Cheapest way to get DVI patterns

Cop

Aug 2, 2013
Germany
Hello there,

I'm looking for a cheap solution to get Whelen's DVI patterns in my car.

It's just for 6 IONs so I don't need a amp or seperate controller.

It would be great if there were a external flasher with DVI but just core works with it.

Do you have any ideas how to get DVI patterns in a simple way?

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Hello there,

I'm looking for a cheap solution to get Whelen's DVI patterns in my car.

It's just for 6 IONs so I don't need a amp or seperate controller.

It would be great if there were a external flasher with DVI but just core works with it.

Do you have any ideas how to get DVI patterns in a simple way?
For getting IONs to DVI, the cheapest way is Core-C. You would need the Core-C and an expansion module. There is no other cheaper flasher that Im aware of that will achieve DVI.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I have noticed some of their heads (M7, and some brand new micro freedoms) come with DVI built into the flashers. Maybe over time they will incorporate DVI into the internal flashers.

Reactions: cabunty

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
I have noticed some of their heads (M7, and some brand new micro freedoms) come with DVI built into the flashers. Maybe over time they will incorporate DVI into the internal flashers.
It could be quite easily on Smartlogic flashers... I mean you could even make one with a pattern that plays for .5 second in steps from a low percentage to full and back down...

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Here a couple that found with it built in from factory.

Attachments

• 1EB76D11-6C10-4798-B885-159530A13680.png
    1EB76D11-6C10-4798-B885-159530A13680.png
    291.6 KB · Views: 8
  • FB7AEDDC-77D7-48B7-A510-D7F97B515836.jpeg
    FB7AEDDC-77D7-48B7-A510-D7F97B515836.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 8

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I would assume it will become part of standard patterns, they are pretty excited about it. I use it in core with condition "position 3 when in park or arrow activated and/or when rear only active". I replaced a slow single flash with the same but DVI. I drove up on one of the vehicles equipped as such and it was significantly less distracting but very visible.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
The DVI built into the heads is kinda neat if you haven’t played with it. Its a secondary pattern. It uses the low power wire to change from a normal pattern to a DVI pattern. I wouldn’t expect to see it on any lighthead that isn’t already offered with low power. I use DVI on all my park patterns now. It seems to be very effective with not blinding or distracting traffic as it passes an emergency vehicle on the side of the road.

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
Yes, and Carbide and such, too. Timer 100ms at 20 output, 100ms at 40, 100ms at 60, 100ms at 80, 100ms at 100, 100ms at 100, ... and back to 20; 20, 40, 60...
Each cycle is 1 second long.
This....

I was being lazy I think....but maybe 2 seconds total from low to low time...

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
So Smartlogic question:
It's dual mode? For M'7's and ION's, would you put them on steady and flash them through the Smartlogic? Will that give them variable intensity cruise capability?

Have a minimal install. Trying to decide if I wanna use a Smartlogic or go Core C with expansion module.

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Yes, and Carbide and such, too. Timer 100ms at 20 output, 100ms at 40, 100ms at 60, 100ms at 80, 100ms at 100, 100ms at 100, ... and back to 20; 20, 40, 60...
I'll have to give that a try...

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota

I had some downtime at work, so I tried some of this out. You could definitely do this on Carbide. But looking at programming, Smart Logic only has 4 virtual inputs, so you would be extremely limited on your intensities. I also checked out a WC control point for doing it on a lightbar. The limitation with the CP is that the timer for the virtuals only goes down to 1 second, so its not very smooth.

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
So on this topic...

I'm at a loss here. I have a Cantrol Gen 2, trying to make the "fake" DVI patterns. I have 8 Virtual Inputs, they go 20/40/60/80/100 and back (with two groups alternating). They are all variable timers at 100ms (I've also tried 1s). The OFF state for each is set to "Next State" for the next in line. I have a ACM input Push On/Push Off which is programmed to set the first virtual to Next State. When I apply 12v to it with two brand new Ion Duos attached, one powers on at 20% the other at 100% (which is the first virtual), but they never move to the next virtual.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...any ideas? I'm sure it's something simple...

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
So on this topic...

I'm at a loss here. I have a Cantrol Gen 2, trying to make the "fake" DVI patterns. I have 8 Virtual Inputs, they go 20/40/60/80/100 and back (with two groups alternating). They are all variable timers at 100ms (I've also tried 1s). The OFF state for each is set to "Next State" for the next in line. I have a ACM input Push On/Push Off which is programmed to set the first virtual to Next State. When I apply 12v to it with two brand new Ion Duos attached, one powers on at 20% the other at 100% (which is the first virtual), but they never move to the next virtual.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...any ideas? I'm sure it's something simple...
Are you using low power intensities or cruise?

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
So - I don't have a cruise option on the low (or high) power outputs on the Cantrol...
Dang.. I wish that I knew why low power doesn’t cycle. When I was playing with this, I was using a control point and a WeCan lightbar. I never tried it with outputs.I wonder if it would work using single flash 60 instead of on, and doing the timer less than 1 second, so that it never actually flashed.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Or, in the off state of the virtual, turn the output off as well. Idk? It might need to “reset” to change power output. Or try alternating virtuals between “on” and single flash 60.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.