Attn feniex dealers

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Please stop giving such ridiculous product quotes. I'm not going to mention any names, but you dealers know who you are. I know that there are so many Feniex dealers, especially on ELB, but it's not benefiting you or anyone else by giving products away.

It's extremely aggravating when I get asked to match or beat a price on a Feniex product that would cause me to make a $3 profit (or even go negative in many cases!) By lowering the prices for the products SO LOW that profit is in the single digits, or at a negative profit, all that you are doing is destroying the market and lowering the market value of the ENTIRE Feniex brand and all of their products! There is a reason why Feniex implemented MAP, and I think we should honor that.

I apologize for the rant, but this is getting out of hand and someone had to say it. Please have some respect for the company that has brought you such innovative products thus far, and think twice before you send out price quotes. It will benefit ALL Feniex distributors in the end.

Sincerely,

Tom N.

Advanced Warning Lights

Master Feniex Distributor

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I thought if there was a MAP that you could only go just so far below it before they said something about it?

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I don't have a horse in this race being that I'm not a Feniex dealer... But doesn't MAP stand for Minimum Advertised Price...? If so, I don't see the other dealers doing anything wrong, since they aren't "advertising" the price they are giving... Just my two cents... i know it doesn't mean anything... lol

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
TritonBoulder47 said:
I don't have a horse in this race being that I'm not a Feniex dealer... But doesn't MAP stand for Minimum Advertised Price...? If so, I don't see the other dealers doing anything wrong, since they aren't "advertising" the price they are giving... Just my two cents... i know it doesn't mean anything... lol

I have seen a big dealer advertising on FB way below MAP..

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Like I said, I'm just playing a little "devil's advocate" here... I don't know all the details nor have I researched anything via FB or any other website for that matter... lol

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
TritonBoulder47 said:

The MAP is not necessarily the point, it's the fact that Feniex dealers on this board are giving away new Feniex products below cost. This could be in an effort to boost their sales in their region, but in the end the only thing it does is lower the value of the entire product line. I highly doubt these are the kinds of dealers that Feniex wants to "promote" their brand.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Tom said:
The MAP is not necessarily the point, it's the fact that Feniex dealers on this board are giving away new Feniex products below cost. This could be in an effort to boost their sales in their region, but in the end the only thing it does is lower the value of the entire product line. I highly doubt these are the kinds of dealers that Feniex wants to "promote" their brand.

True... But isn't Feniex going though a big "house cleaning" so-to-speak, in their Dealer Program...? Hopefully this will weed out these types of Dealers...

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
It's unlikely these dealers will get the boot. The sad thing is, if they just realized that if they didn't lower the cost below MAP (or cost), there wouldn't be any issues.

It's one thing to take off $10 or $20 for a good customer, it's another to take off $75-150+ just to make the sale.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
TritonBoulder47 said:
True... But isn't Feniex going though a big "house cleaning" so-to-speak, in their Dealer Program...? Hopefully this will weed out these types of Dealers...

You would think that. Some of these dealers have invested thousands of dollars in the brand...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Tom said:
It's unlikely these dealers will get the boot. The sad thing is, if they just realized that if they didn't lower the cost below MAP (or cost), there wouldn't be any issues.

It's one thing to take off $10 or $20 for a good customer, it's another to take off $75-150+ just to make the sale.

That crazy!!!

MEVS06 said:
You would think that. Some of these dealers have invested thousands of dollars in the brand...

Well there in lies the kicker... if they have that much invested in them, they are probably buying in enough bulk to easily mark a price down some... but $75+ is a ridiculous markdown...

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
This thread is doomed to fail.

1st: Customers shouldn't be privied to such concerns by a dealer. On the flip side, you have no other way to confront those dealers. Tough spot to be in.

2nd: You've now tipped off your competitors and they know it's pissing you off... and working. Most of them will use that to their advantage.

3rd: I think a lot of what takes place here on eLightbars, with ANY brand, is friend-to-friend sales, or motivation by rivals to beat their competitor at any cost. It is a highly concentrated area for all of that to take place, and I think that's why it seems occur so much.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anything said in this thread. Customers are always going to push the envelope to get the cheapest price, so they are going to continue to attempt to have businesses price match.

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
Unfortunately thats the business we are in. Its not only feniex, there is dealers doing the same for all manufacturers star, code 3 , fedsig and whelen. This site has a lot of dealers and a limited customer base.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
As a consumer, I'm going to try to find the best deal I possibly can. On a personal level, I have a few dealers in mind that I "prefer" to deal with but (sorry guys) there's not one of you out there who will get my undivided business every single time.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Jared @ 911Lights said:
Really highlights the need for the dealer section to be restricted to verified dealers.

