WS-227A Wiring and Harness/Cabling Types

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I can't make heads or tails of how these were wired. My best guess is one cable to the amp and one from the control head that's coupled to another cable using a Molex connector. Mine has no cables, making things that much more confusing. I've looked at the black connectors and although very similar looking, their layout is slightly different. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the Molex connector on the amp is for power, siren out, horn ring and radio rebroadcast.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Relay connector:
20210116_170836.jpg
Amp connections:
20210116_170841.jpg
Control head connections:

20210116_170941.jpg
20210116_171252.jpg

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada

upnorth896

Dec 13, 2011
MI
I can't make heads or tails of how these were wired. My best guess is one cable to the amp and one from the control head that's coupled to another cable using a Molex connector. Mine has no cables, making things that much more confusing. I've looked at the black connectors and although very similar looking, their layout is slightly different. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the Molex connector on the amp is for power, siren out, horn ring and radio rebroadcast.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Relay connector:
View attachment 227634
Amp connections:
View attachment 227635
Control head connections:

View attachment 227636
View attachment 227637
I might have a copy of the install guide in the archives at my department that Whelen sent us some years back. We used the WS-227A in conjunction with our Edge 9000's back in the 80's. I'll check and forward it to you if I can locate it

Reactions: WhelenNDealin

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I might have a copy of the install guide in the archives at my department that Whelen sent us some years back. We used the WS-227A in conjunction with our Edge 9000's back in the 80's. I'll check and forward it to you if I can locate it
Thank you! Very much appreciated! An earlier post provided part of the puzzle with an uploaded WS-224/WS-227A install guide, but there are still a bunch of missing pieces, such as that involving the relay box and ideally a parts list.

I'm really appreciative of everyone's help. This siren was very high up on my most wanted list and honestly, I wasn't holding my breath that I'd ever get one.

One thing that I find interesting is that the control head buttons aren't white for decals plus a red one, but white, green and yellow and red. What was the purpose of having control heads with different button color options? Wasn't red for turning an Edge's low intensity mode on/off?

Also never knew that they had the three small button posts for controlling aux functions and what I'm guessing are for headlight flashers or maybe for strobe intensity (marked H/L)?

upnorth896

Dec 13, 2011
MI
Found it! Here's the manual for the Whelen WS-227A. Hopefully it loads. Feel free to copy to the Vintage Whelen area as well

Attachments

• WS227A install guide.pdf
    363.6 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: WhelenNDealin

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Shooting from the hip, the round black connector may be a 6-pin DIN.

The white square connector is a 9-pin AMP connector, listed with a Whelen part number in this guide: https://www.whelen.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/AMP_Connectors.pdf

Looks like you're right about the DIN 6 connector. I've ordered an end to end male connector/cable. They were a bit tricky to find at first. Everything was either Mini DIN or had the wrong number of pins. Turns out that Commodore 64s used DIN 6 for their keyboards and printers.

I'll let everyone know how it goes once I get it. I think that I have that AMP connector for the amp box if it's the same one that the WS-295 and SVP SA-400 used. I have a few of those kicking around with the most of my stuff about 7.5 hours north of here. I'll have it added to another big parcel of collection stuff. If it isn't, I'll figure out some way to get one.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Quick update: the connector was most certainly a DIN6 connector. One down, one to go!

Jun 18, 2013
PA
The round Din plug looks like an old AT style connector. Which makes even more sense if you said a C64 used it.

As for the 9 pin molex style, you might want to search around some surplus electronic sites or shops, you probably can find something that if not an exact match, will be something you can modify. You just need the wiring pin out schematics..

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
The round Din plug looks like an old AT style connector. Which makes even more sense if you said a C64 used it.

As for the 9 pin molex style, you might want to search around some surplus electronic sites or shops, you probably can find something that if not an exact match, will be something you can modify. You just need the wiring pin out schematics..
The only good electronics shop that I'm told did great repairs for lighting and sirens closed recently. The owner retired, but I'll still dig around.

Thanks to the help of posters on this thread, I was fortunate enough to be able to get the schematics for the entire system. It's just a matter of getting the connector(s). Looking forward to getting it going!

Jun 18, 2013
PA
@ProPatriaNeverPassAFault
Take a look at these and let me know if you think they'll work.
Not an exact match, but you can probably mod them to work for you.

This is from a defunct power supply for a touch screen barcade that I just repaired and put back into service.

Optimized-20210220_211932.jpg

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for confirming. I'm happy to have helped!

@shues I've asked plenty of questions on the board and depending on what they were, chances are you'd hop on and provide some helpful answers! No shortage of helpful members here.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.