Ambulance lightbar upgrade: XL to Liberty

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
On the 4th of this month, I coordinated with my supervisor at the coal-fired generation plant I work security/EMT at to swap out the Code 3 XL that was on the rig to a Whelen Liberty SC bar I picked up from our state surplus for cheap and customized myself. It was pheasant strike that busted a 500 halogen module, an amber LIN6, and the lens section over the busted lights, plus some feathers stuck inside the bar too :confused:. Other than that, the rest worked like a top!

The reason to replace the XL bar was that its high amp start up was causing an overload in the emergency lighting electrical system, thus making one of the Vanner flashers cut out a terminal to save itself. This killed the front center white and rear amber/red body lights. After showing this issue to the lead auto mechanic on plant site, he agreed the XL needed to be retired.

Luckily, I hoard parts from past project lightbars, so I had a good lens and 500 halogen module handy. I moved all the halogen lights to the front, set up the color scheme as traditional red/blue, and put a red and blue LIN6 in place of the halogen 500 alley lights in the end caps for extra intersection warning. I completely deleted the rear corners and traffic adviser and spray painted some cruddy leftover Liberty lenses flat black and put those in the rear. I grabbed a not-so-cosmetic-but-fully-operational MPC01 control head and made up a short harness to run in the overhead compartment of the ambulance. Wet sanded/polished what needed to be done and this build was a finished success

After getting approval from our lead safety and maintenance people, we set a day to get this done. In about two hours, my super and I accomplished our mission. BTW, he insisted on using the existing forward bolt holes for the mounting feet, so that's why it's cantered slightly up (not what I wanted to settle on, but I wasn't gonna raise the issue at the time, so....:(). All in all, it works out nicely for our needs as an industrial ambulance.

Old...........

New..........

BTW, these videos are the first I've uploaded to YouTube. They turned out good, but only ELB members will get to see 'em ;).

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Looks good! What siren does that rig have?
SVP (Southern Vehicle Products era) SA-430 remote head siren. Here's an example of the remote head.
aimagecdn2.panjo.com_images_detaillarge_UPZyHZfcpq5Q2.JPG

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Wow, what a great upgrade for your companies ambulance. I could almost hear the alternator lugging when the old light bar came on. Personally I would like to see a bit more blue in the front (either just below the bar, or in the grill, maybe exchanging some red lenses on the side too for blue. I guess I am partial to the blue... If your authorized, why not knock yourself out. I understand working for a company/agency with the thought process if it isn't too broke, leave it alone... As for the angle of the bar... maybe a couple rubber washers to raise the back up to make it more level? just an idea.

All around GREAT JOB!!!

Dennis
NVFD 612

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Wow, what a great upgrade for your companies ambulance. I could almost hear the alternator lugging when the old light bar came on. Personally I would like to see a bit more blue in the front (either just below the bar, or in the grill, maybe exchanging some red lenses on the side too for blue. I guess I am partial to the blue... If your authorized, why not knock yourself out. I understand working for a company/agency with the thought process if it isn't too broke, leave it alone... As for the angle of the bar... maybe a couple rubber washers to raise the back up to make it more level? just an idea.

All around GREAT JOB!!!

Dennis
NVFD 612

Thanks for the compliments, Dennis! We cannot raise the back of the Liberty up to an even level now that it has been bolted down and siliconed, so it'll have to stay that way. As for lenses, more blue on the grill would work, but as you mentioned, it works for them so best not meddle with it anymore. The old lightbar just had to go to get some power draw down. Maybe in the next few years the plant will buy a newer rig and this one can head on down the road ;).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.