2011 Dodge Charger Taillight flasher

nroutellc

Jul 19, 2010
Southwest, Missouri
I see this all over you tube, but no one seems to want to share how they have it wired up! Anyone want to share?? I am told it is with a Sound Off tail light flasher and a relay................ Any help would be great!!

EMS_Installer

Feb 4, 2011
Portland, OR
nroutellc said:
I see this all over you tube, but no one seems to want to share how they have it wired up! Anyone want to share?? I am told it is with a Sound Off tail light flasher and a relay................ Any help would be great!!

Are you talking about a taillight flasher which alternates the brake and reverse lights or a taillight flasher that alternates the brake and park lights?

If you are seeking a traditional-type taillight flasher (brake and reverse lights) contact EV Modules. They make a unit for the police package that activates the OEM headlight flasher and taillight flasher. Not to mention a bunch of other useful features.

cory y

May 21, 2010
thats just a standard Brake/Backuplight flasher just modified..

HOWEVER Per Chrysler, dont do that! you will Throw codes, and cause premature LED failure

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Do you have a police pursuit model of the Charger? They have a built-in taillight flasher. Currently on the 2011's they alternate the brake with the reverse lights, but they are going to be issuing a software flash for that because flashing white to the rear violates SAE. They're going to be changing it to just flash the 2 main brake lights. No date for that flash yet, probably a few months.

If you don't have the Pursuit model (the "Enforcer"), then you're outta luck, unless someone knows a way to do it that I'm not aware of. It'd be easier to put a couple Vertex's or something in the rear light housings.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
leftcoastmark said:
Do you have a police pursuit model of the Charger? They have a built-in taillight flasher. Currently on the 2011's they alternate the brake with the reverse lights, but they are going to be issuing a software flash for that because flashing white to the rear violates SAE. They're going to be changing it to just flash the 2 main brake lights. No date for that flash yet, probably a few months.

If you don't have the Pursuit model (the "Enforcer"), then you're outta luck, unless someone knows a way to do it that I'm not aware of. It'd be easier to put a couple Vertex's or something in the rear light housings.

WTF? Where to start.

1st, what is the "Enforcer"? is that anything like a Chevy Defender? Made up and stuck on by a dealer? It is called a Charger Pursuit.

https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/fleetcda/portal?pageid=dbbe365479fe6110VgnVCM100000e9261c35RCRD&sectionid=fb66cce1be7f5110VgnVCM10000091f4e735RCRD&ptitle=Charger Pursuit

2nd, The first run TLF flasher is a program that only flashes the reverse lights in a wig wag pattern. The program was supposed to wig wag the brake lights like the last generation. The problem is that when activated, the brake lights do not come on at all. It has nothing to do with SAE. The re flash will hit the dealers in the next week. We actually have an installer here on this board that is upfitting an official Chrysler owned Charger Pursuit S.A.P. for (guess....) a Chrysler demo vehicle.

Sorry to be a big throbbing penis, but honestly, it is being discussed in detail here....

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/updated-attention-all-2011-charger-pursuit-users-upfitters-18613/

And feel free to look here...

http://elightbars.org/forums/f34/2011-charger-pursuit-street-apperance-package-chrysler-demo-fleet-18847/

[Broken External Image]:http://www.websmileys.com/sm/animal/7.gif

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Holy crap. Nice nastygram.

Check this out; Chrysler Canada Inc. Fleet Operations - Vehicles : 2011 Dodge Charger Police , and this; 2011 Dodge Charger Enforcer - Top Speed , and this 2011 Dodge Charger Enforcer, New Canadian Police Cruiser - autoevolution , and... and...

I guess they're naming it differently in Canada. Probably because nobody pusues any more in Canada.

When I called Dodge (2-3 months ago) and asked about the taillight flasher, the tech on the other end of the phone said that they were going to change it because it didn't meet SAE, and it opened up liability for them. Hence my comment. And, white light to rear does NOT meet SAE, so he's right. That's why we called Dodge and didn't hook up the trigger wire. I wasn't aware about the regular brake lights not working thingie. I've been away for 3 weeks so didn't see the post you linked to below. I probably wouldn't have opened it anyway since it didn't have a very specific title.

Also, I just got off the phone with one of the techies from Chrysler. He said that they pulled the software fix back a couple weeks ago because it would not recognize some of the controllers out there. The new software fix will be available after Aug 19th.

HILO said:
WTF? Where to start.

