Federal FIRE BALL Family History

Federal Signal's 2nd Version Flash Ball was still a non rotating light like the Version 1, with some design changes.
It had the larger magnet, was available in halogen or incandescent bulb, and had a new reflector and socket design.
The reflector was still stationary. The bulb was flashed by a flasher for a directional warning.
These Flash Balls are even more rare than the Version 1 Flash Balls.
Dmathieu, are you sure that there are FB-FH with halogen bulb ?

The clear is F7, in keeping with the newer version FB series, and yes, the 2nd version Flash Ball was made in both incandescent and halogen versions.

Ref. lighter plugs - Radio Shack use to sell the center black plug with 10 ft of lamp cord that I use to buy to replace bad lighter plugs on lights. It was cheap. Wish they still sold them

Reactions: Raynie
The earliest date that I have is a sales bulletin #353E which includes the Flash Ball Model FBF, dated April, 1960.
For the newer version, I have no information, but could go into the early 1990s.

Red plugs from fed Signal give me the buying confidence the Fireball/Flashball is original and collectable. Otherwise I get nervous you are dealing with knock off!

The Flashball was removed from production before the Fireball FB11/12 production ended. The Flashball was not in the 1989 Federal catalog.

Another different Fire Ball.....
FB-4
This is powered by a base mounted phono plug in the mounting surface.
I've seen one of these before, decided to grab this ones-l1600 (55).jpg s-l1600 (56).jpg

Reactions: Tony P
S6305148.JPG S6305117.JPG This light has a very different shaped anti vibration plate to allow room for the phono plug socket,
AND.... the part number looks to be EB 4, not FB 4!!!!!!!
I've never seen this before!
Another nice piece for my Fire Ball sub-collection!S6305113.JPG S6305114.JPG S6305115.JPG S6305116.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Raynie
Just found a FB-2 Fire Ball with interesting electronics inside. The electronics are between the motor leads and pos. and neg input. Not sure what it does. Any ideas?
I will post more pics after receiving the light.s-l1600 (62).jpg

Found this picture of the other Fire Ball that I've seen with these added electronics.
Can ANYBODY shed light on what these might do to the light?
The added electronics must do something to the motor function, as they are located in line between the power inlet, and the wires supplying power to the motor.
82905_0ac48111dbc686bcab29f43cf9459cab.JPG

I have seen this before and I believe it was to prevent electrical noise of the motor running back into the vehicles' electrical system, suppression or isolation to prevent noise in the old two way radios. Possibly an old military spec if I recall..

Chris

GOT IT.....well, at least I think I do.
The RPM speed on this Fire Ball with added electronics is approximately 2X, or close to it, the RPM speed of a typical FB-1.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minnesota_em_vehicles