-Jared

Tom said:
I'd second that.

Well, with the dealer network applications now open, that is something that Marcson can take into account.

On a positive note in this thread, at least those of you that are bidding low are actually delivering product and not stealing customers' money.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Jman423 said:
This thread is doomed to fail.

1st: Customers shouldn't be privied to such concerns by a dealer. On the flip side, you have no other way to confront those dealers. Tough spot to be in.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread because I believe this type of thing has no place in this forum as all it does is show dissatisfaction with dealers and the manufacturer which in my opinion is detrimental to all parties involved. I'm glad you said it too. I've dealt with some dealers via phone calls and learned that what things seemed to be were in fact not true. They have also done the same thing by calling me. Posting a thread such as this is in my opinion; poor taste. I bit my tongue because I've often backed Tom very publicly but Jman's post here I have to agree with.

2nd: You've now tipped off your competitors and they know it's pissing you off... and working. Most of them will use that to their advantage.

3rd: I think a lot of what takes place here on eLightbars, with ANY brand, is friend-to-friend sales, or motivation by rivals to beat their competitor at any cost. It is a highly concentrated area for all of that to take place, and I think that's why it seems occur so much.

I know this is in fact the case with MANY dealers across MANY lines. I don't have my own products to push or compete with. I have several people on this site I consider friends so I have also given the friend discount to several. Additionally, I'm an active first responder as many other dealers are. While sometimes it might just come across as a dealer trying to pad their numbers, what Jimmy says here has a valid point. I have gone above and beyond to help fellow LEO's and even more so for K-9 handlers. I am sure there are dealers that are Firefighters that do the same thing for their profession. I also try to take care of people I have worked with in my state so I understand people helping out those who are close to them. I find it very hard to make a huge profit off someone that I could possibly be relying on to stick a finger in a bullet hole to keep me from bleeding to death one day. Might sound trivial to a non-first responder, but those of use out there know what I am talking about.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anything said in this thread. Customers are always going to push the envelope to get the cheapest price, so they are going to continue to attempt to have businesses price match.

which is why on hard quotes people should be doing formal quote sheets (with expiration dates on the quotes), not just PM's. I've learned that the "this dealer will give it to me for this" isn't always true.

Jamey@NNE said:
Unfortunately thats the business we are in. Its not only feniex, there is dealers doing the same for all manufacturers star, code 3 , fedsig and whelen. This site has a lot of dealers and a limited customer base.

I couldn't agree with you more Jamey. This site is not geared towards the average end user as much as it is geared towards the people who are in the industry. If we are relying on this site to be the source of all of our sales then we are hurting. This site often acts as a whole sale group.

For most dealers Feniex is the value line. While all I have is Feniex and SOS; Feniex is my value line and biggest seller for good reason. Not everyone has their own lines or are willing. I'm sure Jared agrees with me as he is staying in the U.S. for his stuff (and not the LEDO's of the world making silly claims of American manufacturing.)

There are often state/city and other contracts that get factored into pricing often. It is very hard to know the true circumstances behind each and every deal. I use to get upset, however; It is a nature of the business we are in and even more so on ELB.

Ultimately, at the end of the day it comes down to what is good for the first responders out there. At least in my eyes.... that's what it should be about.

Jman423 said:
On a positive note in this thread, at least those of you that are bidding low are actually delivering product and not stealing customers' money.

Negative... Dave's customers had screenshots of low price list that he took money for but failed to deliver on products. I've followed up with them to at least get them taken care of though.

Nov 13, 2012
Brazoria County Texas
I can honestly say I have lost deals because I won't give away products for a tiny profit, too much work for not much moolah. Not that I am greedy mind you. But a fair profit for a fair deal is square business.

I see no need to give away product to boost my numbers with a manufacturer. I also feel it devalues the product itself. But hey, that's just me. LOL

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
360 Safety Gear said:
...Not that I am greedy mind you. But a fair profit for a fair deal is square business...

Business is business. Profits keep a business... a business :crazy:

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
See for me it aint about padding numbers. My family has been in business since 1956 and one thing I was taught was I can sell 1 item with big profit to 1 customer or I can sell 3 items with a little smaller profit and 3 customers and make more in the long run. Im not saying give it away but if I make $20 instead of $30 on an item that can save a life to someone who truely needs it than who got hurt?