1st, what is the "Enforcer"? is that anything like a Chevy Defender? Made up and stuck on by a dealer? It is called a Charger Pursuit.

https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/fleetcda/portal?pageid=dbbe365479fe6110VgnVCM100000e9261c35RCRD&sectionid=fb66cce1be7f5110VgnVCM10000091f4e735RCRD&ptitle=Charger Pursuit

2nd, The first run TLF flasher is a program that only flashes the reverse lights in a wig wag pattern. The program was supposed to wig wag the brake lights like the last generation. The problem is that when activated, the brake lights do not come on at all. It has nothing to do with SAE. The re flash will hit the dealers in the next week. We actually have an installer here on this board that is upfitting an official Chrysler owned Charger Pursuit S.A.P. for (guess....) a Chrysler demo vehicle.

Sorry to be a big throbbing penis, but honestly, it is being discussed in detail here....

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/updated-attention-all-2011-charger-pursuit-users-upfitters-18613/

And feel free to look here...

http://elightbars.org/forums/f34/2011-charger-pursuit-street-apperance-package-chrysler-demo-fleet-18847/

[Broken External Image]:http://www.websmileys.com/sm/animal/7.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

cory y

May 21, 2010
BUFFaLOT said:
Here's another good video of it:

That right there is STUPID AND UNSAFE

youre flashing the running lights, of which its not designed to flash and if you look carefully its backfeeding into the side marker lights also.

that car is going to have NOTHING but computer faults. sure it looks cool but its pointless

at night when you turn the lights on, the running light function isnt going to flash at all. and the increased load on the Canbus system is going to freak the computer out.

DO NOT DO THIS!

cory y

May 21, 2010
Keith K. said:
Why not just wig-wag the brake lights like they do on the older charger?

thats what the new computer programming is suppost to be fixing whenever they get the bugs worked out.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
leftcoastmark said:
Holy crap. Nice nastygram.

Thank you!

That being said, whatever you moose kissers do in Canada is not my concern!

To make up for hurting your canadian feelings, I'd like to treat you to a flipper pie and fiddlehead fern dinner with some beaver tail for desert. Where can I get a gift card at?

:razz:

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
HILO said:
Thank you!

That being said, whatever you moose kissers do in Canada is not my concern!

To make up for hurting your canadian feelings, I'd like to treat you to a flipper pie and fiddlehead fern dinner with some beaver tail for desert. Where can I get a gift card at?

:razz:

Hey admins - when did you start letting 8 year olds in the forum?

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
Don't worry about HILO, he's a pussy, look at his avatar, lololol.

Just kidding HILO.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
SafetyLighting said:
Don't worry about HILO, he's a pussy, look at his avatar, lololol.

Just kidding HILO.

No worries, they say you are what you eat...

As for that left coast mark thing, that was an A-B conversation, why dont you C your way out of it yes? The guy explained whats up, that it is called somethig else up there. The fact that Canadians call their dishes those things is funny. Anything else den mother?

This is not something I did but a LARGE agency did with the help of a factory tech (upfit trainer). He used a relay to isolate the middle lights when the system is activated. The brake lights work as normal and are untouched.

My thoughts: I am not certain how the LED life would be cut way down, I am not a EE but it doesnt seem to be an issue based on life span and cycle rates. Otherwise I hear "unsafe" a bunch on threads about this, I am unsure how this would be unsafe since the brake lights do still work. Further more when is running hot to a call or being parked roadside on an interstate ever safe. Its not an arguement just a thought.

What are your thoughts?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Kenton. thats not bad! Simple, not a circus ride worth of lights, I like that the best! The only reason I like the brake lights flashing is because it defines the outer edges of the vehicle. The application you have would make for a perfect clean roof or straight out unmarked car.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
For everyone's info, the software flash for the taillight flasher on the 2011 Chargers was released to dealers today. TSB is #08-1611 REV. B.

At least, here in Canada, anyway. Not sure about the US and Texas ;)

sirinstalalot

Sep 29, 2011
USA, ND
Just sent a charger over to be flashed, does nothing for the brake light issue. basically i can see only one scenario where

this fault may be dangerous. Most people pull over when they hear sirens and see flashy flash red n blues, if there was

another vehicle in pursuit it may not be able to tell when the charger is stopping.

To remedy this I will disconnect the police pkg tlf, and hook up a F/S etfbss. the connections will be diode isolated and

applying the brakes should overide the TLF. Like its supposed to.

sirinstalalot

Sep 29, 2011
USA, ND
Let me start off by saying this; NEVER take anybodies word for it, ALWAYS check for yourself.

So I got the charger back and he was right, the lights still weren't working like they were supposed to.

I realized right away that the brake lights were flashing instead of the reverse lights. also the brake lights were freaking out

MAN. we had installed a federal ftl minus the reverse lights.( they were already flashing). So I pulled out the aftermarket

flasher, and Viola! I kinda felt like an idiot but... it is the first '11 charger we've had.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsngrimm

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.