Didn't like the "warning" pattern on my strobe arrow bar

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have a strobe arrow bar powered by a Whelen UPS 690 (newer style). The arrow functions are fine, but the "warning" pattern within the arrow mode is pretty bad. I ended up using a relay to put the supply back into "regular mode" by removing one of the three pattern wires required to place it into arrow mode.

Usually once in arrow mode (all three pattern wires powered) the blue and green wire do arrow functions and the yellow does the warning pattern. You place the supply into arrow mode by powering all three pattern wire at once. I hooked the pattern wire I wanted to disable (gray) to the normally open side of a relay and the trigger to the yellow wire. Now when you power the yellow wire it powers all 6 heads (I have the progressive switching enabled and yellow turns on all heads) but it also removes power from the grey pattern wire. This drops the supply out of arrow mode back into regular mode, action flash. Probably not necessary just to get a better warning pattern, but I hate the warning pattern in arrow mode. I am editing a video.

relay.png
Matrix.pngarrow outlets.png
b

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Can’t wait for the video.
Years ago (to many to count now, amazing to think how long ago and how time flies) I had a UPS690. Never used it for arrow functions as I used the PS for hideaways and deck lights. But thought it was the coolest thing to be able to do strobe arrow functions if I wanted to. Loved the choices of patterns the UPS690 had, although I stuck to action flash.
I am always amazed at your ingenuity to “change the norm”

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This is updated with the flasher for the end halogens (it's six strobe with a halogen on each end). You get a steady burn on the end that the arrow flashes towards. Blue triggers "pause" (momentary off) and steady burns the left halogen. Green triggers pause and steady burns the right halogen. Green and Blue steady burn both halogens. Yellow (action flash) triggers flashing.

Slight correction to the drawing.
flasher png.pngrelay png arrow.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RS485 and Maxim2Eng

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Switching system I made

Reactions: C17LVFD

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.