2011 Caprice PPV

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
I found threads on the Taurus Interceptor and new Dodge Charger, but not the Caprice. So here it is. Post new pics and info as it becomes available. Also discuss news and features.

Personally, I want to try and get a 9C3 as a POV...but that may be wishful thinking.

Here is a new pic I found, presumably from testing in Michigan.

ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu64_BoondockSaint3100_Random_Capriceppv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
When i can afford it i'll buy one and slap some Impala SS logos on it!

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Fast LT1 said:
When i can afford it i'll buy one and slap some Impala SS logos on it!

The general public can not buy a new Caprice PPV new or even if it is damaged in transit, if a dealer is caught selling one to the public they will loose their police contract to sell police vehicles per GM. The Tahoe & Impala PPV can still be bought new as it is not a police only vehicle.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
K9Vic said:
The general public can not buy a new Caprice PPV new or even if it is damaged in transit, if a dealer is caught selling one to the public they will loose their police contract to sell police vehicles per GM. The Tahoe & Impala PPV can still be bought new as it is not a police only vehicle.

SAVE YOUR BREATH! I'm tired of people saying this already, its not hard to get these when you handle the funds for your departments vehicles and equipment! I can order one under the department name and gm order number, take out a loan and pay the department a small percentage more than the cost of the car, and the chief gave me that idea, because he bought a Tahoe PPV for his personal car! So GM can kiss my ass because i'm getting one!

And for the people that don't have that option it won't take long for some departments to swap them out. Departments like the KHP swap out they're cars before they hit 50k miles, and they will sell to civilians!

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
"In 1993, the Kansas Legislature established the Kansas Highway Patrol Motor Vehicle Fund to help the Patrol purchase replacement vehicles for its fleet. Today, the fund's solvency depends on revenues collected from a portion of Kansas title fees and proceeds from the sale of retired KHP vehicles. Since the fund's inception, the Kansas Highway Patrol has provided agencies with high-quality, low-mileage patrol vehicles at a fraction of the cost of a new vehicle. Maintenance logs and a detailed service and inspection report are provided with each car, and maintenance and service schedules follow the manufacturer's warranty guidelines. All vehicles come fully serviced and professionally detailed. Light bars and push bumpers are available. All Ford Crown Victorias are well-equipped Model 71 Police Interceptors with less than 50,000 miles. Issuing each officer his or her own vehicle is an excellent way to maximize the life of patrol vehicles. Let our staff show you how easily your agency can purchase high quality, low-mileage patrol vehicles."

They buy cars use them for a bit, then resell them, so they can provide cheap cars to underfunded agencies. The average price for a CVPI used with under 50k miles on it is about 12k with a slimlighter on the dash and a Tam85 tir6 arrow stick on the rear. We bought one about a year ago and its a great car, and was practically new when we got it!

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
ISU_Cyclone said:
PS-Can we no longer embed videos since the "quick reply" option is gone?

Still works, next to the 'quote' tab, 'insert video.'

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I was at the chevy dealer getting my oil changed today, and i was looking at a used impala they had on the lot, the sales guy came out and talked, then i talked to him about the new PPV and he said they are already out and they are putting bids in for the city. He also told me they will have a demonstration car coming through town the next few weeks for LEO's, FF's, government officials, etc... to check out! So he took my number and he told me he'd give me a call when it comes in. So i'll try and grab as many pics as possible of it and test drive it!

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Fast LT1 said:
I was at the chevy dealer getting my oil changed today, and i was looking at a used impala they had on the lot, the sales guy came out and talked, then i talked to him about the new PPV and he said they are already out and they are putting bids in for the city. He also told me they will have a demonstration car coming through town the next few weeks for LEO's, FF's, government officials, etc... to check out! So he took my number and he told me he'd give me a call when it comes in. So i'll try and grab as many pics as possible of it and test drive it!

Its been listed for a few months on Ohio's contract $25,288

cory y

May 21, 2010
Its not currently... but the floor shifter is at the very top left corner of the console and only takes up a space thats 7inches long by 3inches wide... and theres a empty space to the right of the shifter thats 7inches wide.. which is plenty big enough for anything

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
MPD 818 said:
why why why why why does it have a floor shifter? please tell me that a column shift is an option!

B/c GM doesnt think. Police cars/vehicles should have a column shifter as it takes up a prime piece of real estate.

Now, bring on the members who will justify the console shifters existance and tell everyone to get used to it...lol

cory y

May 21, 2010
FireEMSPolice said:
B/c GM doesnt think. Police cars/vehicles should have a column shifter as it takes up a prime piece of real estate.

Now, bring on the members who will justify the console shifters existance and tell everyone to get used to it...lol

well you should... its a VERY minor thing.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
cory y said:
well you should... its a VERY minor thing.

Yea if your department gets caprices and you get use to floor shifter, you'll be bitching and whining when you go back to a ford! So deal with it and take it!

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Fast LT1 said:
Yea if your department gets caprices and you get use to floor shifter, you'll be bitching and whining when you go back to a ford! So deal with it and take it!

