COMPLETED 2014 F250 brake light ideas Whelen Strip-Lite

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Looking for ideas on installing 2 Whelen S/T/T Strip lights that I have, on the rear of my 14 F250..

I want to try to avoid holes, especially in the sheet metal.

Thinking of mounting on the plastic cap on the top of the tailgate, or between the gate and the bumper.

Any Ideas welcome,, Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kitn1mcc

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Contact the people who make the stuff for the bath tubs to keep you from slipping.

A get some of the adhesive that holds them down

You know how hard it is to pull the darn things up off the tub?

Those light strips will never fall off. :haha:

Reactions: dmathieu

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I don't like the top of the tailgate b/c it's exposed to damage there IMO

The gap beneath the tailgate is tucked away and any drilling that you may have to do would be tucked away as well

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA

The gap beneath the tailgate is tucked away and any drilling that you may have to do would be tucked away as well
But also get blocked by snow and ice buildup which was why I voted for higher up. If installed properly, there shouldn't be an issue up high. They will also be visible to more vehicles higher up and from a greater distance away.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY

That would be okay if you were driving a Cooper Mini behind it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Rather than installing something so obtrusive as 2 strip lights, even when off, is there a LAW that I can add to existing brake lights, that will be eye catching, like the Signalalert/steady that Whelen brake lights are known for, but not be too dim during daylight, or blinding at night?

I want to add to the existing bulbs, not replace them, to hopefully not be out of SAE specs. Am I on the right track? 

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
I would do a pair of Feniex Cannons or their other new version (blanking on the name right now) they do that signal alert/steady brake pattern.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Would they be too blinding at night for brake lights?

Just found a couple of great threads on the Feniex lights. My only question is would they be legal as either replacements for, or in addition to the factory bulbs?  Brake would be their only function.

fedsigMaster

Nov 28, 2011
Augusta, Ga
   I'm halfway through putting Cannons in my '13 F250's brake lights. I've got one done so I'm in the perfect position to get a comparison video. I was planning on using the flicker-steady pattern, but after testing it I think I'm just gonna go strait to steady. The brake lights are also turn lights so there's no way to tell the cannon to do a different pattern (unless you pull from the front). When the turn signal flashes the cannon does the flicker-steady bit, but it just looks like a double flash. While it doesn't look bad, it's just not what I envisioned. The light output is good, the six diode steady compliments the OEM lights nicely. I'll try and get a video up tomorrow morning.

fedsigMaster

Nov 28, 2011
Augusta, Ga
   Well, I missed the morning by 30 min, but I woke up at 10:00. So I feel I'm doing pretty good.

Anyway, the Cannon is 3 mode solid red. I installed it below the OEM bulb. 

IMAG1707.jpg

Right now I only have one in the right housing, the left one is still factory. The annoying humming in the video was caused by the neighbor sanding some cabinets. I was gonna shoot a video of the cannon coming on steady, but it's hot outside. I'll probably change the pattern tomorrow night while I'm at work. I'll also be able to get a night video if your interested.

As to the legality. That's part of the reason why I don't like the double flash with the turn signal. Flashing red lights don't need to happen while I'm changing lanes. Do I think adding light to the brakes lights increases liability...not really. I don't know how people are up your way, but in Georgia people are too ignorant to notice anything is different. There's an ambulance service that changed all their DOT lighting to blue. All of the new EMS units we have at work don't have high mount stop lamps. None of the inspecting agencies seem to care. There are much bigger problems than a couple extra lumens coming from the STT lights. I'm no lawyer, but I don't feel that it's a big enough issue to not to do it. If I get hit from behind it's probably their fault anyway. That's what my opinion is, take it or leave it.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Install complete, using 2 Whelen Striplite B/T/T lights.

Mounted in the space between the tailgate and the bumper, (perfect fit).

I wired into the trailer plug, so no cut factory wires.

Pretty much invisible when not activated,

Then with parking lights on,

and last with brake lights on.

The brake and turn signal functions activate Whelen's "Signal-alert"/steady pattern. Very effective.

S6304273.JPG

S6304271.JPG

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.