Code 3 being made in taiwan

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Outsider said:
Because it is a completely false statement that you as a Tomar dealer are puting out there to discredit your competition. If that is what one must do to sell his or her products, I feel sorry for them. Whelen and it's 1200+ New England employees are rather proud that they design and manufacture the products that have the Whelen name on them. If a component can not be manufactured by them, only then will they go outside the company for a part. If that part can not come from a U.S. manufacturer, then, and ONLY then will they source a part to a foreign country. Whelen is the ONLY manufacturer that complies withe the federal trade commissions "Made in the USA" claim requirements.

If a US manufacturer purchases LED circuit boards from China and puts them together in the US with their own parts to make a lightbar, then they cannot legally claim the product was "Made in the U.S.A."

I'm not trying to discredit any "competition" or their employees, seeing how as I'm a Whelen dealer. I've been told by Whelen, directly, that they use foreign products. And, as I stated, Tomar's are made in house at the Arizona facility. It is because of that, among other reasons, that they secured the federal contract.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
EPD0407 said:
So you sold Tomar lights to N-a-p-p-a-n-e-e and Notre Dame? Or are you just letting me know that they use them and you're using them to promote your own business interests? Just curious? Sorry but I heard about this forum through some friends, and being a big light junkie myself I was curious to see what kind of propaganda and BS is being splewn on here! And as far as quality, no one can touch the FS Arjent for warning power. Which is why ISP, EPD, SBPD, and many other MAJOR municipalities use them.

First, thanks for the spelling lesson! I'm on my iPhone, typing can be a challenge at times, so I appreciate the assist. Second, I never claimed to have sold those departments their lighting or promoted it as such - you asked who in your area had the brand, I told you. Plain and simple.

I am a dealer for Whelen, FedSig, and Code3. I'm not attempting show bias in anyway, just stating the facts as I know them. You seem rather aggressive and defensive in your posts, but there's really no need. SBPD wants nothing more to do with the Arjents... They've had moisture and lens coloring issues for the department. To quote Services Division Chief Horvath from my meeting with him 2 weeks ago, "Those Arjent things look dorky".

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
sbparkcop said:
I am a dealer for Whelen, FedSig, and Code3. I'm not attempting show bias in anyway, just stating the facts as I know them.

Here is your "Authorized Brands Page" on your Facebook page.

ai18.photobucket.com_albums_b145_NPSA173_Brands.jpg

Nah... no bias there.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Outsider said:
Here is your "Authorized Brands Page" on your Facebook page.

ai18.photobucket.com_albums_b145_NPSA173_Brands.jpg

Nah... no bias there.

Exactly. And my master distributor for those brands has also made me an authorized dealer for the other lighting manufacturers (Whelen/FedSig/Code3), which many members her can attest to. I'm not hiding anything that isn't already known. My focus on lighting brands is Tomar and Pimp Pods - again, not a secret.

Feel free to contact Sarah from Priority One, she's a member her. I'm sure she'd be happy to let you know I'm a dealer.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
EPD0407 said:
And just does how one become "authorized" to sell these brands? Maybe by buying them from wholesale websites (like any other joe-blow can) and then marking up the price to resell them to unsuspecting agencies/individuals. Fortunately there are some of us out there who educate ourselves on products before we buy them from illegit companies. Now that I've seen your page on FB I have to ask, are you bonded/insured for installations? Cause it looks like you have some high school kid installing lights on that truck??? It's unfortunate too since you are local to me and I have a lot of friends/family in public safety in the area that I would send your way if I thought you were legit. :hahano:

One becomes authorized by coming into an agreement with a master distributor (Priority One in Livonia, MI) or the brand themselves (Tomar, Ark-La-Miss Lights) like I have done. :duh:

And yes, my business is insured for installations. Until such time a building is secured, all installations are to be performed on site. The person doing the installations is a 20yr old guy who has been doing installations, full time, for businesses in the Niles, MI and Columbia City, IN areas, respectively. He's done the installation work at Elkhart Police - fell free to check the quality of work. You are an Elkhart Police officer, correct?

As for being illegitimate, I'm not sure where that claim comes from. I have my LLC license from the State of Indiana, my sales tax agreement with the State of Indiana, and my federal tax ID number. Not sure what else I'd have to get to make me legitimate, in your eyes.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
So whats up with the newbes stirring the pot and being as$holes.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
TritonBoulder47 said:
Awww... Where did he go...?

