Aerodynic Assistance

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I am restoring an Aero 24 EH. I've done quite a few of these, but for some reason this one is being annoyingly difficult. Or maybe I'm just getting older and don't see the obvious like I used to.

Old style gear in the motor cage. Thought I had everything set up pretty well, put power to it..... and the dreaded lock up. I turned off the power immediately but still got a flat spot in the gear. If I can get some parts I'm going to install the clutch gear instead. But I'm not sure what is causing things to bind up.

I did replace the drive belt with the recommended size. But it seems maybe a tad tight. When the belt is off the rotators spin pretty freely. Any Ideas? Maybe the motor doesn't have the power it should anymore.

I also put a wanted ad in parts for the clutch gear and or assembly. Can anybody help me get this old girl going again?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
The best thing to try is separate the parts and see what's binding. Is it possible the gear was stripped and just didn't notice it? The motor shouldnt be the problem. If it's belt driven vs a chain it is not likely an aerowtin. The belt not grabbing the cog properly can cause a jam, same with the sleeve for the belt cog being worn.

Removing the motor and spinning just the first gear or lighthead closest to it might shed some light too, gotta replicate the tensions on the system as close as you can while its running.

I might be mixing this post and your other a bit too on the parts you are looking for.

Reactions: stansdds

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
The best thing to try is separate the parts and see what's binding. Is it possible the gear was stripped and just didn't notice it? The motor shouldnt be the problem. If it's belt driven vs a chain it is not likely an aerowtin. The belt not grabbing the cog properly can cause a jam, same with the sleeve for the belt cog being worn.

Removing the motor and spinning just the first gear or lighthead closest to it might shed some light too, gotta replicate the tensions on the system as close as you can while its running.

I might be mixing this post and your other a bit too on the parts you are looking for.
Definitely not an Aerotwin. The gear was new and had never been used. I'll keep tinkering with it, just don't want to ruin any more gears!

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
The gear was new and had never been used. I'll keep tinkering with it, just don't want to ruin any more gears!
Makes sense. The belt should be in place when freehand testing. Good to test components individually but also as in tact as possible to try and replicate the conditions as closely as possible.It kinda sounds like the belt not lining up perfectly. It should be tighter then the old one because its not stretched at all. Did ya look over the belt for any defects too?

Reactions: stansdds

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Makes sense. The belt should be in place when freehand testing. Good to test components individually but also as in tact as possible to try and replicate the conditions as closely as possible.It kinda sounds like the belt not lining up perfectly. It should be tighter then the old one because its not stretched at all. Did ya look over the belt for any defects too?
Motor.jpeg
This is what I'm looking for. But with the black clutch gear on the far left.

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Ok, I have identified that one of the rotators next to the belt gear is binding. They all should have a bit of a "bobble" and a small gap between the black gear and the nut that sits on top of the mounting tray. This one doesn't. Is there a way to adjust the nut below the gear to give it less tension? I've tried to move the nut and it just spins the socket, even when i have the socket locked down. Or is just worn out?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.