with copper wire. The circuit board near the connections look a tiny bit toasted. Only one fuse in the rear and believe me I checked it before firing it up.

Part of me thinks that it indeed has to be connected to an Edge bar. Don't know why this is. Gut feeling?

Hooked it up to a speaker and nothing.i reckon @MtnMan has some answers, but he's swamped. Worst case scenario, I'll send it his way along with a siren I've been meaning to get fixed for a couple years now.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I looked and couldn't find it. That's ok. This one's in great condition and even if I have to pay for a repair, I'll have still gotten this for a very good price. I'm sure that there's an explanation for the hows and whys of what's going on.

lights9797

Jun 9, 2010
new york

Rare unit

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
As much as I'd like a WS-224A, don't have the money for that. I'm more focused on figuring out what's going on with mine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.