Code 3 Excalibur upgrades, info and C&C needed

ransom

Jan 24, 2014
Maryland
Hey guys, some might remember my constant questions about my previous PPV's MX7000 bar, but I was just recently upgraded to a 2008 Vic with the Excalibur style bar. Our department decided to set it up in the following manner when it was new. 

[Broken External Image]:http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/YesOfficer/Excalibur_zps86iltazi.jpg

The upper domes are filled with (8) Code 3 Optix (the 3 headed ones), 4 facing front, 4 facing rear. The middle section has a red/blue mixture of the 3 headed Optix. 

The lower dome has the nice Optix 6 in a diagonal setting that has pretty good side and frontal footprints for a TIR style. On each side of the lower section, (2) of the crappy PSE LC style (the one with 16 small LEDs) lights in RED face the front, and (1) on each side facing the rear with a Traffic Adviser filling the middle sections (all PSE LC style). 

The only changes I've made thus far are moving 2 of the Optix 3's in the upper domes from the rear to the front for a bigger footprint, so now I have 3 on each side facing the front and 1 on each side facing the rear. I need some recommendations on how to fill the bar on a budget. I was thinking of purchasing 2 more of the Blue Optix6's and placing them in the lower section facing the front (replacing the outtermost LC style Reds, leaving 2 of the LC Reds towards the middle section). I can get a pretty good deal on (4) blue LEDX's for $25, figured they're better than the (6) Optix3's I have facing the front now and placing them in the upper dome, while moving the Optix3's back to the rear and maybe 1 on each side facing the side.

Honestly I'd rather get some nice Linear modules to fill the upper dome but I'm not really sure what's out there thats compatible (on board flasher, 2 wire setup with maybe a sync wire). 

Last edited by a moderator:

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Whelen 500 series heads or Fed Sig solaris heads are cheap in the classifieds and would be a big upgrade over the optix heads. 

ransom

Jan 24, 2014
Maryland
Edit: So I found out I have no external flashers, all the Optix and LED's in the bar have in-board flashers, so anything I buy is going to need the same. I'd love to get some plug 'n play stuff, so Fed Sig Solaris heads are a no-go because I'd have to figure out how to mount them. I may pickup some Whelen 500's if I can find them on the cheap. For now I think I'll just get 2x of the Optix 6 to replace the outtermost Red LED's facing the front in the lower section. 

Here's how its currently setup

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g201_YesOfficer_Mobile_20Uploads_20151020_101233_zpsvqylxa0p.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g201_YesOfficer_Mobile_20Uploads_20151020_101228_zpsqkwkos8u.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g201_YesOfficer_Mobile_20Uploads_20151020_101641_zpsi3ojdor4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
la_canuck

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.