Cannon HAW for Ram 1500 reverse replacement

Dec 12, 2013
NY
I ordered some dual color Feniex Cannons that I want to install as replacement bulbs in the reverse light sockets in my 2011 Ram. I wondered if anyone has done this (I found a thread where it was done on a '13 2500, but it had factory LED lights - mine does not) and whether I will need to install diodes to avoid a dead bulb warning on the dash?

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
I ordered some dual color Feniex Cannons that I want to install as replacement bulbs in the reverse light sockets in my 2011 Ram. I wondered if anyone has done this (I found a thread where it was done on a '13 2500, but it had factory LED lights - mine does not) and whether I will need to install diodes to avoid a dead bulb warning on the dash?
If you'll just pull the existing incandescent bulbs out of the reverse fixtures and then put the truck in reverse, you'll know if there is bulb out sensing right away.

On my Ford, there was no sensing. I just taped off the empty sockets, installed the Cannons in their place, but took my reverse and ground from the trailer tow circuit. That's relay controlled, separately fused, and doesn't rely on the BCM. The trailer tow harness also provided a very reliable ground for the Cannons.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
If you'll just pull the existing incandescent bulbs out of the reverse fixtures and then put the truck in reverse, you'll know if there is bulb out sensing right away.

That was what I was going to suggest.Member Firemedic1058 (I think has one... I know he talked about doing this before but I am not sure if he has done it).  

I personally have not done a dodge ram.  We've done tons of Fords and Chevy and not had an issue.

We have dealer ships selling the cannons as an added option now fas replacement upgrades over the factory. 

Reactions: wrights lights llc
Dec 12, 2013
NY
Ok I'll try doing that.

I've ordered pigtail wiring harnesses that plug into the factory bulb socket to avoid cutting any wires. Using the trailer wiring is a good idea though, but would involve more wiring.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Ok I'll try doing that.

I've ordered pigtail wiring harnesses that plug into the factory bulb socket to avoid cutting any wires. Using the trailer wiring is a good idea though, but would involve more wiring.
A little more wiring, yes, but using the trailer wiring avoids any issues with the BCM/PCM. And, it is much more bullet proof and able to tolerate additional current draw.

One of my concerns about using the regular reverse hot and ground is that it is unknown whether the ground side goes through the BCM/PCM. Using the ground in the trailer tow wiring avoids that concern. It gets back to basics before computers got in the middle of vehicle's lighting control.

Dec 12, 2013
NY
Got the cannons in on Saturday (fast ship from FEVER). Got the flash pattern and modes figured out and set to my liking, synced color flashing on mode 1, steady white on mode 3 which overrides mode 1. Yesterday I pulled one of the rear light housings off to check for bulb sensing, I did not get any messages with a reverse bulb removed so that's a good sign. I located a plug underneath the carpet below the rear seat to run the wires out, I didn't have the right size step bit to open up the bulb holes so I couldn't get the cannons installed, plan to do that on Thursday. Its looking pretty straightforward.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Just saw this thread...As for the light out warnings on the RAMs...My 2011 did have a warning icon that would come on when a bulb was out. My 2013 RAM gives a big warning message on the gauge cluster when a bulb is out. I don't have cannons in my reverse bulbs but I did switch out my stock bulbs to LED bulbs on my current truck and did not get any warning messages. But it could be a case by case..these trucks are so picky with the computer system as to what it likes and does not like. 

Reactions: unlisted
Dec 12, 2013
NY
I got this project completed yesterday. Worked out great, I didn't get any pictures but my 2011 Ram was pretty much the same as what this guy did:

I also had to carve out the plastic lip as shown in the photo at the link above in order to get the Cannon to seat flat. I used the stock wiring harness for power & ground of reverse function, it works fine and there are no bulb out warnings.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
A little more wiring, yes, but using the trailer wiring avoids any issues with the BCM/PCM. And, it is much more bullet proof and able to tolerate additional current draw.

One of my concerns about using the regular reverse hot and ground is that it is unknown whether the ground side goes through the BCM/PCM. Using the ground in the trailer tow wiring avoids that concern. It gets back to basics before computers got in the middle of vehicle's lighting control.
In my experience doing installations with alarms and remote start systems, rarely do OEM wiring grounds run back to the BCM (emphasis on "rarely).

I did this with Vertexes in '02 Silverado with no problems. Just had to drill out the existing hole a little bit, screw them in, and wire 'em up to the existing circuit.

dusty61

Jul 18, 2014
Triangle New York
You can also disable the warning message on the IPC with either a star scan/DRBIII or by using some of the high end scan tools. I have had a few guys do similer setups and get the stupid "check bulb" warning on the IPC display. Its easy to shut off if you go into the IPC control mode and toggle that tell tale off. But like I said, you need a star scan or DRB III or access to a Wi-tech equipped computer with the proper software to reprogram the module

pfdcar8

Dec 26, 2014
wallkill ny
Ok I'll try doing that.

Where did you find the wires, and did it throw a code I want to do it in my 2014 ram 2500

Dec 12, 2013
NY
Where did you find the wires, and did it throw a code I want to do it in my 2014 ram 2500
I can't remember where I got the wires, I had just found it online. It was like a bulb base with wires instead of filament. It didn't throw any codes for me, but that was a 2011.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.