4 Q's, 4 888's and a roto-ray!!!!

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Blaine B. said:
That sounds horrible!

I think having dual speakers and 200 watts of output from a single siren is a much better use of a second speaker, rather than having two sirens running two separate tones on two separate speakers of 100 watts each.

I don't know what the idea is or thinking behind two separate electronic sirens on the same vehicle. If you can't hear one because your stereo is up too loud, you certainly won't hear two. Unless its a mechanical "Q" or a Warbler vibrating siren!

And, like I said, the thought of two vehicles actually being just one from hearing two sirens from one vehicle.

Not that it causes any problems or anything, but it just seems odd.

Then you're probably not going to like me when I'm done with my truck. Just for fun I want to see what 2 electric sirens pushing 200w each plus a model 28 sound like!

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
foxtrot5 said:
Then you're probably not going to like me when I'm done with my truck. Just for fun I want to see what 2 electric sirens pushing 200w each plus a model 28 sound like!

We don't like you now... lol :dielaugh:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
TritonBoulder47 said:
We don't like you now... lol :dielaugh:

You know, you might be nicer to the guy that just paypal'd you a buck twenty five...

Blaine B.

Aug 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
foxtrot5 said:

Seems a bit excessive, but as you say it's just for fun....maybe that means that you wouldn't always be using all of the sirens on your runs.

Just like train horns (on non emergency vehicles.) They are OK to have if the drivers aren't using them all of the time.

Will B

Sep 2, 2010
Iowa
Phillyrube said:
There was/is a fire company in NE Pennsylvania that will sell you any truck they have in the barn. The station is like 14 bays long. Trying to find it now, but it's been a while.

Ah HA!!! I remembered!! Wellsboro Fire Co. Here is a link to an old Fire Chief Magazine article about them. I guess they have no internet that far north in PA, they don't have a website:

Firetown U.S.A.: New and Improved | mag content from Fire Chief

Facebook Page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wellsboro-Fire-Department/201956906494529

Website

Wellsboro Fire, Task Force 1

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
foxtrot5 said:

I like the idea, but if you have the 28 underhood, no one will hear it if you're running two 200-watt sirens, if the speakers are mounted outside.

"Way back when" a longtime friend, long since gone, favored running twin sirens on his ambulances. When I was a kid he had a '59 Pontiac wagon that had a 28 and a 76 doubletone both mounted behind the grille. On this ambulance he had more sound than light power, as the only lighting was a single red jr. beacon on the roof and a pair of red Unity lights cowl-mounted. He exited the ambulance business in 1966 like a lot of funeral homes had done, but in 1970 he was back in with a brand new low-top Suburban.

On this ambulance he had a VisiBar with twin red beacons, two blue Dietz lollipops and a 77GB doubletone siren mounted in the center. And true-to-form, he had a 28 under the hood. Early one Saturday morning he responded to a stabbing close to the east side of town. I worked as a cab driver at the time and was just leaving for work when I heard the call cme over the scanner. My route to work would take me right past the ER, so I watched for the ambulance on my way, and sure enough, here he came! I had yet to see the new Suburban run "hot", so I was in for a treat. That time of morning it looked neat all lit up, but what I noticed when he got within "ear shot" was the way he alternated between the two sirens. He went back and forth between the two: on and off, never allowing either to reach its peak. Had it been me, I would've let loose on the doubletone at intersections, but at 6 AM, who would've noticed?? Now as I said, this was an older gentleman, having been in business since the '30s. When he talked about sirens, and he liked to do so every bit as much as I still do, he always referred to the 28s as "juniors". I never could figure that one out until I ran across a very old 28 that a friend of mine got off Ebay. And there it was, right on the name tag: Federal Junior Longroll Siren! He was right!

The old fellow only kept the Suburban a couple of years before retiring and selling the funeral home. The Suburban ended up for a time with the Lions Club in a small town in New Mexico. When their fire dept decided to establish an EMS they ended up with the Suburban which stayed in service until 1981. The VisiBar went on their chief's car. I got to visit with him once and he really liked the doubletone, moreso than the electronics he'd been running.

zakovermyer

Jan 29, 2013
Illinois
Skip Goulet said:
If I'm not mistaken, there's a thread on the Fire/EMS Media forum that shows an old American-LaFrance pumper that has one siren over the windshield and another mounted right in front.

Are you referring to this Ward La-France? Two smaller Federals on the roof, and two larger ones on the bumper. Great looking rig.

WLF 4 Sirens.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
zakovermyer said:
Are you referring to this Ward La-France? Two smaller Federals on the roof, and two larger ones on the bumper. Great looking rig.

Nope....that's not the one. The one I saw was an older American-LaFrance that had the open cab as in the older truck up above. It had two Sterling SL30s: one over the windshield and one right in front of the truck on a special bracket (since there's no 'hood' on those things).

Can't tell from this picture if the two smaller sirens are 66Gs, which were popular on firetrucks, or the 77GB doubletones. Twin doubletones along with the Qs would be awesome, not to mention ear-splitting. Whoa...after looking a bit closer at that truck, those don't look like Qs, but the big Sireno ED10s. That's even better!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.