Code 3 being made in taiwan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenn

May 28, 2010
Ocean County, NJ
Always thought Code 3 products were made in the US. Just got a set of XT6's in and saw "made in Taiwan" decals on them.

Am i just behind the times here or is this something new?

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
Nope this is the way most of the well known Companies do it.

Like Whelen,Code3,911ep,SVP, & Federal Signal.

They have stuff made overseas then ship them back to the USA and tweek them a little and say they are made here.

Sorry to bust your bubble , But the led's all come from Taiwan,China them places cause of cheap labor.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
sbparkcop said:
Whelen is ASSEMBLED in CT and NH... but they use foreign parts. Tomar is all american made, manufactured, and assembled.

*cough* shameless plug *cough* LoL :razz: :thumbsup: :dielaugh:

Jan 7, 2011
Tampa, Florida
kitn1mcc said:
whelen still made in chester and new hampshire

You are correct that they are ASSEMBLED in Connecticut, but I am currently awaiting a waterproof siren from Whelen, that is coming from Korea. Rontan North America is 100% made in the USA. All of their products are shipped from their PARENT cmpany in Brazil and their LEDs are Phillips....USA made. The only company that is 100% USA made is Feniex out of Austin Texas. The LEDs are Phillips Luxeon and all components are made in house and their lenses are extruded about 20 miles away from their manufacturing facility.

Nick@Feniex

Dec 23, 2010
Texas

Your thoughts guys.

We have a few more videos coming soon. (Feniex Testing) , (Feniex Supply Chain)

Our goal is to showcase our companies capabilities and dedication to the EVL industry.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Most of Whelen's products are still made in the US. I'm sure their LEDs and other small products are foreign-sourced but I've visited their factory in NH and I can guarantee that 99% of their products are made in-house.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
I think that any person should be very careful in making blanket statements about any company's sourcing. Those who are really in the know are not likely to tell. At nearly every level, US manufacturing has been impacted by foreign competition. Heck, even a large percentage of consumer-grade US flags are made overseas. In certain cases, our country lacks the capability to manufacturer some items, in whole or in part, or to make them at competitive prices. I don't think this equates to an argument to buy "import" brands over "US" brands, regardless of component origin. I prefer "US" brands because of higher quality control, even over their products that are wholly imported, and the feeling/hope that I am in some way providing jobs for Americans...Jobs that send American children to college, provide health care for American families, and allow for investment in American communities.

Last edited by a moderator:

proled

Sep 8, 2010
Belgium
C2Installs said:
I think that any person should be very careful in making blanket statements about any company's sourcing.

All I can say, is someone from Britax UK gave me the info that the XT series come from Manywain in Taiwan... and some of the other Code3 products...

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
SlickTop Solutions said:
Then why does the driver on the SA314 I just installed two weeks ago say "made in Tawain"?

So have the replacement drivers I have been getting from Whelen and Code3.

Not sure about Code 3 but Whelen has been using the Taiwan Sanming/Megavox SD-210R siren driver, U.S. Patent # 5,987,148, in some of their speakers for over 10 years. The ones I know about are the Xecutor speaker, Longhorn speaker assembly, SA 40 lightbar speaker and the SA-314 series. Sho-Me is also using them in most of their speakers.

In regards to Atlas Sound's AS100N 100 watt driver, it has very interesting similarities to the SD-210R including the exact same dimensions, 117 mm X 76 mm, cooling fins on bottom and reinforcing ribs on the top shell. I could find no made in USA or patent for the AS100N on the Atlas website.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v691_Henry455_SD_210R_2_7a1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v691_Henry455_SD_210R_AS100N_Data_Sheet.jpg

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
proled said:
All I can say, is someone from Britax UK gave me the info that the XT series come from Manywain in Taiwan... and some of the other Code3 products...

Yes, Code3 XT lights are imported according to at least one of their reps. Not arguing that.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
Fenn said:
Is it just the xt series?

I don't know, and actually that was the point of my first response in the thread. Few here have the true inside knowledge of any product line's complete origin. Those that do are likely not going to disclose what the know due to conditions of employement or other business-based reasons. And likely no one person knows the origins of every component in every product in every maker's product lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
The Buy American Act requires that a product be manufactured in the U.S. of more than 50 percent U.S. parts to be considered Made in USA for government procurement purposes. For more information, review the Buy American Act at 41 U.S.C. §§ 10a-10c, the Federal Acquisition Regulations at 48 C.F.R. Part 25, and the Trade Agreements Act at 19 U.S.C. §§ 2501-2582.

