Federal 19 Propello-Ray in blue glass

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
This is a Federal Model 19 I have had in my collection for some time that I just now got around to rehabbing. It had some dents that needed to be straightened and it needed a good polish. It has a very rare blue glass lens. It is tagged 6V, but it has a 12v 4015 bulb in it, so I'm running it on 12v and it does fine.
I'm including a couple of photos of another Propello-Ray I'm in process on. The two have quite different internal mechanisms.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 11

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Nice... you know a video will be required. I just purchased a 12 volt step down to 6v/10amps off ebay for $16 bucks. 6 volt motors will run on 12 although at a faster pace and will overheat quicker. Not much danger for 15 to 30 second runs. I have a 6v siren that runs great at 12 v but screams.. I put this stepdown on it and it purrs just right and much safer. It is worth having one around for the 6 volt items. It can be wired directly in or alligator clipped in. I have a 12v to 6v/3amp I use to test small motors with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231877291462?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Reactions: Deco

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
Nice... you know a video will be required. I just purchased a 12 volt step down to 6v/10amps off ebay for $16 bucks. 6 volt motors will run on 12 although at a faster pace and will overheat quicker. Not much danger for 15 to 30 second runs. I have a 6v siren that runs great at 12 v but screams.. I put this stepdown on it and it purrs just right and much safer. It is worth having one around for the 6 volt items. It can be wired directly in or alligator clipped in. I have a 12v to 6v/3amp I use to test small motors with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231877291462?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I just bought one. That answers whether I should buy a 6v or 12v bulb for the second Model 19 I'm working on.

My 78B w/ 6v motor was restored by John Dorgan (RIP). He fabricated this bracket and voltage reducer to keep it running faithfully for many years on 12v. Also, he installed a 4415 Fog bulb that gives a snappy flash from oblique angles and a pulsating beam from head on. Perhaps his son, Joe, can help you out.
image.jpeg

Reactions: Crownfire

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
It doesn't matter if he has parts or not, he isn't worth dealing with unless you want to be lied to and stolen from. And I will say something. Silence only allows more people to be scammed and robbed repeatedly. He has made multiple enemies here, the Professional Car Society, and SPAAMFA due to his fraudulent ways.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
For those who don't know, John Dorgan was one of, if not the main, figures in the light/siren restoration world. John Dorgan passed away on May 13, 2012. Following John's death this community and several other similar ones tried to reach out to, accommodate, include and work with John's son, Joe Dorgan. Joe was dealing with the loss of his father, so many of us tolerated some behavior we probably would not have otherwise. Joe cut ties with this community after a few exchanges with people, myself included, that made it clear we had revoked the "time of crisis free pass" so to speak. There is an open invitation to Joe to return if he treats others fairly, honestly and respectfully.

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
Thanks John. John Dorgan was THE Gold Standard when it came to restoring antique beacons and sirens. I bought and sold to/from him several times with zero issues. His death left a hole in that/this community that no one yet has been able to justifiably fill. I can't find anyone willing to restore my Q2B that has given me much confidence. :(

As for Joe, he has stolen items from me and I'm sure others that were sent to him for repair or restoration. I currently have an active complaint open with the Arizona Attorney General's Office due to his theft of my items. Tucson Police wouldn't touch him. Not really sure what if any action the AAGs office will take, but at least his dishonest business practices are on record now.
Crownfire, sorry your Propello-Ray thread devolved into a Joe Dorgan complaint thread. Just trying to prevent others from going through what I have.

Reactions: ERIC6913

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Crownfire, sorry your Propello-Ray thread devolved into a Joe Dorgan complaint thread. Just trying to prevent others from going through what I have.

I think this was a necessary thread jack. Although, we should probably have a feedback thread open for Joe honestly.