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
But aint that basicly what you do with your pricing jared? You sell at what alot of starting dealers pay..... I know you arnt hurting with contract pricing since I have products on contract as well I know how it helps pricing. But you do basicly the same I discribed by passing on the discount that other dealers dont get.

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
But what im saying is your goal is to undercut most dealers which is the same as walmarts goal. So your comparison is the pot calling kettle black.

I understand you get volume discounts. I have some items I get some too. But having an intire product line set where other dealers would have to sell at cost is what they are complaining about.

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
Jared @ 911Lights said:
That's very different than slicing margins to a place where business isn't sustainable.

You must have misunderstood me. I said take a discount for people who need it but not to give it away. You have to make a profit or like this quote business is not sustainable.

MiamiJeff

Oct 17, 2012
Miami, FL
Hey Tom,

I am all for helping out the working man.. and agree with you when you say others that cut their costs to ridiculous prices hurt the industry. If everyone stayed at the steady pricing things would be good all around for everyone.. but now and then ya get people that think cutting prices to crazy numbers to barely make a buck or break even just hurts the industry as a whole.

I have another order of lighting I need placed with you this week.. but would like to pick you brain on one item, and see what you think fits my application best..

If you could call me either over the weekend or Monday that would be great as my new Ford should be here by next Friday..

My # I will PM you with..

Thanks ..

Jeff

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
MiamiJeff said:
Hey Tom,

I am all for helping out the working man.. and agree with you when you say others that cut their costs to ridiculous prices hurt the industry. If everyone stayed at the steady pricing things would be good all around for everyone.. but now and then ya get people that think cutting prices to crazy numbers to barely make a buck or break even just hurts the industry as a whole.

I have another order of lighting I need placed with you this week.. but would like to pick you brain on one item, and see what you think fits my application best..

If you could call me either over the weekend or Monday that would be great as my new Ford should be here by next Friday..

My # I will PM you with..

Thanks ..

Jeff

:undecided: Seems like most of that could have been contained in said PM...

A Little odd... just sayin'

MiamiJeff

Oct 17, 2012
Miami, FL
Jman423 said:
:undecided: Seems like most of that could have been contained in said PM...

A Little odd... just sayin'

It could have ,, But I agree with Tom.. and wanted to back up what he said.

Yes I have a question in regards to my vehicle as well .. and that will be addressed at a later time.

Oh yeah .. By the way Tom.. send me my $4.00 for plugging your post and agreeing with you ... :rolleyes:

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Jamey@NNE said:
See for me it aint about padding numbers. My family has been in business since 1956 and one thing I was taught was I can sell 1 item with big profit to 1 customer or I can sell 3 items with a little smaller profit and 3 customers and make more in the long run. Im not saying give it away but if I make $20 instead of $30 on an item that can save a life to someone who truely needs it than who got hurt?

Jamey, this is exactly what I'm talking about. If Feniex set a MAP for the dealer to make $60, and then you cut the price to make $20, you're hurting everyone. I wish I could say that I'd make $20 on some of the quotes I received, but just yesterday I got asked to match two quotes: one had me negative $5 and the other was for a $3 profit. Those quotes were obtained from ELB dealers, and I know it's true because its been happening a lot lately. I have the largest discount with Feniex since I am a master distributor, but I am still find myself going negative on some of these quotes. Let's not forget the other costs associated with business such as fees, overhead, etc.

It's this kind of mentality that's ruining the market value of the Feniex brand. I wouldn't be complaining about making a $20-$30 profit, it's the single digit and negative profits.

I agree that it may not be best for the customers to be able to view this discussion, but at the same time this is the platform where I can reach the largest amount of Feniex dealers. Like I said, IMO something had to be said.

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
Trust me I dont forget about other costs when the shop rent, insurance, phone bills, vehicle insurance, gas bills, shop power bills all come in lmao.

But like I said its all brands not just feniex and not just this market. Here in orlando whelen sells premium libertys for a price some imports sell for.

Also dont forget about volume discounts like others have said. They might not be losing money.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClintonPSE

Mar 13, 2013
Clinton, IA
When I started with Feniex products, I recall 2 of the dealers posting in this thread being well below MAP (one of them is crying quite loudly too:hopeless:).

As a Tier 1 distributor, I could care less what MAP is as I won't ever be able to sell that low. My company is based on the foundation of service and that's what my customers are GLADLY paying for. I doubt any other Feniex dealer sells at LIST besides me. Some of my customers have mentioned I'm not as cheap as online dealers. My reply is, "That online dealer isn't standing here showing you the features of this product. The online dealer doesn't assist you with installation advice and online dealer may not help you with warranty issues or repair. So, the online dealer better be cheaper as the only thing they offer is the product." If your customer is only concerned with price, then they probably aren't a good loyal customer.

