49" Fusion Single Color Power Draw/Fusing

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I'm going to be ordering a 49" Fusion single color for my FD (along with many other Feniex items) for a build on our new-to-us 2015 Interceptor Utility Chief's buggy. As I'm planning my layout, I noticed that the 49" Fusion states it only draws 15 amps. In the Feniex manual, they call for a 40 amp fuse. Is that correct? It seems a bit high for a 15 amp draw. If you normally fuse at 1.5 times the draw, that would be 22.5 amps, correct? I was hoping to use the rear 80 amp power take off to power most of my items needed. But when I add in the fusing for the 49" bar and the Storm Pro 200W (which calls for 30amps), I'm at 70 amps. Then when I add all the other items that need to go in and run off the rear power take off, I'm way way way over on power. What am I missing here? Should I fuse based on stated draw for all the items? Any help would be great. I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but Thanks!

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
I'm not really sure why they recommend a 40A fuse, that's a 16ga wire...

Ahh, checked the specs... I'm not sure if this is possible with the flash patterns on that bar, but if you had all 156 LEDs on the bar set to steady burn... you'd be pulling ~624W (assuming 4W LEDs at full power, but they're likely run a little lower for longevity), which is somewhere around 45A @ 13.8V. That's asking a lot of the 16ga wire, though. If you had the front and sides on steady burn, then you'd be in the ~30A area if the rear is flashing as well. A 40A fuse (fed with a 12 or 10ga wire) is probably a good idea.

Please someone correct my math if I goofed.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I've run a single T6 on steady burn pulling .8 - 1.2 amp per my meter. And I've run a full front Cobra ILB and an 800 (on the random pattern) off a 10 amp fuse in an F250.

I'd guess that T6 figure would double if you ran all 12 LEDS in a single fusion head (if it's even possible) so 1.6 - 2.4 amps per head. Just a thought.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
fusing should always be done by the wire size, not the draw. if its only 16ga wire, you should only be running about 20amps max

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I'm not really sure why they recommend a 40A fuse, that's a 16ga wire...

Ahh, checked the specs... I'm not sure if this is possible with the flash patterns on that bar, but if you had all 156 LEDs on the bar set to steady burn... you'd be pulling ~624W (assuming 4W LEDs at full power, but they're likely run a little lower for longevity), which is somewhere around 45A @ 13.8V. That's asking a lot of the 16ga wire, though. If you had the front and sides on steady burn, then you'd be in the ~30A area if the rear is flashing as well. A 40A fuse (fed with a 12 or 10ga wire) is probably a good idea.

Please someone correct my math if I goofed.
You can't run all on steady with single color, at least I don't think that's in the patterens. You could if you had a dual color with flood override. But, again, Like everyone's pointing out, that's an aweful lot to ask of a 16 awg wire.

I've run a single T6 on steady burn pulling .8 - 1.2 amp per my meter. And I've run a full front Cobra ILB and an 800 (on the random pattern) off a 10 amp fuse in an F250.

I'd guess that T6 figure would double if you ran all 12 LEDS in a single fusion head (if it's even possible) so 1.6 - 2.4 amps per head. Just a thought.

The single fusions are only 6 LEDS per head, just like the T6. Even if they were dual color, you can't run all 12 at once anyways. Feniex says you'd burn up the light heads with all 12 going (at least on steady burn)

fusing should always be done by the wire size, not the draw. if its only 16ga wire, you should only be running about 20amps max

That would be my thought too. Feniex even states it only draws 15 amps on the 49" bar. If you normally fuse at 1.5 times the draw, your at 22.5 amp fuse. 40 amps should be on at minimum a 12 awg, preferably a 10 awg (as I've run them on rotator bars that actually pull that much power)

It makes me wonder how these up fitters are running 200W sirens, full light bars, perimeter lighting, and radios off the rear 80 amp power take off. Even comparable Whelen lightbars call for 40-50 amps fusing. Obviously it shouldn't pull that, but if it did or it spiked, you would probably blow more than just the light bar fuse. You'd probably blow all of them and trip the circuit breaker. Maybe I'm missing something that they know?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.