Besides you don't really shift gears on an automatic, do you? ;o)

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
My gripe isnt about where I am shifting the vehicle at. I dont care if it is on the floor or on the column. My gripe is because we have so much crap in our cars now that there is very little room as it is, much less with a floor shifter taking up some of that space.

cory y

May 21, 2010
I can see your bitch but here's what you are failing to see.

How many pieces of your equipment in the console is wider that 7 inches? I'm gonna guess not everything. And that's a good safe guess.

So the first seven inches of the console is simply bumped over three inches.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
cory y said:
I can see your bitch but here's what you are failing to see.

How many pieces of your equipment in the console is wider that 7 inches? I'm gonna guess not everything. And that's a good safe guess.

So the first seven inches of the console is simply bumped over three inches.

Thats not the point. Here is what you are failing to see. The law enforcement and public safety community who buy these cars prefer column shifters. The console area is prime real estate for gear, as you know, and they dont want something like that there.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
FireEMSPolice said:
Thats not the point. Here is what you are failing to see. The law enforcement and public safety community who buy these cars prefer column shifters. The console area is prime real estate for gear, as you know, and they dont want something like that there.

Yea we got it, now move on people!

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
FireEMSPolice said:

Ok, so cory y essentially says "even though it is a console shifter, console space for equipment is not compromised."

Then you try and rebut with "the console area is prime real estate for gear."

So it is prime real estate that they aren't losing. That is what you are failing to see.

cory y

May 21, 2010
ISU_Cyclone said:
Ok, so cory y essentially says "even though it is a console shifter, console space for equipment is not compromised."

Then you try and rebut with "the console area is prime real estate for gear."

So it is prime real estate that they aren't losing. That is what you are failing to see.

dont worry guys... hes just being hardheaded and refusing to see what is plain as day for everybody else.

Communications-Compatible Floor Shift

Some patrol officers and fleet managers were concerned that the Caprice PPV would only be available with a floor shifter. Chevrolet engineers made numerous design changes to the original retail center console, including moving the parking brake, door locks, power window switches, transmission “sport mode” switches and StabiliTrak (traction control) switches. They also made changes from a dual-gate shift pattern to a straight shift pattern. Finally, they relocated the entire shifter assembly far left of centerline and lower on the console.

As a result, center consoles which fit other police sedans will now fit the Caprice PPV. The shift level is out of the way of the HVAC controls and allows the use of standard laptop or display mounts. Also, it does not interfere with right-knee room. The center console has about a 7-inch wide, 10-inch long open space right of the shifter and a 10-inch wide, 20-inch long open space behind the shifter.

Chevrolet did the impossible: designed a floor shift that is fully compatible with all the normal upfit gear. And, the shifter is in an extremely ergonomic position. The hand falls to the left-biased shifter more naturally than it would a standard centerline shifter. The 9C3 (detective) version will use the traditional dual-gate floor shifter.

heres the original console look at the shifter:

awww.caranddriver.com_var_ezflow_site_storage_images_news_car_3435ef236a51fa5a7f89cb3187ae492d.jpg

heres the production console

[Broken External Image]:http://www.hendonpub.com/images/articles/208092_6.jpg

want more? look at the police brochure page 5

Download the file

Last edited by a moderator:

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Man, I really want to drive one! I loved my Impala and am glad my new dept has them too (though since we are a campus PD, we don't do a lot of driving). I imagine it would be like the power of a Vic with the comfort, handling, and peppiness of an Impala.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Couple of gripes from me, that blanking panel on the front fender would annoy me, although would be a great place for some side warning. I'm also suprised the LED taillights have been ditched.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
ISU_Cyclone said:
I found threads on the Taurus Interceptor and new Dodge Charger, but not the Caprice. So here it is. Post new pics and info as it becomes available. Also discuss news and features.

Personally, I want to try and get a 9C3 as a POV...but that may be wishful thinking.

Here is a new pic I found, presumably from testing in Michigan.

ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu64_BoondockSaint3100_Random_Capriceppv.jpg

It looks very European.

(sigh!) what happened to the American police car !

ELE761.jpg

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
Hoping to get my hands on one so I can do this:

ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu64_BoondockSaint3100_capricess.jpg

What I'm hearing is first round of 9C3 orders from October are arriving in April, 9C1 arrives in June. Anyone able to confirm?

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
This new Caprice is 203 inches long and 74.8 inches wide with a 118-inch wheelbase. The Ford Mondeo pictured above is 190.7 by 74.3 inches with a 112 inch wheelbase, a few inches longer than previous models. Might seem similar but there's really no comparison; the 90s-era Caprice was 214x77 inches with a 115-inch wheelbase.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
ISU_Cyclone said:

I saw a 2001 Honda civic with fender portholes, acura badges and gt badges. Made me think of you!

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
ISU_Cyclone said:

What I'm hearing is first round of 9C3 orders from October are arriving in April, 9C1 arrives in June. Anyone able to confirm?

HILO said:
I saw a 2001 Honda civic with fender portholes, acura badges and gt badges. Made me think of you!

FireEMSPolice said:
You cant be serious.

Ah, guys, apart from the Impala badge that thing is stock. They really do sell Caprice SS in Dubai.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.