End of an Era

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Kevin K. said:
Just got done browsing C3's website, and noticed that the MX 7000 is now absent from all divisions. It appears to me that it has been discontinued. Is there any official word on this?

Calculon: "Funny story. The script called for me to say "Yes", but I gave it a little twist."

Last edited by a moderator:

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I knew the world was ending. All that's left is the zombie apocalypse.

Bastards.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
Weird thing is the LP6000 seems to be alive & kicking. I thought that bar would be gone long before the MX.

The LP beacon must still hold it's own, but, I can't think of the last time I've seen a fullsize LP bar in service. Or even a newer-ish one...

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
I'd wait until there's official word regarding the status of the MX. I'm not sure how discontinuing it will reduce production cost, considering that the upper domes is still in production for the RMX and for the Excalibur, and the lower dome is used for the Ranger.

I think the LP 6000 is a terrific product oriented to those seeking lower-cost alternatives. What's surprising is that the Code 360 appears to be still in production. I still lament the demise of the XF2300; I really liked that bar, and I think it would have done very well equipped with the PriZm modules.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
If they did decide to discontinue it, the LP6000 would still be a great alternative to those agencies or individuals on a budget and can't afford LED. I think the LP6000 does good in today's standards of brighter lighting.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
To me personally, the MX and LP died the day the metal rotators were replaced with plastic. I know the plastic ones are computer engineered to be w/o hot spots and the brightest they can be, I'm just nit impressed with the durability. Now that Code 3 is competitive with the other major companies in the LED market I would guess that they will (like the others) will focus less and less on halogen bars. Most companies will keep a few beacon and minibar based halogen options, but the fade into the sunset of halogen is an industry wide phenomenon.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
JohnMarcson said:
...Now that Code 3 is competitive with the other major companies in the LED market I would guess that they will (like the others) will focus less and less on halogen bars. Most companies will keep a few beacon and minibar based halogen options, but the fade into the sunset of halogen is an industry wide phenomenon.

That's a shame really; I like seeing a shiny halogen/LED MX on the roof of a brand new engine.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I wouldn't worry about it too much, b/c there are so many MX7K out there already, and I don't know of many ppl that would pay full, brand new retail price for one these days (which is the cost of a solid LED lightbar), except if your dept'd truck committee is comprised of a lot of old school guys that haven't moved on to LEDs yet. Don't get me wrong; I love the MX7K, but i wouldnt pay much more than $200 when everything is said and done, b/c if you want one that badly, all you need is a functioning, used MX7K; some WD40; and a new lens kit (which won't be too hard to get, since several of their current lightbars use the same shells/domes that were previously used on the MX7K)

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Kevin K. said:
I still lament the demise of the XF2300; I really liked that bar, and I think it would have done very well equipped with the PriZm modules.

I didn't know they stopped making them...ugly as sin they were, but seemed to have decent output. And it looked like an STL bar to me. I saw one the other day on a wide load vehicle.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Fear not!! Code 3 sounded like it was a website/technical issue they were not aware of and the MX7K should be back on the site now. The MX7K lives on!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
IT LIVES!!

Although not as relevant as the various LED lightbars available today, the MX7K will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm curious about something else now: with the Code 360 still available, why don't C3 offer a version without Level 1 (upper dome)? Granted, it'll require flat tops to be produced for this purpose, but I think it'd be neat to see. In essence, you can still have a low profile bar equipped with two rotators and numerous LED X modules. Perhaps a project for GyroTech?

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
You have to remember the MX is 25 years old or there about. I started seeing them in 1988. While an amazing advancement in lightbar technology for the time, it is old old school.

So is the LP, which is somewhere around 30+ years old. Both are excellent bars, but as John M. pointed out, C3 cheaped out with the plastic crap rotators.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I think the MX shell still has a place, even if filled with LEDs. I doubt it will totally go away real soon.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
JohnMarcson said:
I think the MX shell still has a place, even if filled with LEDs. I doubt it will totally go away real soon.
I'm waiting for Code 3 to reclaim their place as the go-to brand for rotating lights... with rotating LEDs of course.

...IIRC we thought the XL5000 had been discontinued a year or two ago, but it's back on their page for fire apparatus.

Jeremy0966

Aug 12, 2012
Idaho
Kevin K. said:
Just got done browsing C3's website, and noticed that the MX 7000 is now absent from all divisions. It appears to me that it has been discontinued. Is there any official word on this?

[Broken External Image]:http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif...-sad-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-463.gif

Well that sucks. The MX7K was the first full size light bar i ever owned and still one of my all time faves. I almost cried in terminator 2 when all the new MX7K's got demolished during the Cyberdine/gattling gun scene. Code3 must have gotten the contract for that movie since all the cars are rocking MX7K's and the slick tops have dashlasers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o6CH4fBFo0

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Jeremy0966 said:
[Broken External Image]:http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif...-sad-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-463.gif

Well that sucks. The MX7K was the first full size light bar i ever owned and still one of my all time faves. I almost cried in terminator 2 when all the new MX7K's got demolished during the Cyberdine/gattling gun scene. Code3 must have gotten the contract for that movie since all the cars are rocking MX7K's and the slick tops have dashlasers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o6CH4fBFo0

I wouldn't worry

Code 3 Police > MX 7000

I just wish they still made them as pictured on their site.... with the old metal rotators.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Kevin K. said:
IT LIVES!!

Although not as relevant as the various LED lightbars available today, the MX7K will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm curious about something else now: with the Code 360 still available, why don't C3 offer a version without Level 1 (upper dome)? Granted, it'll require flat tops to be produced for this purpose, but I think it'd be neat to see. In essence, you can still have a low profile bar equipped with two rotators and numerous LED X modules. Perhaps a project for GyroTech?

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Even though the XL500 is on the site this will go away when stock is depleted. They no longer manufacture them. The MX still sells...often. That bar will be around for a bit...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RetLt2020

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.