2016 Ram 1500 finished **VIDEO** 3/17/16

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
So I'm picking up my new 2016 Ram 1500 Sport Saturday. Here is what I have planned -

Front - Apollo ILB, (4) T-6s in the grille in an X pattern and 2 Cannons in the fog lights going back and forth in a wig-wag pattern.

Sides - 2 T-6s under the doors in a wig wag pattern.

Rear - Cobra 800 in top rear window, 2 T-6s on license plate bracket and either LAWs in the reverse bulbs or a flasher on the stock LED tail lamps.

I was planning on using either a Feniex 4200 mini or the Whelen PCC8R for control...but I think I'm just going to use a single toggle switch instead.

Any advice, tips, tricks or anything you'd like to mention before I start this?? It's going to be a process build that I'm going to take my time with.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
So I'm picking up my new 2016 Ram 1500 Sport Saturday. Here is what I have planned -

Front - Apollo ILB, (4) T-6s in the grille in an X pattern and 2 Cannons in the fog lights going back and forth in a wig-wag pattern.

Sides - 2 T-6s under the doors in a wig wag pattern.

Rear - Cobra 800 in top rear window, 2 T-6s on license plate bracket and either LAWs in the reverse bulbs or a flasher on the stock LED tail lamps.

I was planning on using either a Feniex 4200 mini or the Whelen PCC8R for control...but I think I'm just going to use a single toggle switch instead.

Any advice, tips, tricks or anything you'd like to mention before I start this?? It's going to be a process build that I'm going to take my time with.

Would you be 100% opposed to having the grill lights mounted in front of the grill? I understand the desire to maintain a covert install, but that grill isn't great for mounting lights behind it. I would recommend going with a pair of the 7x3 widelux in front of the grill, but if you are firm on mounting behind the grill, then I would use 2 Doublestacked T6s in the upper grill flashing together (instead of the X-pattern). I prefer when grill lights flash together b/c they're less drowned out by the headlights at night IMO. I also like flashing running board lights together for a larger footprint, and I would recommend using apollos on the rear LP instead of T6s (apollos have linear optics and they have dual color with flood mode)

Why do a fog light LAW wigwag instead of a HLF? (i.e. Are you unsure of compatibility?)
I like the TLF for dodges where the brake lights flash in a wigwag pattern; I think it's very effective.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Would you be 100% opposed to having the grill lights mounted in front of the grill? I understand the desire to maintain a covert install, but that grill isn't great for mounting lights behind it. I would recommend going with a pair of the 7x3 widelux in front of the grill, but if you are firm on mounting behind the grill, then I would use 2 Doublestacked T6s in the upper grill flashing together (instead of the X-pattern). I prefer when grill lights flash together b/c they're less drowned out by the headlights at night IMO. I also like flashing running board lights together for a larger footprint, and I would recommend using apollos on the rear LP instead of T6s (apollos have linear optics and they have dual color with flood mode)

Why do a fog light LAW wigwag instead of a HLF? (i.e. Are you unsure of compatibility?)
I like the TLF for dodges where the brake lights flash in a wigwag pattern; I think it's very effective.

I do like the idea of either doing 2 sets of double stacked T-6s or going with the Wide-Lux in the grille. As for the LAW flasher as opposed to the HLF, yes...I'm just not sure of capabilities. These new Ram trucks are so finicky with the computers that the flasher could damage something. I wouldn't mind swapping to apollos for the LP mount, but I'm trying to just do the install with what I have currently. I do have some items for sale, maybe someone will chime in and I can sell or trade some of those for some Apollos.

Thank you for you advice. I'll keep this updated as I go.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Does the truck have the active grill shutters? You may not be able to mount lights behind the grill.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I do like the idea of either doing 2 sets of double stacked T-6s or going with the Wide-Lux in the grille. As for the LAW flasher as opposed to the HLF, yes...I'm just not sure of capabilities. These new Ram trucks are so finicky with the computers that the flasher could damage something. I wouldn't mind swapping to apollos for the LP mount, but I'm trying to just do the install with what I have currently. I do have some items for sale, maybe someone will chime in and I can sell or trade some of those for some Apollos.

Thank you for you advice. I'll keep this updated as I go.
Gotcha. I'm sure they're gonna have a HLF for the SSV, & I'd venture to say that you can get it to work, but I'm not familiar with the brand new Rams and if the computer in the civi model will give you some grief. If u do go with cannons up front, I would flash both together (instead of wigwag).

If you're going with what you got, than the T6s on the rear LP are fine, but maybe u can use them on a 10-75 bracket instead and get apollos for the rear LP.

