'17 F-350 High Idle

Veinside

Dec 31, 2012
NH
Good Evening,

I am trying to install a high-idle function into our 2017 Ford F-350 chassis, which didn't come from the factory with the function. The truck has the 6.7L Diesel engine.

I have located the following document outlining how to wire said function into the PCM.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-256.pdf

I have concluded that 12V power needs to be applied to the Violet / Brown wire going to the PCM in order for the function to work, as well as the following conditions:

Parking brake applied.
Foot off of service brake
Vehicle in PARK (or NEURTRAL)
Foot off of accelerator pedal
Vehicle speed is 0 mph (stationary)
Engine at a stable base idle speed
Transmission Oil Temp above 20° F - 6.7L only
Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) 40° F minimum.

I have wired this up, but the truck does not seem to be responding to any sort of increased electrical load. I do not currently have an indicator light wired to the BCP LP circuit.

Am I missing something? Possibly a wire that I am associating with one of the other functions i.e. SEIC, PTO use?I am trying to use the BCP mode.

Last edited:

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
after looking over document I think you overlooked an important step. This bullet point.

A Resistor must be installed between DIESEL PTO REF and PTO RPM for both Diesel and Gasoline engines.

Which corresponds to this engagement sequence

3. PCM looks for a valid voltage between 0.2 to 4.7 Volts on the PTO RPM circuit

Sequence 1-3 must be met for the BCP mode to activate not just the first two. According to their chart anything between 650 and 54K ohm 1 watt resistor will give you the proper voltage between the Diesel PTO Ref and PTO RPM. If you look at the chart you can ignore the engine target speed because as stated in the note below it's automatic.

NOTE: BCP is a smart system. Engine idle will not increase unless the vehicle senses an increase in electrical demand. Under periods of low electrical demand, the operator may not notice any change in engine RPM. It is recommend that the modifier install an indicator lamp to alert the operator that BCP is properly engaged.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.