Federal Q Siren!

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
I just got a freakin Q! i want to add it to my tahoe and was wondering what i need to do to ensure proper installation and function. I know that people have done it before, so i am looking to those guys for help.

thanks very much,

Chris

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
you bet your damn ass i will!!

my main question is, do i need to do anything special to protect my truck or the siren? i plan on running the 4ga wire that it needs. but will this kill my truck when i use it?

i see youtube videos of this on a jeep not running and the thing is peaking alot. is that safe? i know its twelve volts but can my truck handle it? i have a 96 tahoe 5.7L

fire1

Jun 5, 2011
Michigan
rohmers said:
you bet your damn ass i will!!

my main question is, do i need to do anything special to protect my truck or the siren? i plan on running the 4ga wire that it needs. but will this kill my truck when i use it?

i see youtube videos of this on a jeep not running and the thing is peaking alot. is that safe? i know its twelve volts but can my truck handle it? i have a 96 tahoe 5.7L

You have a 140 amp stock alternator. At night with all your lights on, it will max out your alt, put a high output on. Something like this.

HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR ASTRO BLAZER TAHOE S10 EXPRESS 4.3 5.0 5.7 6.5 7.4 220AMP | eBay

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
i am looking for them now!

i was also thinking that i could use a Ford Starter Solenoid to activate this beast. that way i can run a normal wire from the pedal to the solenoid then the 4ga to the Q. anything else like that i should think about?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Even with the high-output alternator, it wouldn't hurt to add a second battery, if you have room for it. Many years ago that's what we did with our 1965 Olds VistaCruiser ambulance. It came with a 100-amp alternator. For emergency equipment we had a roof-mounted Q flanked by four DoRay lollipop lights (two on each side of the Q), a Federal 174 beacon back over the VistaCruiser "hump", red and blue spotlights and red and blue grille lights. We took it to the local Sears and told them that we wanted two of their best Die-Hard batteries and wanted it hooked up so that if we turned on all that stuff, including the headlights on bright and then "romped" on the Q, we didn't want any of the lights dimming down. They used two big Die-Hard truck batteries on the wagon. We had used the kind of solenoid described above. The solenoid was a grounding-type. It had a single terminal on top that went to the foot button and from the foot button to ground. So what we did was to run the large 4 ga. cable from the solenoid to the number two battery, as well as the wiring for the lights. Then they ran the "hot" cable from Battery 2 to the hot side of Battery 1. Worked just fine. We could light that wagon up and run the Q, along with the Federal Interceptor with grille mounted speaker, and none of the lights would dim. Worked like a charm.

As to the Ford solenoid you suggested: they will work, but they're not the grounded type. On it there are two terminals on top. The left terminal goes to your foot button and from the button to hot. The right terminal you can use a small wire to go from it to the large right terminal on the side that will go with the large 4 ga. cable that goes to the battery. Your Q cable will go to the left side of the solenoid, regardless of which solenoid you use. By the way: you do have a brake on that thing, don't you? You didn't mention it.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Where/how do you plan on mounting it?

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
rohmers said:
gonna custom make a bracket between the front rails under the radiator.

You'll end up tearing it off or damaging it eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
rohmers said:
Thanks for the vote in confidence.

Just being realistic. Find another place if you don't wanna tear it up.

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
Go for it. If you need help with the wiring diagrams or specs shoot me a message. As far as the mounting, do what you gotta do.

Q's are cool. I have been a firefighter for almost 30 years, 3rd generation. I grew up riding in my grandfather's Cheif car, which had a Q, two Federal Beacons, and two BIG ASS Motorola tube-type radios. I remember responding at night and when he would hit the Q the lights would stop turning, the headlights would go dim, and the radios would squelch. (It was a Ford Station wagon)

To this day i love the sound of a Q.

anything else is just a "PEANUT WHISTLE". Let's see how many people here know where those words came from.

RIP John.

Bob

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Skip Goulet said:
Even with the high-output alternator, it wouldn't hurt to add a second battery, if you have room for it. Many years ago that's what we did with our 1965 Olds VistaCruiser ambulance. It came with a 100-amp alternator. For emergency equipment we had a roof-mounted Q flanked by four DoRay lollipop lights (two on each side of the Q), a Federal 174 beacon back over the VistaCruiser "hump", red and blue spotlights and red and blue grille lights. We took it to the local Sears and told them that we wanted two of their best Die-Hard batteries and wanted it hooked up so that if we turned on all that stuff, including the headlights on bright and then "romped" on the Q, we didn't want any of the lights dimming down. They used two big Die-Hard truck batteries on the wagon. We had used the kind of solenoid described above. The solenoid was a grounding-type. It had a single terminal on top that went to the foot button and from the foot button to ground. So what we did was to run the large 4 ga. cable from the solenoid to the number two battery, as well as the wiring for the lights. Then they ran the "hot" cable from Battery 2 to the hot side of Battery 1. Worked just fine. We could light that wagon up and run the Q, along with the Federal Interceptor with grille mounted speaker, and none of the lights would dim. Worked like a charm.