I would def recommend the mini 4200 since it's obviously going to work seamlessly with all the equipment you listed. I understand the desire for simplicity but I think you'll need more than 1 rocker switch here: minimum of 3 (front/side warning, rear only warning, TDs), but it'd be nice to have more, such as controls for the cobra

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
I actually ordered an Apollo ILB. I'm also strongly considering Intersectors under to mirrors instead of two Feniex lights down below the doors (I'd rather have a light higher and more toward the front). Also, what else could you recommend as far as control options? I'd really like to have something with a 3 position slider switch, which obviously the 4200 mini does not have.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I take it you aren't needing a siren? The 4200 mini doesn't have a slide switch but with six outputs, you could set it up with a front, rear, flashing white, takedown/flood, and a left and right arrow control for the Cobra.

What would be really trick is to flash all the perimeter lights with a Whelen ULF44, then have them set to a slow single flash while stationary then have the flashing white button switch them to a faster flash pattern for responding.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
I take it you aren't needing a siren? The 4200 mini doesn't have a slide switch but with six outputs, you could set it up with a front, rear, flashing white, takedown/flood, and a left and right arrow control for the Cobra.

What would be really trick is to flash all the perimeter lights with a Whelen ULF44, then have them set to a slow single flash while stationary then have the flashing white button switch them to a faster flash pattern for responding.
Correct, no siren. The only part I don't like about the mini 4200 is it doesn't have the main distribution like the regular 4200 does. I'd have to run everything individually to each trigger wire coming out of the back of the mini 4200 which I don't like.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I actually ordered an Apollo ILB. I'm also strongly considering Intersectors under to mirrors instead of two Feniex lights down below the doors (I'd rather have a light higher and more toward the front). Also, what else could you recommend as far as control options? I'd really like to have something with a 3 position slider switch, which obviously the 4200 mini does not have.

You should've gone with STL lightbar... so much better quality and craftsmanship than the overrated Feniex ILB! jk lol

For the price, u really can't get a better control pad than the 4200 mini; its rugged, versatile, & has neat programming features. I do like the pursuit switches as well, but virtually every other option is either a big switchbox or a sleek control pad $400+ more than the 4200 mini b/c they include siren & other features. If u had the need for a siren or had $500 more to spend, then I would have recommended the FedSig ss200.
Keep it simple: get the 4200 mini, don't worry about different flash pattern speeds for different response modes, & call it a day.

I much prefer the idea of intersectors over running board lights!!! I like running board lights, but I never suggest them in a spec unless i already have higher priority side areas (front and rear fender, mirror) already covered b/c I don't consider the running board lights anything more than supplemental "nice to have" lighting. The intersectors will give you great side, intersection, & even some rear warning.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
You should've gone with STL lightbar... so much better quality and craftsmanship than the overrated Feniex ILB! jk lol

For the price, u really can't get a better control pad than the 4200 mini; its rugged, versatile, & has neat programming features. I do like the pursuit switches as well, but virtually every other option is either a big switchbox or a sleek control pad $400+ more than the 4200 mini b/c they include siren & other features. If u had the need for a siren or had $500 more to spend, then I would have recommended the FedSig ss200.
Keep it simple: get the 4200 mini, don't worry about different flash pattern speeds for different response modes, & call it a day.

I much prefer the idea of intersectors over running board lights!!! I like running board lights, but I never suggest them in a spec unless i already have higher priority side areas (front and rear fender, mirror) already covered b/c I don't consider the running board lights anything more than supplemental "nice to have" lighting. The intersectors will give you great side, intersection, & even some rear warning.
Well I guess the 4200 it is. I just need to find a good deal on some Intersectors.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Got the cobra 800 and rear license plate lights mounted - still trying to find a TLF that will work with my LED tails and has the brake and turn signal override function. Decided to mount a Feniex Apollo F-12 in a Red/White under the side mirror instead of the intersectors. Will update as I go.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I know it's not an actual TLF but you could use Whelen HALO in place of your OEM bulbs. The systems are slightly hard to come by but they are out there.
I did it in my 14 RAM and it works and looks awesome. You have to abandon your OEM wires and put resistors on it. Then grab your signal and park light inputs from the trailer harness so you don't get flickering of the HALO bulbs.

Reactions: Mrlunchbox
May 9, 2012
Central Florida
pictures or video?
I just received my ILB. I'll be putting that in today then I'll make a video. Just want to make a video of the finished product.

But here is an update of equipment for a teaser -

Front - Feniex Apollo ILB , 4 T6s behind the grille and a Cannon 120 in each fog housing.

Side - 2 Feniex Apollo F12s beneath the doors.

Rear - Cobra 800 in rear window, T6s on a license plate mount and Cannon 360 in each reverse housing.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Finished product - I may change some of the rear warning patterns at a later date. The ILB was a major PIA today while installing - if I had an extra pair of hands it wouldn't of been bad, but doing it by myself sucked. Anyhow, let me know what yall think.

The grille lights I had to get creative with - I have the active grille shutters on this truck so there were literally no options to mount the grille lights behind there except the way I figured out.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
That rear window bar needs a steadier pattern, especially since it's to the rear. It's pretty much just a steady burn looking glow. Other than that, it looks good.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Looks great. Only changes I would make are to the rear patterns. I'd put the cannons and the T6s on a slow x-pattern and the cobra on a slow half and half pattern.

