Yankee Dietz lightbar restore

You are correct, Michael. The end caps are the first clue as the are at an angle inward from top to bottom. The solid center section means it was most likely a wrecker version of the DualComm (I have one that has clear domes and solid speaker cover--it came on the wrecker when new). BPD would have had mostly red to the rear on the driver's side.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
There is R/R one of these bars still in use at the local Airport in Lake Havasu City AZ... It's sitting on a late 70's ford.

Reactions: FiremanSketch

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
How can is see what the voltage is of the light? could it be 24v since the rotators are 1/2 speed of all youtube videos i see?
What do you mean with ”1/2” speed and to what specific bar do you refer to?
The usual flash rate in the US at the time is about 80-100 fpm.
24Volt in the US is more or less only used by the US Armed Forces and a few fire vehicle manufakturers
All cars and commercial vehicles use 12Volt.

Michael

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Thats amazing!
Awesome work!

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
The bar in this movie seems to have about 90 fpm which is normal speed.
I do not find any movie of your amber light so I can not compare.
If you say that it has half the speed (45 fpm) something is wrong.
Where did you get that bar?
In Europe or in the US?
If it has been used in Europe it might be a 24Volt bar.
If there are no markings on the motors there is no way to know the Voltage.
Did it came without sealed beams?

Michael

Reactions: Thomas1234

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
By the way, I have looked at your pictures again and I can see that yours have a name tag on the speaker grill and to what I know it was only Yankee that had that.

I have made little more research on the Yankee and this is what I have come up with for now.

Yankee was founded in 1915 and started production in 1917.
Production seems to have been mostly rear view mirrors and lamps.
Their production of warning equipment started in 1971.
Dietz bought Yankee in 1978.
The 911 roof bar should have come about that time.
Yankee closed down in 1985.
It is logical to assume that Dietz started to manufacture and sell the 911 at that time after cancellation of the OmniChief.

Michael

Thomas1234

Oct 4, 2016
Nterhelands
What was these? 12Volt or 24Volt?

These are 12v, can't find any markings on the motor, and the badge is faded..i cleaned the motor, and both rotate at the same slower speed, so i might think this is a 24v bar, with 12V Sealed beam. Thanks for all the info, appreciated!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The most obvious visual difference I can see between a Yankee / Dietz bar and a Signal Stat bar is the speaker grille.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
I wrote abow that Dietz bought Yankee in 1978 but it should more likely have been in 1977 because they filed for the trademark then and it was garanted in 1978.

That should meen in any way that Dietz was the owner of Yankee when the Yankee 911 came on the market but that they let Yankee handle their development and sales themself.
After the closedown of Yankee in 1985 the toolings was probably moved to Dietz and the 911 was manufactured and sold as Dietz 911 until Federal/Mogul bought Dietz in 1990 and the bar become Signal-Stat branded.

Michael

The Malenkov

Apr 6, 2024
Philippines
Well I've seen the same type of lightbar on some other cruisers in my country, here is an example below, I was wondering if you also noticed a label or makers mark on any of the lightbar's sides?
i546337.png

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.