Yeah... strangely EPD0407's posts have all been edited down to nothing. Could it be because I asked if he was really an Elkhart police officer, because I proved I was a legitimate businessman? Awkward. :suicide:

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
People need to do better research, or do some soert of research at all before starting shit... I see that EPD0407 had packed up his shit and left, now this "Outsider" character needs to figure out the difference between "Authorized Dealer" and "Master Distributor"

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
Add PowerArc to the list of manufacturers made in the US.

Light boards, manufactured in the US.

Control boards, manufactured in the US.

Light housings, manufactured in the US.

Light bar frames, manufactured in the US.

Motors sources from a US manufacturer.

Final assembly done in their Shrewsbuy, MO plant.

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
TritonBoulder47 said:
People need to do better research, or do some soert of research at all before starting shit... I see that EPD0407 had packed up his shit and left, now this "Outsider" character needs to figure out the difference between "Authorized Dealer" and "Master Distributor"

Umm... Perhaps the one who might need to do better research is you. This "character" never mentioned one word pertaining to someone being an authorized dealer or master distributor. I simply pointed out that while Tomar is listed, Code 3, Fed Sig and Whelen were not. It was part of the "Biased" discussion. But if you did your research you would have seen that. We can go back and read it together if you'd like.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Outsider said:
Umm... Perhaps the one who might need to do better research is you. This "character" never mentioned one word pertaining to someone being an authorized dealer or master distributor. I simply pointed out that while Tomar is listed, Code 3, Fed Sig and Whelen were not. It was part of the "Biased" discussion. But if you did your research you would have seen that. We can go back and read it together if you'd like.

Yes, can you please read it to me... I forgot that I'm an idiot and I don't have the ability to read. :bonk:

led0987

Jul 13, 2010
Joplin, MO
Outsider said:
Whelen and it's 1200+ New England employees are rather proud that they design and manufacture the products that have the Whelen name on them. If a component can not be manufactured by them, only then will they go outside the company for a part. If that part can not come from a U.S. manufacturer, then, and ONLY then will they source a part to a foreign country. Whelen is the ONLY manufacturer that complies with the federal trade commissions "Made in the USA" claim requirements.

If a US manufacturer purchases LED circuit boards from China and puts them together in the US with their own parts to make a lightbar, then they cannot legally claim the product was "Made in the U.S.A."

+1000!

As someone who traveled to Chester, CT with my department not to long ago I can tell you I saw a tremendous amount of product being "Manufactured" by Whelen, not just assembled. I watched machines and workers stamp LED's onto a circuit board, alluminum being shapped into lightbar frames and brackets, lens's being cut, and sirens being assembled from scratch. I asked where Whelen got the LED's from and they told me from an American manufacturer, I though I heard GE but I honestly cant remember.

I can't imagine Whelen would go through all the trouble of promoting their "Manufactured in the U.S.A" logo on every product and catalog that comes out the door if it wasn't atleast 98% true. Thats a tremendous amount of false advertising to take on if its not. I know they have publically said they do purchase their siren drivers from overseas because they haven't found a quality manufacturer in America but I know the rest of their product is "Manufactured" here.

Bottom line, its American quality with American labor. Anytime I have a lightbar or lighthead go down I can call Whelen and the problem is addressed immediatley. Thats worth alot in my book.

And just so you dont think I'm all Whelen, I did just talk my department into the new Federal Bar for $6500 for our new SCU.

Flame on.

May 21, 2010
California
Wow - I have not heard so much miss-information from one or two posters here on this board in a long time.. I thought we were over BS miss-information and talking from ones butts...

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
TheGatekeeper said:
The Customs Code definition of "origin" is the last point where substantial work on a product do alter its destination.
(ie: wiring, chips, LED heads may be made in Taiwan as individual products, but ultimately assembled together they become a lightbar)

So yes, if many different spare parts come from various origins, the fact that the final assembly location is in the US make it legally a Made in USA product.

Maybe you misread: I WENT TO THEIR FACTORY. I saw them making everything from scratch- reflector housings, domes, lenses, siren amplifiers- EVERYTHING. Most of it started as little plastic beads. The only part that was sourced out was hardware and printed circuit boards. It's not an assembly plant- it's a factory.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
also whelen has alot of workers who are take home workers they pick the parts assemble at home it works great

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
TritonBoulder47 said:
Awww... Where did he go...?

sbparkcop said:
Yeah... strangely EPD0407's posts have all been edited down to nothing. Could it be because I asked if he was really an Elkhart police officer, because I proved I was a legitimate businessman? Awkward. :suicide:

I read thru this whole thread , That is Funny As Hell.

How everyone can be friendly 1 minute and talk wrong about some lights and everyone is ready to Fight.

