Best Fire/EMS Vehicles

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
uploadfromtaptalk1354711101349.jpg

Wow, what's up with this? Does their EO roll the truck a lot?

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
Jazzdad,

Those bars are more common on the east coast on "Brushbreaker" type apparatus. Which from what I have seen, started out with old military deuce and a halfs with a "mad max" type cage completely around it so it could plow through small trees/brush to get to forest fires. They are pretty common in Massachusetts/New Jersey/Long Island. I haven't seen too many outside of there. This one looks pretty wicked, but considerably smaller than the traditional brushbreakers.

Roscommon TWP, it must be nice to have the MI DNR Fire Devolepmenent Center right there, they must see all kinds of awesomeness coming out of there. Man, I love the bell on that engine too. Nothing like a little tradition witha new rig...

Dennis

resQyou

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Princeton NJ, and Flemington-Raritan NJ :thumbsup:

199520_429557840434437_517937146_n.jpg

229386_429550087101879_1409293875_n.jpg

240896_171409836249240_7379386_o.jpg

230466_171409766249247_4994277_n.jpg

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
That ol' Mack sure is pretty.

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
i believe it is a '82 mack/Salisbury. all three of the older macks are still in service. they are still goin strong!

both 89 macks

18-tanker( i believe this is a mack engine, frame, and body)

18-1000.JPG

18-1501

18-1501.JPG

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Bullets said:
Nothing makes me as happy as seeing EMS based Rescue services, AS GOD INTENDED

As god intended? Please quote for me in the Bible, Torah, Quran, or any other holy book where God says "And there shall be rescue services provided forth by EMS."

I think whoever can get the job done should provide the service regardless of who they're affiliated with. Your location says NJ. I can think of one EMS based rescue organization up there that thinks it's all high and mighty because they drive around in a neighboring town's old ALF and call it an EMS based Rescue unit. You wouldn't happen to be from Bergen county, would you?

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
SomeBloke said:

If you ask me, this one qualifies for the thread just because of the beacons on the front. Whelen Super Strobes oughta see more use as primary forward warning IMO.

Nov 29, 2011
UK
nerdly_dood said:
If you ask me, this one qualifies for the thread just because of the beacons on the front. Whelen Super Strobes oughta see more use as primary forward warning IMO.
I've seen it in action, very strange little thing really. From the crew commander of it I last spoke to he said it was bought from an airport to be used in case of future rioting and the roof monitor (rare to find those on normal appliances here) could be used rather than committing crews outside of the truck with hose lines in case they need to be moved in a hurry. Interesting animal but only sent to fires out in the open/car fires/fire alarms I understand. Theres a turn out video of it here

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
The requirements to get in the "best of" thread must be pretty dang low.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
resQyou said:
Roscommon TWP, it must be nice to have the MI DNR Fire Devolepmenent Center right there, they must see all kinds of awesomeness coming out of there. Man, I love the bell on that engine too. Nothing like a little tradition witha new rig...

Dennis

resQyou

Regrettably not as much awesomeness as before due to budget, but they stamp out some pretty mean machinery. I had the fortune of touring the facility, known as the Forest Fire Experiment Station, and was quite impressed. There are only a couple things they can't fabricate on site and have to send out. Other than that, every piece of apparatus is custom built and mounted to the chassis on site.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida

Honestly, I've never been a fan of the HME cabs; I find them peculiar.

As for the 2 NJ Rescue Squads, I had to change my pants 3x just thinking about how cool it'd be to have those in my dept. I think the Princeton paint/striping scheme is very cool, and the flemington unit (even though I'm not a huge fan of the orange) has an insane lighting package and is just an overall beast!

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
pdk9 said:
Honestly, I've never been a fan of the HME cabs; I find them peculiar.

As for the 2 NJ Rescue Squads, I had to change my pants 3x just thinking about how cool it'd be to have those in my dept. I think the Princeton paint/striping scheme is very cool, and the flemington unit (even though I'm not a huge fan of the orange) has an insane lighting package and is just an overall beast!

I'll admit they are a little strange looking, which has grown on me, but is hard to beat the visibility, build craftsmanship, and maneuverability. The turning radius amazes me to this day; very easy and fun to drive, IMO.

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Loveland Fire Rescue in Colorado, 1925 American LaFrance after a fresh restoration getting pump tested at an event in Texas i think, or maybe Oklahoma, I don't remember. I was not a part of the group that went down for the event, but I remember it came back and had passed!

It was a fantastic restoration, but the engine is pretty well toast. It has cracks in the cylinders, and leaks everything, so it has been placed inside a local museum as part of a fire exhibit.

lafrance.jpg

lafrance2.jpg

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
WIRED HDH said:
Loveland Fire Rescue in Colorado, 1925 American LaFrance after a fresh restoration getting pump tested at an event in Texas i think, or maybe Oklahoma, I don't remember. I was not a part of the group that went down for the event, but I remember it came back and had passed!

It was a fantastic restoration, but the engine is pretty well toast. It has cracks in the cylinders, and leaks everything, so it has been placed inside a local museum as part of a fire exhibit.

View attachment 48140

View attachment 48141

Love the lanterns!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.