Source: Wikipedia

This leaves the door open for a product to contain a great deal of foreign processes and parts for items with a "Made in The USA" label.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
elite907 said:
Nope this is the way most of the well known Companies do it.
Like Whelen,Code3,911ep,SVP, & Federal Signal.

They have stuff made overseas then ship them back to the USA and tweek them a little and say they are made here.

Sorry to bust your bubble , But the led's all come from Taiwan,China them places cause of cheap labor.

FedSig makes most of their stuff, particularly lightbars, in house. The boards are all populated and soldered (bath) at the factory. They have in-house metal bending, powder coating, etc.

As to the individual components like a chip or an LED, I don't know. I don't think anyone can claim that EVERY part on EVERY product is US-based. Some microchips and such are made offshore and there is no US based replacement. FedSig uses CREE LEDs in many of their products. CREE is a US based company with many offices in the US, but they also have a Hong Kong and a Taiwan office. Where are the actual components made? No idea.

Under NAFTA, "made" means adding significant value to something. Not just slapping a sticker on it, but assembling it , etc is ok. I know of a bicycle company that buys frames for bikes from China. They come shipped in 2 pieces. The assembly plant puts the 2 pieces in a jig and runs 2 welds. That meets the "Made in north america" rules under NAFTA.

Whelen may buy their speaker drivers from Taiwan (I've noticed the SA314 drivers as well) but they assemble them at their factory in the US, so they can (under NAFTA rules) say "Made in USA".

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
:rolleyes:

Ummmm, who cares???

For each unit "made" (loosly used) in the US, I'm sure there's another unit from the same manuf made elsewhere.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
philyumpshus said:
Most of Whelen's products are still made in the US. I'm sure their LEDs and other small products are foreign-sourced but I've visited their factory in NH and I can guarantee that 99% of their products are made in-house.

The Customs Code definition of "origin" is the last point where substantial work on a product do alter its destination.

(ie: wiring, chips, LED heads may be made in Taiwan as individual products, but ultimately assembled together they become a lightbar)

So yes, if many different spare parts come from various origins, the fact that the final assembly location is in the US make it legally a Made in USA product.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
EPD0407 said:
They're still better than just about anyone else out there! What company is truly made in the USA? Tomar? They're junk, which is why no one around my area has anything from them. It's all Whelen and Federal Signal. :thumbsup:

And the newbie come out swingin... LOL

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
EPD0407 said:
They're still better than just about anyone else out there! What company is truly made in the USA? Tomar? They're junk, which is why no one around my area has anything from them. It's all Whelen and Federal Signal. :thumbsup:

I'm not ourifht trying to defend the brand, but why is Tomar junk? Apparently they're decent quality, seeing how as they received an exclusive 5th contract for all federal vehicles (Homeland Security, US Coast Guard, Border Patrol, US Marshals, etc).

Tomar priced themselves out of a large segment of the market in the past, no doubt, but pricing is on par with the other brands now. As for nobody in your area not having Tomar, you're incorrect. I know, because I'm the new Tomar distributor in the area - a 10min drive from your listed location, and I've already gotten quote requests from SEVERAL municipalities, including a fairly large pending deal.

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
sbparkcop said:
How so? :undecided:

Because it is a completely false statement that you as a Tomar dealer are puting out there to discredit your competition. If that is what one must do to sell his or her products, I feel sorry for them. Whelen and it's 1200+ New England employees are rather proud that they design and manufacture the products that have the Whelen name on them. If a component can not be manufactured by them, only then will they go outside the company for a part. If that part can not come from a U.S. manufacturer, then, and ONLY then will they source a part to a foreign country. Whelen is the ONLY manufacturer that complies withe the federal trade commissions "Made in the USA" claim requirements.

If a US manufacturer purchases LED circuit boards from China and puts them together in the US with their own parts to make a lightbar, then they cannot legally claim the product was "Made in the U.S.A."

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
EPD0407 said:
Who in MY area actually uses Tomar equipment then right now? Not "pending" orders, or "requests" for quotes, anyone can say and get those.....

Tomar is the same company that made those God-awful strobe lights back in the 90's or early 2000's with the white frame that stood up about two feet off the roof, right? They're a small time player in a huge market.

Napannee and Notre Dame currently use Tomar. Yes, the same company that made those God awful lights... I'm no no way defending those - they were horrible! And yes, small fish - big pond. But the quality, look, and pricing is there.

I'm a dealer for the other "big brands," as well, for full disclosure. I just think it's unfair for you to make those blanket statements, while not informed. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.