The way I see it is Who Cares where its made or how it is made, As long as it holds up to the conditions ,it is super bright and most of all affordable.

It's kinda like going to Wal-Mart, Lowes, Menard's , Sears or where ever you shop at. Almost 75% of the items we buy & use everyday come from overseas.

Look at the Vehicles we all drive , Not every part is made in the USA.

So as much as I hate to admit it ,There is not much these days that is truly 100% Made in the USA.

nbkj58

Sep 29, 2010
Indiana, USA
elite907 said:
I read thru this whole thread , That is Funny As Hell.
How everyone can be friendly 1 minute and talk wrong about some lights and everyone is ready to Fight.

The way I see it is Who Cares where its made or how it is made, As long as it holds up to the conditions ,it is super bright and most of all affordable.

It's kinda like going to Wal-Mart, Lowes, Menard's , Sears or where ever you shop at. Almost 75% of the items we buy & use everyday come from overseas.

Look at the Vehicles we all drive , Not every part is made in the USA.

So as much as I hate to admit it ,There is not much these days that is truly 100% Made in the USA.

+1

A lot of people give me crap for owning a Nissan truck, but hey its made in Mississippi at a plant that employs a few thousand Americans, it takes Americans to ship it to dealers, it takes Americans to sell it, Americans to service it. But the problem I have is it takes foreign oil to fill it, but thats another thread!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
the motors, "cockpits" exhaust, radiators, evaps, and a ferw other parts are made here in tn.

I am a contracted worker for a nissan supplier.

May 24, 2010
NY
Everyone is quick to dismiss knockoff or no name lights etc....but they some of them are made in the same foreign countries and citys such as these manufacturers. And the products are the same.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
freeagentmember13 said:
Everyone is quick to dismiss knockoff or no name lights etc....but they some of them are made in the same foreign countries and citys such as these manufacturers. And the products are the same.

Yes and sorta no. It depends on the spec and the quality control. Remember when "made in Japan" meant it was junk, and now it's the world-standard for many items ?

A US or other company can engineer and spec a product well, then get it made offshore somewhere, and it'll come back (generally) as a good product. You can have a company do a poor engineering job and get it made in the US or Canada (just so you don't think I'm knocking American workers) and it'll be junky.

A great example is Harley-Davidson pre-1990. They just about went out of business because of the Japanese bikes and the poor engineering and build quality of HD. They adopted Japanese build and design principles, and have done exceptionally well over the last 20 years. Kinda ironic, huh? Unless you're Japanese :)

cameo89

May 24, 2010
S.W. Michigan
I had ordered some code 3 amber leds from a member here about 6-8 weeks ago and when they came to me I removed one of the mounting brackets, to see "Made in China" wow so I automaticly assumed I got screwed and got some KO junk, then once doing some researce I found that code 3 does in fact make/build leds in China. kinda disappointing

rad123

Aug 5, 2011
Dixon, CA
Rontan is not made in the USA. Its made in Brazil. Whelen is built from scrach in the USA.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
rad123 said:
Whelen is built from scrach in the USA.

Ummmm hate to burst you w bubble, but no its not. Not all whelen products are made in the US. Look it up on here. Only company IIRC who does make all there products in house is Tomar in AZ.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
MEVS06 said:
Ummmm hate to burst you w bubble, but no its not. Not all whelen products are made in the US. Look it up on here. Only company IIRC who does make all there products in house is Tomar in AZ.

Oh? Where do they get their siren speaker drivers, I wonder?

I think you'll find that NO one makes all their products in-house. Welcome to the global market. Get used to it - it's not going to change in the foreseeable future.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Not trying to stir the pot, but this reminds me of the bickering between Honda owners and Harley owners. Most Harley owners will tell you that their bike is 100% American, and my GoldWing isnt. Thats when I ask him how come the brake calipers on his bike have the same Japanese name as my bike. Its all in fun and who really cares....

On a side note, I have been to many classes at Whelen's facility in Chester, CT. They do have a heck of a manufacturing facility. While some of their parts may come from overseas, I would say most everything is made and assembled right there in CT and NH.

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
I can't say I am surprised but I spent less than 15min looking and found that Tomar imports parts from overseas. it appears to be led transforms. I'm no expert and can't 100% verify this information but I feel it's safe to assume that there is no company that is truely 100% USA made. there has got to be at least 1 part of any product made overseas unless your talking about a 100% cotton t-shirt organically grown and stitched together in the USA or some similar process. I think there is an acceptable standard and expectation that there are some parts and materials that are made overseas and used in our American made products as was recently said welcome to the global market. as long as americans are employed and makeing a living what's the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cameronbraedyn

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.