Anyone have problems with the traction control on 2012 Impala?

poesdad

Feb 19, 2011
Bend Oregon
Has anyone had problems with the traction control kicking on when norm driving, on dry pavement?

We are having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with one of our Impalas. The traction control kicks on when we turn from a dead stop to the left. It falls on its face.

Jake Duda

May 19, 2013
Columbia, SC
poesdad said:
Has anyone had problems with the traction control kicking on when norm driving, on dry pavement?

We are having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with one of our Impalas. The traction control kicks on when we turn from a dead stop to the left. It falls on its face.

Hard to diag from my end, a few things to check would be the upfit. if a wire was brought through the firewall grommet and a wire got nicked, it could cause intermittent issues. I'd try manually shaking harnesses while someone monitors the trac control light. It might have nothing to do with this, but it's a start. Any one else?

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Likely a flaky wheel speed sensor. If one's falsing it will make the PCM think a wheel is spinning, so it will step in. I would get this figured out... it can be hazardous.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
tvsjr said:
Likely a flaky wheel speed sensor. If one's falsing it will make the PCM think a wheel is spinning, so it will step in. I would get this figured out... it can be hazardous.

I agree with this. Similar thing happened with my Explorer and it was the sensor.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
I think it's a bad cable to wheel sensor that shorts or opens while steering. The dealer will likely have a long head scratch finding this if they ever do. Most dealership mechanics are readout readers and parts changers, not mechanics. These cables are easily damaged by poor service techniques or even snow/ice build up can take them for a stretch. Very easily damaged and easily replaced.

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
On my '07, every once in awhile, I'd get a "stabilitrak initializing" message, for no good reason. On my current '12, the dealer gave me a data recorder to plug into the OBD connector to diagnose an intermittent shifting issue. When ever it was connected, every 5 minutes the car would chime and message that the "traction control was on". No issues when their faulty test equipment wasn't plugged in.

As previously stated, if it is an issue when the vehicle is "turning", then it's a wheel sensor probably, as the wheels are obviously spinning at different rpm's in the turn.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.