FD Chief Suburban 2011 Outer Edge, Outer Edge Pillar

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Honestly... WAY TOO MUCH to the rear... And slightly overkill to the front... But thats my professional side... My whacker side thinks its AWESOME!!! LOL

gfpd26

May 21, 2010
Greenville, IL
TritonBoulder47 said:
Honestly... WAY TOO MUCH to the rear... And slightly overkill to the front... But thats my professional side... My whacker side thinks its AWESOME!!! LOL

+1 on the rear lighting.... No a fan of it at all.. WAY TOO MUCH going on.

firemedic12

Apr 7, 2011
TX
I would have to agree way to much lighting all around...dont understand why you need that much lighting on one vehicle....ambulances dont even have that much lighting

cory y

May 21, 2010
Not only is that a STUPID amount of rear lighting, but all those Interior lights on int he rear hatch are gonna be KILLER when youre trying to actually USE the rear compartment. I hope it has a kill switch for the rear lights somewhere

and the Video is annoying a full minute of pointless crap at the beginning of the vid....

May 27, 2010
Lebanon PA
I can't get past the cost. Congratulations if they have that much funding. I hope their crews have top notch training.

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
I have to protect one of our neighboring departments... I have to disagree with all of you who say it is overkill with all these lights. If you are not familiar with the Croton Falls Fire District, about 40% of their calls is on I-684, a limited access high speed higway. There have been incidents in the past with NYSP troopers and other emergency apparatus being hit by stupid drivers. The Instaler, Specialty Warniung Systems or Danbury, CT, is very profesional and certainly know what they are doing. Here is some more info on the install...

The Croton Falls Fire Department, in Westchester County New York, recently took delivery of their new Chief's truck, a 2011 Chevrolet Tahoe. As with many of today's first response vehicles, much time was invested to assure it could fulfill a multitude of capabilities.

One specific need was sufficient rear facing warning as the CFFD regularly responds up to I-684, a limited access, multi lane highway occupied by high speed, high volume traffic. As Chief's vehicles are typically the initial personnel to arrive on scene, and distracted, impatient drivers present a real danger to first and subsequent responders, the need for adequate rear warning was paramount.

As with most of the vehicles upfitted by SWS today, 2071 incorporates a 100% LED based warning system. Front facing components include a Whelen FX Freedom lightbar, two six head Dominators and two LINZ6s in the front grille with a Sound Off headlight flasher. Side warning is provided by M4s on each outer bumper corner, a four head Dominator Plus in each rear side cargo window and a Sound Off Intersector under each side view mirror. The rear is protected by a Whelen Outer Edge, Outer Pillar Edge, eight head Dominator Plus in the upper cargo window, two split color M4s on the cargo door and four LAW HideAway LEDs in the taillights. A CenCom system with a HOWLER low frequency siren system complete the overall warning package.

A custom built Command / Storage cabinet was installed in the rear cargo compartment which incorporates communications equipment, space for turnout & SCBA, four open storage compartments, adjustable shelving and slide out command drawer with marking whiteboard and clear overlay. Two additional four head Dominator Plus bars were installed on the sides of the cabinet to provide additional rear warning when the cargo door is raised. Rear vehicle area lighting for nighttime operations is provided by three LED compartment lights. Two dual lamp floods under the rear of the truck supplement the area work lights while also operating in conjunction with the OEM reverse lights.

The 24 inch Havis console contains the department and County radios, CenCom control head, storage box, side mounted armrests, dual cup holder, 12V power outlets and HOWLER controls. Vehicle graphics include white reflective striping, red safety chevron on the rear door, along with gold leaf lettering and department artwork on each front passenger door

Specialty Warning Systems extends it's thanks to the Croton Falls Fire Department for the confidence placed in us to provide their new Chief's vehicle. We look forward to working with them on future projects.

