AWL Pulse

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Advanced Warning Lights Pulse Two LED Dash Light

Model Number: Pulse2

List Price: $99.99

Link: AWL Pulse Two Dash Light

I bought this light because AWL stopped carrying the other dash lights. I usually use this brand for my POV installs because they are generally cheap, durable, and bright. Tom told me that he had a new light coming out in the next few days, so I waited and ordered this when they came out. I was just unboxing it and doing some testing before it gets installed in the vehicle it is going in. I thought I would take some pictures and video since this is a new product while I had it out. I will update this thread when I have installation pictures.

Included in the box is:

(1) Pulse Two Dash Light

(1) Flashback shield

(1) Deck Mounting bracket

(4) Suction Cups

(4) Screws for bracket

(1) Instruction Manual

Features taken from the site:

CE, ECE R10, SAE J595 Class 1, & CA T13 Class B

12 Latest Generation Linear LEDs

Water, weather, and vibration resistant

25 Flash Patterns

Window Shroud AND Deck Bracket Included

Reflective silver stickers

On/Off and Flash Pattern Selection on switch

12-24 VDC

1.0 Amps Peak @ 12VDC

Instructions and Mounting Hardware Included

2 Year Warranty

IMG_2137[1].jpg

IMG_2138[1].jpg

IMG_2139[1].jpg

IMG_2141[1].jpg

IMG_2140[1].jpg

IMG_2142[1].jpg

Durability: 10

Well this light is completely encapsulated and weather resistant. I don't know of many other "Dash/Deck" lights that are rated to go outside. I think for that alone it deserves a high rating. It is constructed out of a metal, with a channel design where the lens slides into it. On each end there are threads for the brackets to attach. The whole light itself seems very sturdy and durable, and everything screws together. This is particularly nice because you don't have to worry about a clip breaking. The flash shield is made of a thicker plastic, and does not seem flimsy at all. This is not a flimsy piece of junk.

Performance: 9

I am impressed with the performance of this light. It is very bright, not just for its size, but when compared to other lights as well. It is impressive in direct sunlight where other lights would wash out. The flash patterns included in this light are better than others I have seen. They have all the basics covered, and then a few combination/random patterns that are pretty eye catching. It also has good off axis light spread. It also punches through the tint on my rear window fairly well, it is still bright enough to be used behind it, where I would not want to use others due to the reduced brightness.

Innovation: 8

I mean this is a dash light. I have seen this design before, but they have tweaked it to make it better than other similar lights. The mounts work really well, and adjust nicely. One of the nice features with this light is that the flashback shield is adjustable in its angle, and snaps in place while adjusting it, and then the screws tighten it in. This allows it to be mounted directly to the windshield with double sided tape rather than using the suction cups, and getting the right angle you need for it to work best. The flashback shield also has a piece of foam along the bottom that keeps it flush when the angle of the light is changed, keeping any light retained inside of the shield. I also like the fact that there is a sync wire when you cut off the plug. You do not see many other dashlights out there that have a sync feature without having to buy a specific hardwire version. The manual says you can sync up to 8 of the pulse lights together, which is a nice feature.

Appearance: 8

This is really up to preference. This is a pretty rugged looking light, so some people may not like that as compared to the more plastic molded looks of a light. It is fairly small, even in the dual version, so that is a plus. I think it looks good personally.

Price: 9

For the price of only $99.99 you really are getting a bargain. The output of this light is very competitive, and could give the top of the line name brand lights a run for their money, which is almost double what these are. I rather have two of these than one dual avenger for example, and that would still be cheaper. Another bonus is the additional bracket for deck mounting that is included at no cost.

Shipping: 10

Cant really get better than free shipping with the ELB code. No complaints here. In other regards, the light comes in its own box, with everything wrapped and packaged to prevent scratching.

Overall: 9

This is a really great light available at a great price. I will definitely continue to use these lights for the installs that I do unless the customer requests otherwise. I can't really think of anything to improve the light at the moment.

Here it is behind window tint, and the window opened for easy brightness comparison

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Dear Tom & theroofable,

Thank you for making me go blind. As a result of watching a head-on video of the pulse dash light I will be making an immediate appointment with my optometrist (once I can find my phone). I will be submitting a copy of my bill to both of you for reimbursement.

Thank you,

Pdk9

Out of curiosity, Tom, who makes the LEDs? (ie luxeon rebel, Cree, smaller company, etc?)

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Irsh42 said:
Thanks for the review!

I do have two quick questions though; is it synchable with another AWL Pulse and are the modules removable/interchangeable?

No Problem. Tom said it is syncable with the other pulse units, bursts, and grill lights that he carries. Although I have not tested this, but he is going for a 100% syncable line. :thumbsup:

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Adam, thank you for taking the time to write this review. That was quite unexpected, but very much appreciated.

Just a couple things that are also included in the package are the two silver reflective stickers, and two double-sided tape pieces for another option in mounting. I really tried to provide as many "extras" as I could so that my customers would have everything they needed plus some for their applications.

Irsh42 said:
Thanks for the review!

I do have two quick questions though; is it synchable with another AWL Pulse and are the modules removable/interchangeable?
The AWL Pulse can be synchronized with other Pulse dash lights, the AWL SMT series grille lights, the AWL Burst LED Hide Aways, and the new AWL warning bar series (coming soon).

The modules are not plug-and-play.

pdk9 said:
Dear Tom & theroofable,
Thank you for making me go blind. As a result of watching a head-on video of the pulse dash light I will be making an immediate appointment with my optometrist (once I can find my phone). I will be submitting a copy of my bill to both of you for reimbursement.

Thank you,

Pdk9

Out of curiosity, Tom, who makes the LEDs? (ie luxeon rebel, Cree, smaller company, etc?)
The LEDs are made from a small manufacturer in Taiwan. I'm having really good luck with my current manufacturer. The attention paid to even the smallest details with these lights is exactly what I was looking for. I really set out in search of a quality manufacturer who put out bright, affordable, and dependable products and I found just that.

Thanks for the support guys!

May 27, 2013
NY
Very nice looking light!

This may be my answer to the new Dual Avenger/Talon price and used Dual Avenger/Talon availability issue :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
And I thought I was done buying lights... Thanks Tom. lol

I think I may sell my Mini Phantom and buy myself a Pulse Two.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Tom, any plans of turning this water resistant badboy into a 6 or 8 head lightstick?

Also, what's the ETA on your new lightbar?

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
It was installed in a 2006 Chevy 1500. I did not take any pictures, but the person is very happy with the light. Perhaps I could get a video of it, what would you like to see? The only thing that would be different is the vehicle, the light still looks the same. :D

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
codycat91 said:
Video in direct sunlight, 180 degree pan to see off-axis, different flash patterns, etc
I will try and get another video next time I see the guy who owns it, unless someone else puts one up first. There is a flash pattern video on here already.

codycat91

Feb 17, 2011
NY
theroofable said:
I will try and get another video next time I see the guy who owns it, unless someone else puts one up first. There is a flash pattern video on here already.

I didn't realize it wasn't owned by you personally. It's not a huge deal but videos are always good

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.