Reactions: Krsdog25
May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Looks great. Only changes I would make are to the rear patterns. I'd put the cannons and the T6s on a slow x-pattern and the cobra on a slow half and half pattern.
That's exactly what I did yesterday lol. The two cannons and license plate T6s are on the X pattern that is slow, then speeds up for a second, then goes back to slow etc. The cobra 800, I bought from Nic (FEVER) that was an already built unit. The two innermost modules were white and they were takedowns. I swapped them over to red modules, but I can't change their flash pattern. So the 3 outermost modules on each side of the bar are now on the slow wig wag pattern, but the 2 innermost modules are still flashing back and forth fast.

Reactions: acala91

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Looks good.
When you have a chance, can you take a pic of how your cannons are drilled and placement for the dogs and reverse?
Thank you

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Looks good.
When you have a chance, can you take a pic of how your cannons are drilled and placement for the dogs and reverse?
Thank you

The cannons are the 360 version. I had to drill a hole big enough to let the cannon sit flush against the inner wall of the tail lamp. The reverse housing is double walled - so I just used a 2" hole saw to make the 2" hole on the outer wall, then a 1" hole saw to make the hole that the cannon actually sat it.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Oh that's great info thank you.
Can you snap a pic of where they are in their respective housings. The out out looks really good. I have a '14 with the same housings and fogs. Just trying to get a spot of where they are.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Oh that's great info thank you.
Can you snap a pic of where they are in their respective housings. The out out looks really good. I have a '14 with the same housings and fogs. Just trying to get a spot of where they are.
Ya, I'll try and get a pic - I mounted it right next to the reverse bulb. So the cannon goes the same direction as the reverse bulb (up) if that makes sense.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Looks good.
Thank you
I just saw the part about the fog light placement. There was really only one spot to mount them to where they would sit flush and that was on the inner section of the light. So when mounted, the light is actually pointed to the side of the truck. PM me your number and I can text you some pics.

RickLBZ

Sep 9, 2010
Miami, Fl.
Looks good.
Thank you

Same question here. I had my taillights off yesterday and realized mounting was going to be a little more complicated than I thought. I was considering mounting mine on top of the reverse bulb, where the reflector is cut out and you see the black housing. I was going to use vertexes but going to go with the cannon 360's instead since they go deeper.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Same question here. I had my taillights off yesterday and realized mounting was going to be a little more complicated than I thought. I was considering mounting mine on top of the reverse bulb, where the reflector is cut out and you see the black housing. I was going to use vertexes but going to go with the cannon 360's instead since they go deeper.
I debated on just completely replacing my stock reverse bulbs with the cannons (get the half white half red model)...but I want the full potential of the lighthead flashing when in warning mode and not just half the light flashing at a time.

If you drill a 2" hole through the first layer of the light which will leave you a big enough space to drill the 1" hole in the second layer and will allow the cannon to sit flush again the plastic as it's made to. I placed mine right next to the reverse bulb, closest to the tailgate if that makes sense.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Definitely diggin' the 2nd video patterns....will be much more effective than the first.

Reactions: firemedic10584

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Updated video -

I like it. Some minor things i would like to see are having the cannons not part of the sync & just on a typically LAW/HAW alternating triple flash (I like sync but think LAWs grab more attention when not synced with the rest of the lights).

For the grill lights, I'd prefer to have the left 2 alternating with the right 2 lights b/c I think they produce a larger footprint than X-pattern in a truck grill.

The rear lightstick is okay, but I'm not a fan of the 2 inner inboards doing their own flickering thing. I prefer the entire left alternating with the entire right OR the outter 4 modules alternating with the inner 4 modules (both at slow single flash like a wigwag)

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
I like it. Some minor things i would like to see are having the cannons not part of the sync & just on a typically LAW/HAW alternating triple flash (I like sync but think LAWs grab more attention when not synced with the rest of the lights).

For the grill lights, I'd prefer to have the left 2 alternating with the right 2 lights b/c I think they produce a larger footprint than X-pattern in a truck grill.

The rear lightstick is okay, but I'm not a fan of the 2 inner inboards doing their own flickering thing. I prefer the entire left alternating with the entire right OR the outter 4 modules alternating with the inner 4 modules (both at slow single flash like a wigwag)
I'll agree with ya on the rear lightbar. Other than wiring those two lights up to another lightheads power, I don't know how to get them to stop flashing the way they are. They were originally takedown modules, so I'm assuming they are programmed to only flash certain patterns? I'd much rather have the whole bar flashing back and forth in the wigwag.

The reason I chose the cannons to be on the single flash is because I feel like the light is actually brighter in that flash pattern than when it is doing the double/triple flash. Also, that pattern is also too fast for me. I wish Feniex would reintroduce the slow double flash pattern that was on the early versions of the T6s.

I may experiment with the grille lights and see how your idea would look. I definitely want to get the biggest footprint I can get out of them especially since parts of the light are obscured (although not bad) by the grille.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.