Change 100W Siren to 200W

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Reading this entire thread makes me feel like im the new guy on ELB again DAMN you guys know alot about sirens lol. All i know is that it goes wooo woooo and i connect the red and black wire and its loud.

When you guys figure it out let me know.

"It is a very good idea though"

ive done it.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I've tried to read thru this thread and I'm not sure if I've seen what I'm looking for. If you siren is solely a 100-watt siren: it only has a 100-watt amplifier; then w/o having it totally rebuilt, it remains 100-watts....period. A 100 watt amp will drive two 100 watt speakers nicely and get a bit more sound output. Some of your later PA200s and PA300s and some of the Carson-built SA400s that were built for SVP have switchable wattage from a selector switch inside the amplifier case. Problem solved there.

Now here are a couple of things I've seen: Federal PA15A Director is rated at just more than 75-watts output, if I remember correctly. No way to make it 100-watts or 200-watts; but I saw an ambulance in Amarillo one time that had a Director siren connected to three PA100 speakers. That thing was loud! I'm sure there was no actual wattage change in the Director's amp., but using three 100-watt speakers made a difference.

We had a 1972 Type II Chevy van ambulance that came was a 100-watt North American siren. It drove a pair of CP100 speakers, ane was sufficiently loud. But a couple of our guys got the proverbial "wild hair" and removed the North American siren and replaced it with a switchable PA200. In addition they added another pair of CP100 speakers to the mix, setting the PA200 to the full 200-watt output. That siren was awesome. Most of you know, I'm "old school" when it comes to siren. I'd rather have a Q or a B&M than anything. But that setup was loud! One of the few electronic sirens that actually hurt my ears. And I could drive with my window open and a Q or B&M overhead with no problem. With that PA200 setup, up went the window!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny22

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.