74 Olds Ambulance

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Squad-6 said:
Kind alike back up until 2000 you could still find Pro-Car ambos without too much effort & not pay an arm and a leg. Now If you find one for sale its guaranteed to be a rotten basket case but you still better be ready to pay a fair chunk of change for it.

OH, I know what you mean there. Right now there's a super-nice lowtop Cadillac ambulance in California for sale on Ebay. It's an M-M and has the full-vue lights on all four corners and a Model 78 doubletone siren on the roof. The bids are already past $9K and the reserve hasn't been yet. Yipes!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Squad-6 said:
A landau style Olds with Ful-Vu lights, now I have seen it all

This '75 Olds was built after Cotner/Bevington had sold to Divco-Wayne. It's the same thing as a Criterion, but on an Olds platform. It's shown up at a number of PCS meets here and there, just not at one I've been to.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
Skip Goulet said:
OH, I know what you mean there. Right now there's a super-nice lowtop Cadillac ambulance in California for sale on Ebay. It's an M-M and has the full-vue lights on all four corners and a Model 78 doubletone siren on the roof. The bids are already past $9K and the reserve hasn't been yet. Yipes!

PCS post got me excited saying it was a "48 and I was getting ready to sell everything I own to buy it lol. Bunch of teases

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Squad-6 said:
PCS post got me excited saying it was a "48 and I was getting ready to sell everything I own to buy it lol. Bunch of teases

I would have problems paying that much for a hightop. Dan wants around $12K last I heard on the '74 Olds. I'd love to be able to buy it back, but that's way too much, although I realize he spent a chunk on the restoration. I had had some work done on it with the manifolds before I put it up for sale; but Dan discovered when it got to MI that whoever did the work put the manifold back on wrong. Explained why it was still noisy at the time.

A friend of mine who has been in PCS for many years had an M-M lowtop similar to this one complete with the doubletone siren, but with twin beacons on top instead of the full-vues. He sold it before me moved from CO to TN, but I have no idea what he got for it.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
jph2 said:
I've seen this car in person at the Ferndale Emergency Vehicle Show the Friday of last year's Dream Cruise weekend. I'll have to check my external drive for the pic to post. I'm not fond of the color, but it's a great looking restore. :)

View attachment 57578

I didn't know this. I believe Suburban's parent, Paramed, may have done a stint doing business as AMR. All the Suburban rigs seemed to disappear from the street, with AMR running around. Then, one day, I noticed I didn't see AMR any more. Star does not seem to run SE Oakland County like Suburban or AMR used to. I see Star more northerly; even then, I don't see them in the quantities I used to see Suburban. Alliance Mobile Medical, out of Troy, seems to be the common private provider, with Superior out of Warren being big in non-emergency transport in the area.

I almost missed this when I first viewed this thread. You'll note in this picture that the Olds has a Federal C6B siren between the twin speakers. Dan put the C6 on this car not long after he bought it. He had considered using a B&M Super Chief that he had acquired, but never used it. It now has the roof-mounted Q as shown at the top of the thread.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big JW

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.