2007 Dodge Charger HLF

microman

May 20, 2010
KC Metro
We recently received a contract to make installs and repairs for one of the metro police departments. One of thier issues is the previous installer did some questionable work, which we now have to get thru (see attached pictures). Anyways, one of the vehicles is a 2007 Dodge Charger. The headlight flasher is not working (only flashing one side) and they need it repaired. I checked to regular locations under the seat and in the center console, but could not locate the installed HLF. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? Judging by the install, it could be anywhere. Thanks for the help.

ai160.photobucket.com_albums_t166_micromanindustries_BSPD308.jpg

ai160.photobucket.com_albums_t166_micromanindustries_BSPD323.jpg

CovertRam

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario Canada
First things first. Check the bulb and make sure the high beam filament is not burned out.

Second, you will have to see if the departments Chargers are actual police package models. The police package models have a module that takes care of HLF. It is integrated with the body control module.

microman

May 20, 2010
KC Metro
CovertRam said:
First things first. Check the bulb and make sure the high beam filament is not burned out.

Second, you will have to see if the departments Chargers are actual police package models. The police package models have a module that takes care of HLF. It is integrated with the body control module.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. The high beam bulb is OK. Yes, they are actual police package models. I thought that there was an external flasher in conjunction with the BCM under the front seat?

CovertRam

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario Canada
I'm not very familiar with the OEM Police Interface module in the Charger/Magnum but I wouls still start off with some basic diagnostics. See if you can get a wiring schematic for the police package charger. You may have to use some aftermarket software like Mitchell On Demand since the dealer may not give you the diagrams. A multimeter is your friend in this situation. Don't forget that these cars use negative switching so don't be alarmed if you have a constant +12v going to the bulb socket at all times.

I forgot to ask if both sides light up on high. If they both light up on high then I would start looking at the police interface module.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
The go to fix for Charger PTIM problems is to reset the PTIM by removing power to the car for 30 minutes (erroring on the side of longer than probably necessary). Once power cable is removed from the battery, touch the battery cable to the ground post to dump any capacitor charge. Then wait. Once powered back up, see if this has fixed the issue. If not, PTIM may need replaced. You need to completely isolate the PTIM module and test it first. Word of caution, 2006 & 2007 Chargers required upfitters to use diodes and resistors to interface with the module. If this wasn't done properly, it could be a big part of the problem. Sean @ EVModules is the SME for this situation.

Good luck. Download the 2006/07 upfitters guide and read it before proceeding. The PTIM is located behind the lower dash to console trim cover, just under the HVAC. It is a plastic black box the size of a pack of cards and tucks into a cubby. If I remember correctly.

microman

May 20, 2010
KC Metro
Yep, already read the upfitters guide and know about the diodes/resistors. I need to check to make sure the previous installer has them in place. I will start with removing power and see what happens. Thanks for the info! I'll let you know if it worked.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.