XXX XXXX

StewartComm

May 23, 2010
Jerusalem, Ohio
Hello All,

I need some input...Not sure if this is the correct area to post this, but here it goes...

My department, which has been XXXX XXXX XXXX has been "kicked out" of a county that

it covers per request of the XXXX XXXX. The XXXX XXXX had a meeting with the XXXX XXXX

and they came to an agreement.

XXXX XXXX as a whole does not like XXXX because we are from XXXX XXXX and they believe

we should stay in XXXX.

To give you an idea how close we are...or our situation...

XXXX (XXXX XXXX) is XXXX XXXX from the XXXX XXXX on a State Route Highways. (Average Response Time <6 minutes)

XXXX (XXXX XXXX) is the next closest at about 8 or 9 miles. (Average Response Time >15 minutes)

XXXX (XXXX XXXX) is the third closest at 10 or more miles. (Average Response Time >15 minutes)

XXXX XXXX has been trying to ban XXXX from their county for a number of years, because we are "taking" their calls

and they do not get paid for it.

XXXX XXXX XXXX is XXXX XXXX per XXXX, per call.

Plus $150 for each IV, Plus expenses, Plus Transport

XXXX XXXX is paid $0 per EMT, per Call.

We bill for Transport and Equipment Used/Ruined

The XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX, without XXXX, or any other entity besides themselves, and maybe perhaps

the XXXX XXXX being aware of what was going to happen, went to the XXXX XXXX and voted to have

XXXX stay in XXXX XXXX.

Mind you that the new XXXX XXXX is inside the XXXX XXXX. Any calls in XXXX XXXX, unless on a cell phone, goes directly

to XXXX XXXX. Hence XXXX XXXX decides who gets called where. We are dispatched by XXXX XXXX XXXX and

if they receive a call inside XXXX XXXX, they have to call XXXX XXXX to ask them who they want dispatched, because of

liability.

XXXX sits just inside the XXXX XXXX line and covers a vast majority of XXXX XXXX. Their primary dispatch is

through XXXX XXXX, however, they can still be dispatched by XXXX XXXX. It works the same way, if a call comes

to XXXX XXXXX from XXXX, they have to ask XXXX who they want dispatched. If the call is in XXXX XXXX, then

XXXX XXXX has authority on who gets dispatched via the CAD and runcards.

My question, or questions are.....what do we, as a department do? What kind of liability falls on the XXXX because of these actions.

The XXXX is broken into XXXX and the XXXX, without the XXXX XXXX approval, or knowledge of, went ahead and made

and approved this decision via the XXXX XXXX.

Can anybody tell us where we stand...do we need to contact the news...to let our residents know what is going on? Is this unlawful?

Any input would greatly be appreciated. Sorry for the confusion, if there is any...I'm still a little bit frustrated about the entire situation.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Last edited:

StewartComm

May 23, 2010
Jerusalem, Ohio
Hoser said:
Do you have contract's with the townships to provide protection and EMS?

None of the XXXX provide XXXX XXXX. We have a shared contract with XXXX. The eastern part of the township is in their coverage area...the western and rest of the XXXX is XXXX responsibility.

Last edited:

StewartComm

May 23, 2010
Jerusalem, Ohio
Hoser said:
I would check with the trustee's that you have a contract with.

We are in the midst of checking with them and seeing what they propose to do about the problem.

What do we do about the XXXX changing the response map, of who gets called where, it gets changed

weekly, or more often and we sometimes lose calls if we do not monitor their county.

Last edited:

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
The Sheriff in your county really needs to get involved and speak out to their Sheriff. Also I would check with the COUNTY commissioners at their next meeting and see what they say about all the changes. Here in my county, **and I know everywhere is different**, but the Sheriff doesn’t do much of anything unless he has the blessing of the commissioners. I can’t see how the Sheriff can change response areas without the consent of the particular jurisdiction being involved. Politics in Ohio are getting out of control and I don’t see a swift end for it unless someone is seriously injured or killed as a result.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Fluffy,

I hear where you are coming from I lived in Findlay for years moved here where I am now. Was going to move the wife and kids back there. Went to visit a nimber of years ago and all has changed.

Including the politics.

Went and checked with local fire and they told me even though I was if the fire service at the time for 12 yrs would have to start all over and take the firefighter cource again.

Don't get me wrong loved Findlay, but to much has changed since I left in '75.

Also up here the Sheriff doen't have a say in anything. but we do have to watch out when called for mutual aid and get there first usually just let it go unless the call for a paramedic and give the crap when they get there.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
Hoser said:
Biggest issue I see is the Sheriff control's the 911 system in most counties.

Unfortunately, the Sheriff is required to maintain the 911 system in each county per ORC. That is the biggest problem we are having here to.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
StewartComm said:
We are in the midst of checking with them and seeing what they propose to do about the problem.

What do we do about the Sheriff changing the response map, of who gets called where, it gets changed

weekly, or more often and we sometimes lose calls if we do not monitor their county.

So you jump their calls? After he changed the response map?

StewartComm

May 23, 2010
Jerusalem, Ohio
Zack said:
So you jump their calls? After he changed the response map?

No, we do not jump their calls. We use the approved map that they are supposed to use.

It seems that the map changes with the dispatchers over there.

We take what is rightfully ours.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
The Sheriff controls the 911 system yes. But the commissioners are they ones who say who they want responding or not. The Sheriff (IMHO) is opening us a can of worms by say who is going to respond there or not. We have so many departments who by choice of the people elected to run the township respond when it doesn't make sense. But that's the thing they want so they get it. We have a local municipal EMS that responds into the county north of us because the elected officials approached them to have them respond. They then went to the S.O. of that county and said simply... YOU call them - They come here. They Sheriff said... "O.K." because thats what they want.

The only way your going to fix this issue because I have been dealing with the same stuff in a way here (and as Chief has confirmed) is your company officials need to get into the township meetings or trustee meetings and state your case. You need to tell them that if they want you to respond they need to go to the Sheriff and tell him that and he should listen. Key word there being SHOULD. It would be a great dis-service to the residents there if you are the one they want and the Sheriff doesn't listen.

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
You could run a smear campaign.

Let the residents know in that area that you have a 6min response time vs. their 15min times.

Watch how fast that sheriff changes his tune.

People become very receptive when the safety of their children is as stake.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.