4200 and charge guard

derek92384

Dec 3, 2014
Connecticut
I have a 4200 with a pegasus, Apollo and cobra bar wired to contant like the manual says. I would like to prevent a dead battery so I picked up a havis charge guard. The 4200 is fused for 60amp, the havis is rated for 30a. Should I just run my ign sense wires and the 3 contant powers to the havis to "kill" them and reduce my constant draw?
Any other suggestions on how to fix some of the draw?

Last edited:

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
What model of Apollo and Cobra bar do you have?. Are you running anything else such as radios? If you already have the 4200's ignition sense wire hooked up to an ignition then you won't get any less power draw hooking it to the charge guard.

derek92384

Dec 3, 2014
Connecticut
I have an Apollo 600, cobra 60p and pegasus. I also run a Motorola apx mobile. Everything that has ignition sense is wired to it. My issue is that you visibly can see that the pegasus is powered constant due to the flashing green led as well as my 4200. I'm aware I can wire the bars so no constant lower is going but that was the directions from Feniex.
I know the charge guard I can set up so items could stay on longer so.I could shut my tuck off and continue to have power to my lights.
So my real questions are
Should I just attach the bars to ignition power?
Can the 4200 be "killed" completely when the truck is off?
Should I just use a heavy duty solenoid?

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
You can do everything you are asking. Ultimatly it's your decision but it's better to leave it alone IMO. I just took measurements of a 4200, Cobra Interior Lightbar, and a Cobra 800. The 4200 was pullng about half an amp in it's off state, the other 2 were pulling 5 milliamps each which is .005 amps. So combined they are not even using an amp, only 0.6-0.7 amps total. Your radio pulls more power when off then both your lights and the controller. Usually if I see dead batteries from power draw it's because the radio is wired up correctly but programmed wrong so it doesn't go into a low power state like it's suppose to when it has the ignition sense wired.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Just realized I stated the wrong reading for the 4200, it only pulls 0.05 amps not 0.5. So you would be looking at 0.06-0.07 amps max for the lights and controller.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonClampitt

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.