Source and Photos

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
firedude said:
I have to protect one of our neighboring departments... I have to disagree with all of you who say it is overkill with all these lights. If you are not familiar with the Croton Falls Fire District, about 40% of their calls is on I-684, a limited access high speed higway. There have been incidents in the past with NYSP troopers and other emergency apparatus being hit by stupid drivers. The Instaler, Specialty Warning Systems of Danbury, CT, is very profesional and certainly know what they are doing. Here is some more info on the install...

Source and Photos

Just my personal opinion, but if they run so many calls on the interstate, they should be driving something bigger - like a piece of fire apparatus (e.g., engine company, rescue squad or truck/tower). Something that can handle being whacked by a vehicle a bit better than a Suburban.

Again, my personal opinion.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
firedude said:
I have to protect one of our neighboring departments... I have to disagree with all of you who say it is overkill with all these lights. If you are not familiar with the Croton Falls Fire District, about 40% of their calls is on I-684, a limited access high speed higway. There have been incidents in the past with NYSP troopers and other emergency apparatus being hit by stupid drivers. The Instaler, Specialty Warniung Systems or Danbury, CT, is very profesional and certainly know what they are doing. Here is some more info on the install...

Source and Photos

With all due respect, you are wrong. They could run 40% of their calls on Daytona International Raceway during the Daytona 500 and all those interior Dominators would not add to their safety at all.

What does the the top hatch Dominator do that the lightbar AND outer edge don't do? On the front side, what does the Dominator in the top portion of the grill do that the one in the bottom portion does not do?

I get it, we all love getting a little excessive with lights, but don't try and justify it to anybody on here with any reason other than "we did it because we can".

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
If they wanted better protection with all those lights... fine... It's overkill and that's saying something if I say it... as people who know me know how much I like the blinkies...

However... you want to make it safer... slow down the patterns and don't do split heads... make the truck say, "I'm here slow down and don't hit me"... don't make it a UFO that'll attract every drunk driver in the state...

Just my 0.02.

Seth

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
sweet install... but I'd loose:

One of the front D6s

Front Linz6s

interior rear d4s & D6/8.

Change patterns on rear to slower patterns

do full lighthead or top to bottom for the M4s not side to side if you dont want to just fire the entire head at once.

Other then that I think it looks good.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
I can't help but think that safety comes from the vehicle operation and placement, not so much from the warning light package. If "don't hit me" was the message they wanted to send, there'd be a lot more amber, especially to the rear.

Last edited by a moderator:

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
Doug said:
Just my personal opinion, but if they run so many calls on the interstate, they should be driving something bigger - like a piece of fire apparatus (e.g., engine company, rescue squad or truck/tower). Something that can handle being whacked by a vehicle a bit better than a Suburban.

Again, my personal opinion.

I understand what you are saying but this is the chief's car not a fire truck. The chief of the department responds stright to the scene cause his truck is used for command and other things. So, this car is always first on scene and may not have any thing else to protect him. Also, people shouldn't assume that all of the light will be used, ie only using some lights at night.

ISU_Cyclone said:
With all due respect, you are wrong. They could run 40% of their calls on Daytona International Raceway during the Daytona 500 and all those interior Dominators would not add to their safety at all.

What does the the top hatch Dominator do that the lightbar AND outer edge don't do? On the front side, what does the Dominator in the top portion of the grill do that the one in the bottom portion does not do?

I get it, we all love getting a little excessive with lights, but don't try and justify it to anybody on here with any reason other than "we did it because we can".

Well I have to disagree but flashing lights do help protect fire apparatus. I know it doesn't work all the time but It does help to be seen and from a farther distance. I believe it has been proven that both lights and chevrons help to protect apparatus and firefighters. Now yes, I agree that there may be too much lights but like I said above, not all the lights may be used at once. For all I know, those dominators could have been saved from an old car and placed on this one (they are not the new dominator plus). Maybe he wanted a TA, IDK.