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
I don't mind the hijack. I have personally lost irreplaceable items to Joe- whether through loss or theft I don't know; I have never received several items I paid for. I have endured years of broken promises and outright lies. Maybe I am naive, but I don't know what I could gain from bashing him. I am hoping for a turn of events that would get me my stuff back, a refund of the money I sent him, and/or the receipt of items that were promised as restitution. I do try to (nicely) warn people away when the opportunity presents. Perhaps it is time that an "official" warning be posted somewhere in this forum so that we aren't relying on word of mouth to protect our community from a known bad actor.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Sad to hear that Joe has treated the light/siren community badly here. I've never seen him chime in here ever with helpful advice or comments on vintage stuff. Guess we know now, right? Such a shame.....:(

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
I think everyone that has had money or product stolen by him should file complaints with the Arizona Attorney General's office like I did. Maybe if enough people came forward and made complaints, they would go after him with criminal charges. I already know there's enough people to band together and start a class action law/civil suit to get his attention. Don't even think I'm kidding.

Reactions: toyotafan
I have in my collection two items restored by John, both with personal connections and very important to me. In fact my 78B was shipped back to me just before his passing. We spoke on the phone about the condition of the unit I sent him and what he would do to restore it--including replacing the stator the shipper had broken...at no charge. Sirenman was a true craftsman and gentleman.

As Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like. " What he didn't say is you have to get to know him first. I have not had any experiences with Joe and I am sorry to hear he has created this reputation. A sad development for the Dorgan name and those who have suffered losses to Joe. Thank you, John, Crownfire and Lightbarnut for speaking out...I had no idea, as I am sure, many many others who revered John's work. This is important to know, as is you invitation to him, John.

Heavyrescue

Sep 7, 2016
Texas
I'm still out over $4500 from him since June 2014. After dealing with his father over the years, I thought his check would be good. NOT
I have an active case against him in the Pima County Attorneys Office.
Just saw his "apology" in a current SPAAMFAA publication: "I'm back on track and re-committed to customer care" Joe Dorgan 7381 E. Stella Road, Tucson AZ 85730 520-790-0196

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
When Joe saw my restorations I have posted over the last couple years he thought I was trying to compete with him and put him out of business. He didn't realize I sell none of my restorations and they're all for my collection. I met John Dorgan's wife on the other hand at the funeral and she was very helpful and heart warming and even invited me to their house to hang out and take a tour of the house with workshop out back! I'm not sure why Joe has acted and done some of the things he has in the last couple years. He seemed somewhat "unstable with life", not sure what he had going on. That has no excuse for his actions over the last couple years though. I would tread lightly when sending him money or items to be restored. I his time line is about 6-12 months if you're even lucky to receive anything.

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
Just saw his "apology" in a current SPAAMFAA publication: "I'm back on track and re-committed to customer care" Joe Dorgan 7381 E. Stella Road, Tucson AZ 85730 520-790-0196
The sirenman.com website is currently inactive. I'd be interested in reading his statement in the SPAAMFAA publication. Can you copy and paste it?

Heavyrescue

Sep 7, 2016
Texas
Dorgan Apology.jpg
Current issue of the Silver Trumpet
Free advertising and it looks like SPAMMFAA is endorsing him, little do they know.......

There is another JOE DORGAN thread on this website with even more info
Dorgan Apology.jpg

toyotafan

Jun 24, 2012
Indiana
I was in his garage last february ( 7 months ago) and he showed me around. Boy he had alot of stuff in there. Probaly everything that belonged to all you. He just did no have any drive to do anything. He showed me how he restores lights and sirens. It was then I sent him $400 of parts he needed to fix other peoples stuff he told me.
Oh well, I guess I was the sucker.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
So Joe managed to run the website into the ground too? Wow.....now nobody can use it as a reference for a resto project, or see the unique collection John amassed, ever again...

Reactions: Tony P

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
now nobody can use it as a reference for a resto project, or see the unique collection John amassed, ever again...

Fortunately, the Internet Archive's 'Wayback Machine' indexed the site on 140 separate occasions. The most recent was March 23rd of this year. The site, as it appeared on that day, can be seen here: http://web.archive.org/web/20160323235138/http://www.sirenman.com/

It appears, because the site was so simple in its design, that every photo was saved and can be viewed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.