I rarely sell online because you only offer product. NO SERVICE. You are simply an order taker. You don't deserve a high profit because you didn't earn it. It's like a waitress at a nice restaurant versus McDonald's. You get what you pay for....

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
ClintonPSE said:
When I started with Feniex products, I recall 2 of the dealers posting in this thread being well below MAP (one of them is crying quite loudly too:hopeless:).

As a Tier 1 distributor, I could care less what MAP is as I won't ever be able to sell that low. My company is based on the foundation of service and that's what my customers are GLADLY paying for. I doubt any other Feniex dealer sells at LIST besides me. Some of my customers have mentioned I'm not as cheap as online dealers. My reply is, "That online dealer isn't standing here showing you the features of this product. The online dealer doesn't assist you with installation advice and online dealer may not help you with warranty issues or repair. So, the online dealer better be cheaper as the only thing they offer is the product." If your customer is only concerned with price, then they probably aren't a good loyal customer.

I rarely sell online because you only offer product. NO SERVICE. You are simply an order taker. You don't deserve a high profit because you didn't earn it. It's like a waitress at a nice restaurant versus McDonald's. You get what you pay for....

In defense of quite a few dealers that have taken time to help me, or work with me on special requests, I wouldn't lump everyone into that "group".

This is not in any way a stab at you or your business practices... but I don't see how anyone sells at LIST. Look at Whelen, like Jamey said, a fully loaded Liberty can be purchased for $1199 down here due to state contract pricing. That is cheaper than some of the most affordable, quality products that can be purchased for. A Liberty retails for something well over $2k I think. I only point this out because it seems, in MY opinion, that you would make more profit off of your sales at LIST price, but there would be fewer sales because the items can be obtained elsewhere at 30%-40% less. Not too many people can afford to pay LIST for something, especially considering how first responders are paid. If you make sales at those prices for agencies, that's great.

Business :rolleyes:

ClintonPSE

Mar 13, 2013
Clinton, IA
Jared @ 911Lights said:
I think you are greatly exaggerating the differences between online and face-to-face sales. We field post-sales calls on a daily basis, technical questions, install questions, warranty issues.

I miss face-to-face sales, but like it or not the internet has driven down prices, and most (not all) departments are unwilling to pay a premium for someone who makes sales calls. I wish I could have my guys on the road 150 days a year, but there just isn't enough profit to be made to pay for gas and hotels. It is a difficult game to play, we have experimented with charging high prices to customers that we call on, but we alienate them when the see a cheaper price on our website.

I have trouble believing that there are enough customers out there willing to pay list to keep you in business, but what do I know, I've only been doing this for 11 years.

-Jared

What do you know? Because I DO the legwork. And I DO have a profitable, growing business. But what do I know, I've only been doing this for 8 years. Now I'll quit being rude. In all honesty, I don't equally push every product that Feniex offers because some items would be a tough sale and we all know it. But from one dealer to another, seriously, you should be able to build $79 worth of value in a Cobra T6, right?

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
ffemt601 said:
* Note to Self * Don't buy anything from Tom since he tries to price gouge and is a crybaby.

I'm truly sorry if this is what you've gotten out of my comments in this thread. I assure you that I wouldn't be able to build such a solid reputation in this business by gouging my customers. I take pride in being able to offer dependable products at affordable prices while offering great customer service to match.

I'm sure that you can see by the prices listed on the AWL site for my products that the last thing I am trying to do is charge a premium price or take advantage of anyone.

You, the customer, are the most important part of my business, and I always have open ears to what you have to say. If there is anything you think I can do to improve, please by all means feel free to contact me. It is only by the support of my customer base that my company can grow and be successful.

I'm sorry if this has turned into a huge fit, but I just wanted to voice my concerns and judging from the likes on my first post, there are a few people that agree with me. I thought it was something worth saying.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
Look, none of the companies represented in this thread, so far, have a bad reputation in the community. You each have your own tactics and practices, and since you've all been around for more than a month... they seem to be working. It doesn't seem like there is any reason to attack each other, or for anyone to take offense by the comments in this thread.

If you think about it, it's probably not very often that competitors get to rub elbows like this (forum community). There will always be differing opinions and a bit of hostility against each other, but it does allow for everyone's perspectives to be shared. The OP shared his, I can respect that. Some of you agree with his point of view, some don't. Just step back and look at everyone's perspective :twocents:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.