This is all my opinion

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I think if they slow down the dominator and M4 on the back it would be more effective. Fast and slow flashing is the best combo. In NY a lot of Depts Chiefs have First Responder vehicles. It's very important they be visible since they can be there solo for a couple of minutes.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
I think the Whelen catalog just threw up on your truck.. That is the prime example of New york volunteer firefighter whackerism..Its bright it flashes fast we gotta buy it and put it on before the next town does. Wayyyyyyyy over kill..

egriggs

Jun 1, 2010
Hamilton, NJ USA
Way too much!! With the amount of lighting they put on this one vehicle, they could have equipped two vehicles very nicely... In these tight budget time throughout the country and world for that matter, it kills me to see something like this...

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
I agree that the rear is overkill, i can't imagine approaching all of that day or night. Front isn't as bad. Certainly not a knock on the installer.

I can understand having the mindset of more is more when responding to highway calls, but I think a rear arrowboard would have been exponentially more effective and safe for responders and drivers. Simple and clear direction mounted high up. Granted a rear arrowboard isn't nearly as fun as those lights.

nycmed1c

Mar 8, 2011
nyc
No wonder the property taxes are ridiculous. You can outfit two chiefs cars with the amount of lights on this vehicle.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Problem solved! And it dident take an entire WHELEN catalog to get the job done!!

Down here TXDOT closes down entire highways with 1 UNIT yes 1 UNIT and all it has on it is one Federal Halogen highlighter mini bar and an arrow board and cones.....

arrow board pick up.jpg

arrow board tahoe.jpg

LawMan902

Mar 29, 2011
FL, USA
firedude said:
Well I have to disagree but flashing lights do help protect fire apparatus. I know it doesn't work all the time but It does help to be seen and from a farther distance. I believe it has been proven that both lights and chevrons help to protect apparatus and firefighters. Now yes, I agree that there may be too much lights but like I said above, not all the lights may be used at once. For all I know, those dominators could have been saved from an old car and placed on this one (they are not the new dominator plus). Maybe he wanted a TA, IDK.

This is all my opinion

I respect your opinion, however, it is a FACT that flashing lights on emergency vehicles have been proven to actually ATTRACT drivers, especially impaired drivers. Studies were done on a state level here in FL by the FL IPTM (Institute of Police Technology and Management), and then results were compared with independent studies done on a national level. It was proven that when people see flashing lights while driving, their natural reaction is to be curious and look to see what's going on (aka rubbernecking). The studies also showed that when people shift their focus in a different direction while driving, their hands tend to follow, making the vehicle drift in the direction they are looking (Don't think anyone here can say they have NEVER looked over to clear a lane for a lane change, and noticed themselves drifting toward that lane), toward those cool flashing lights. Now while this happens with sober drivers, it is typically very slight, and quickly corrected, however, in cases of impaired drivers, the effect is more exagerated, causing the driver to drift toward the lights, and in some cases the drivers depth perception, and/or motor skills, and/or reaction time is impaired enough that it may cause the impaired driver to collide with the emergency vehicle.

Not to mention a vehicle with too much rear lighting could possibly blind a motorist approaching from the rear, making them unable to see any other dangers or roadway ubstructions...

Jun 4, 2010
new york
Needs LIN3's on the running boards and HAW LED's in the fog lights.. I can't believe they left that real estate open like that. They're normally the first to be filled up.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I don't know about how much they attract drivers, but I, unlike others apparently, value my sense of sight. I like being able to see where I'm going. With all those lights flashing, especially at night, anyone standing nearby and for about a hundred yards past it, such as a police officer in his dark uniform, is in immense danger because the lights are so bright that all I can see is a flickering glow when instead I need to be able to see things like, for example, people, or the edge of the road. Is that too much to ask? Would you prefer that I just stop a quarter mile away before I'm close enough that it's so bright that it actually hurts, and just wait til they drive off before I continue?

