CenCom Gold Vs CenCom Red

Batman88

Jul 24, 2010
NY
Good evening, I have a CenCom Red out of my old truck and am debating if I should upgrade to a CemCom Gold for my new truck. Is it worth upgrading to a Gold or is the Red good enough? Could anyone provide me with any pros or cons on the Gold?

Thanks

DMac

Jun 27, 2010
Unless you're wanting the "dying-cow" mechanical tone, alternate wail, alternate yelp, and the ability to move the siren function buttons to a different row on the control head, I think you will be fine with your Cencom Red. Quite honestly, I would stick with your current unit. If you don't want require the remote style head, and want some cool tone choices and nearly as good of functionality, you might try a 295SLSA6 or a hand-held HHS2200 if you're wanting to stick with Whelen choices.

Batman88

Jul 24, 2010
NY
Thank you DMac for the quick reply. How is the programming for the Gold compared to the Red? Also are there any programming updates for the Red?

Ps: sorry just noticed this was posted in the wrong forum

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I dont know if there is much diff. now. I heard there is a Cencom Gray comming out it should have Duel siren tones. Thats what Im waiting for.

philter74

May 27, 2010
Nyack, NY
VolEms said:
I dont know if there is much diff. now. I heard there is a Cencom Gray comming out it should have Duel siren tones. Thats what Im waiting for.

There are several differences in the programming software between the CenCom Red and the CenCom Gold. Additional siren tones, the ability to extract the program from the Gold, (the red had to be rewritten if you lost the file on your PC). This is just a few examples, it has been some time since I've really programmed a Red.

The CenCom Grey is identical in functionality to the Gold, with the addition of being able to interface with 54ward. The unit does not feature dual siren tones.

fcicars

May 22, 2010
Washington State
the function of the 3 low-amp outputs is also different. On the red the programming isn't as versitile, the outputs are the 9, 10, and 11 buttons, and you can't change it.

H.A.

Jun 24, 2010
Michigan
The Gray has technically been out for a year now. It is not readily available to the general public. The sale of it has to be authorized by both 54Ward and your Whelen regional sales office. A master distributor, distributor, or dealer won't be able to order it w/o the proper authorizations. In order to get one, you really need to be involved in a project with either 54ward or your Whelen Office about the purchase of a simple command or other 54ward system to get the ball rolling. In other words, call 54ward and tell them you're interested in a simple command system and that you're looking at purchasing a Cencom Gray. That should get you started.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiemartin6

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.