6th Gen civilian explorer firewall access

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
There should be a very large factory grommet in both sides of the front footwells that you can go though. Unless you have a sunroof in which case the drains are in those factory holes. Pic with blue circle is passenger side w/o sunroof.

On the vehicle I installed with a sunroof I ended up drilling to the right of the drivers side drain, just above the dead pedal. If you pull back the front drivers wheel liner there is a little access hatch you can open to visualize where the drain comes through, You will have to take off the trim panels up in the footwells to visualize the factory grommets.

Attachments

• expl.jpg
    expl.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220612_203948786.jpg
    IMG_20220612_203948786.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 8

nhfirefighter

May 21, 2010
USA-New Hampshire
There should be a very large factory grommet in both sides of the front footwells that you can go though. Unless you have a sunroof in which case the drains are in those factory holes. Pic with blue circle is passenger side w/o sunroof.

On the vehicle I installed with a sunroof I ended up drilling to the right of the drivers side drain, just above the dead pedal. If you pull back the front drivers wheel liner there is a little access hatch you can open to visualize where the drain comes through, You will have to take off the trim panels up in the footwells to visualize the factory grommets.
Thanks for the tips and visual aids. This a good place to start and I will investigate. The vehicle does have a sun roof, so it sounds like I will need to contend with drains.

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
In the second photo then you can see the drain and then my hole just to the right of it, If you take apart the drivers front wheel liner you can visualize where the drain comes through as you drill. There is actually a small void space where the drain and my hole comes through and you can bring the wiring up to the top of the engine compartment and over to the battery under the cowl.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.