Dimensions of Inner Edge XLP vs FST

Sfd295

Jul 6, 2010
Massachusetts
Does anyone have the height of the Inner Edge FST vs XLP? I found the XLP listed as 7 inches high in a search but that seems a very high. I know the brackets change the mounted height a bit depending on the vehicle, but I'm just interested in the actual unit's dimensions. I'm going to install one or the other in a 2021 Explorer but I'm concerned about losing too much windshield to the unit. Currently have just a passenger side Strobes n More unit and I don't want to go too much larger than that on the driver's side. I believe it's about 1.5" H. I like the idea of the FST but having a better view out the windshield is more important to me.

Thanks in advance.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
XLP vs FST
Neither one takes up too much windshield on an explorer.

Attachments

• 7CF2BC67-2618-478C-B5D8-4AAC580AE7A5.png
    7CF2BC67-2618-478C-B5D8-4AAC580AE7A5.png
    704.8 KB · Views: 24
  • F31EFDC5-AD40-4A74-9B69-594A37B887C3.png
    F31EFDC5-AD40-4A74-9B69-594A37B887C3.png
    533.6 KB · Views: 24

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
While the thicknesses of the lightheads are significantly different, the thickness of the brackets that hold them arent much different. Look at those Whelen photos, you can see how much of that frame sticks out above on the XLP, where it barely sticks out at all on the FST.

JNST140

Jul 15, 2021
SC, United States
While the thicknesses of the lightheads are significantly different, the thickness of the brackets that hold them arent much different. Look at those Whelen photos, you can see how much of that frame sticks out above on the XLP, where it barely sticks out at all on the FST.

From what I've read about them lately its basically the same height line on the windshield but the FST is utilizing more of the space above the gasket line than the XLP modules and its still more compact than the nForces right?

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
From what I've read about them lately its basically the same height line on the windshield but the FST is utilizing more of the space above the gasket line than the XLP modules and its still more compact than the nForces right?
Im not sure about the nForces, but you are right about the height line. Ive installed both, but never measured. I was told from a Whelen rep that they are the same height line just as you said. Looking through pics that I have, it looks like the XLP might be slightly higher, but its really hard to tell. But I have sat in the drivers seat, and neither one is very obtrusive.

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Thanks for that. I somehow didn't come across that literature online. I appreciate your help.
Glad to help. Unlike most of their other products where you can find dimensional specs, they almost seem to hide them for the ILB's.

Sfd295

Jul 6, 2010
Massachusetts
Thank you everyone for the help.
Definitely seems this way. Our upfitter used to use all Code 3 Supervisors and installed them on some new F350's we got back in 2017-2018. They were so obtrusive on the windshield. Made it difficult to see traffic lights when you were up close. They also were pretty terrible for warning use. I didn't want to make that same mistake. Looks like I'll be going with the FST.

JNST140

Jul 15, 2021
SC, United States
Thank you everyone for the help.

Definitely seems this way. Our upfitter used to use all Code 3 Supervisors and installed them on some new F350's we got back in 2017-2018. They were so obtrusive on the windshield. Made it difficult to see traffic lights when you were up close. They also were pretty terrible for warning use. I didn't want to make that same mistake. Looks like I'll be going with the FST.
Even with the XLPs I've still noticed some obstruction issues however not as bad. As far as warning capability I'd never go with anything besides Whelen or SoundOff Signal with SOS and I think the nForce isn't that much lower if any then the FSTs

O2Warnings

Jul 14, 2020
CT
Even with the XLPs I've still noticed some obstruction issues however not as bad. As far as warning capability I'd never go with anything besides Whelen or SoundOff Signal with SOS and I think the nForce isn't that much lower if any then the FSTs
Fed Sig is superior to SOS…maybe you forgot them after whelen

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.