Less is more.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
so I read the comments before watching the video and I was planning on commenting "all you haters out there" lol "dont be jealous" but geez.... glad I watched the video first lol

Its just not set-up well imo... couldve been done better. I would have like to have seen just a outer edge in amber as a Traffic Director and a Pillor Edge in Red with some Hideaways or M4's by the tag, take the modules out of the real of that freedom and that would have still been ALOT of light but effective I think.

LED138

May 31, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
That is a rediculous amount of lights! Totally unnecessary! I'm with the other posters on this one, the excuse of the highway is just a smoke and mirrors justification. ALOT of us on here run on multi-lane highways. Unless they are working on the Autobahn, I wouldnt call it high-speed. Also Im sure most of us here pretty much have the chief as the first on scene. If the highway is that unsafe to be operating on that you need that much lighting then maybe you should form a response task force and you all respond and arrive together so you can safely shut down the highway. I wouldnt want to be operating command from the rear with all of that flashing. Invest in some refective striping, sign boards, cones and flashing arrows... Thats my opinion.

BTW, those pillar lights are just downright ugly!!! The Vertex is the proverbial cherry on the ugly cake!!

-Steve

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
Our Chief has a TLF only on his Expedition for rear warning and we have a 4 mile stretch on Interstate 94 between Milwaukee and Madison. Granted, he doesn't block lanes or anything like that.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
That video is annoying, I was able to mute the frog being choked music, and built up a buffer to skip the boring parts and get to the point. The vehicle is just over killed over kill. The highway excuse does not fly. I've shut down 3 lane major interstates on blind curves in the rain with a slick top 93 Taurus PPV that had an arrow stick in the back window, 2 par 36 strobes on top of the arrow and HAW strobes in the reverse lights, flares and 6 cones. My self and a patrol sgt. shut down a 4 lane interstate with just 2 cars running arrow sticks, hazard lamps, flares and cones. There is such a thing as too much light, and then there is that vehicle. I keep hearing circus music when I watch that thing blink. Sorry.

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
CHP seems to get by just fine with Hazard Lights on the LA Freeways which seem to be at least a little on the busy side.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
I'm not here to critique the install, but that's got to be at least $10,000 in lights alone. The command cabinet looks like a Mobile Fleet cabinet, and those run about $2500 for basic units.

The Dominators are creative when mounted internally like that.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
I kind of sit on both sides of the fence on this one.

#1 being I know I-684 and the department's coverage area well (I'm actually going to be driving through there on Friday). For those of you who do not know I-684, it is one of the poorest maintained, poorest designed, tightest turning, and crowded highways I have ever driven on (I do a lot of driving across the country). Not to mention you have a lot of "hot shit" drivers who all drive atleast 80 on a 55mph? (I think) highway. I can see the need for increased rear lighting.

#2, the way the rear lighting was utilized was poor. Too much going on too close together on too fast of a pattern. But then again you have to remember, it's what the customer wants and that doesn't always mean the customer is right.

Doug, it is very common for chief's to be up on the highways in their vehicles in this area. Atleast CT is getting better about it and has the CHAMP (CT Highway Assistance Motorist Patrol) program that drives around with full arrow board and message signs to help protect emergency responders.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
DaveCN5 said:
Doug, it is very common for chief's to be up on the highways in their vehicles in this area. Atleast CT is getting better about it and has the CHAMP (CT Highway Assistance Motorist Patrol) program that drives around with full arrow board and message signs to help protect emergency responders.

Dave, I understand that the command staff often respond in their departmental vehicles. My point is that the lights are a tool (in this case, I believe they're poorly used), and that the scene safety comes from a combination of proper positioning, adequate (not excessive, but also not poorly) lighting, and other factors. How many of these responders, for example, wear the mandated reflective PPE (if I recall correctly, the vests are mandated by DOT if federal funds are used in construction and/or maintenance of the roadway)?

Seems to me there are a LOT more factors than just how many flashing lights can fit onto a vehicle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Stoic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.