As to the Ford solenoid you suggested: they will work, but they're not the grounded type. On it there are two terminals on top. The left terminal goes to your foot button and from the button to hot. The right terminal you can use a small wire to go from it to the large right terminal on the side that will go with the large 4 ga. cable that goes to the battery. Your Q cable will go to the left side of the solenoid, regardless of which solenoid you use. By the way: you do have a brake on that thing, don't you? You didn't mention it.

Would have liked to see this puppy responding full bore!! Do you have any photos?

Todd:D

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
I know you already have the Q but if I were you I would just go with a federal 28. It's smaller, no fancy chrome to ruin and I believe it uses a little less power. And it sounds just as good. Then put the Q on display or something.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
WS224 said:
You'll end up tearing it off or damaging it eventually.

If you're gonna mount it like that...for Pet's sake, use a decent bracing bracket or the torque and vibration will tear it up or mess up your bumper or radiator area!

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Skip Goulet said:
If you're gonna mount it like that...for Pet's sake, use a decent bracing bracket or the torque and vibration will tear it up or mess up your bumper or radiator area!

My wife has a Tahoe. Maybe I am envisioning what he intends incorrectly, but a 10" siren hanging under the radiator is going to be inches off the ground.

I know a piece of debris in the road completely ripped apart her lower engine protection shroud. IMO, the placement and entire project is not a good idea. Q's are great. I love them........on fire apparatus, not Tahoes.

stuporduck09

Jun 6, 2010
Jax Fl
I'D go with a timberwolf....it has a nice 28 amp draw..Works 4-me..or i would go with a off road heavy duty front bumper..CHROME IS COOL...

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
WS224 said:
My wife has a Tahoe. Maybe I am envisioning what he intends incorrectly, but a 10" siren hanging under the radiator is going to be inches off the ground.

^This^ The Siren will be destroyed when a little piece of debris is kicked up from the vehicle infront of you and goes into the rotor. Im not sure youve ever had a rock from the vehicle infront of you fly up and crack your windshield, but its not pretty.

Im all for you using it on your Tahoe But you really should find a better place. 96-98 (99,00 obs) trucks, suburbans, and tahoes all have plenty of room under the hood for extra stuff. I had a 98 silverado 5.7 and had room for dual batteries, 100w bell style siren speaker, and still plenty of room to add items and still get at my spark plugs with ease.

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
i hear AND understand that comments about the torque and stuff. i have a body shop guy that can weld any bracket in place. i was thinking bolt and weld to the frame rails and use some thick stuff. i mean like 1 inch steel.

i did look at putting it in the engine bay but could find a spot that i thought would be strong enough to hold the Q when activated.

i know that Ford Dealer mounted a Q to his suburaban under the hood but it was an older truck and more metal and frame under the hood to mount to.

i am not set on any one design at this time, but this is the best i have at the moment.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
rohmers said:
i hear AND understand that comments about the torque and stuff. i have a body shop guy that can weld any bracket in place. i was thinking bolt and weld to the frame rails and use some thick stuff. i mean like 1 inch steel.

i did look at putting it in the engine bay but could find a spot that i thought would be strong enough to hold the Q when activated.

i know that Ford Dealer mounted a Q to his suburaban under the hood but it was an older truck and more metal and frame under the hood to mount to.

i am not set on any one design at this time, but this is the best i have at the moment.

Under the hood, front left corner- Im assuming your tahoe has a "Storage" box there? Or a spare battery tray? If you arent using that space for anything important, I would build a bracket for that spot. Its over the fender but you could attach to the frame and core support with ease. that would be strong enough to hold in place while in use, and keep it in a safer area. Not to mention shorter cables...

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
ryan81986 said:
I know you already have the Q but if I were you I would just go with a federal 28. It's smaller, no fancy chrome to ruin and I believe it uses a little less power. And it sounds just as good. Then put the Q on display or something.

Actually, the Q and 28 used the same motors, with the exception of some of the special-build 28s that had small motors for close-quarters mounting, i.e. type spaces behind grilles, etc. Now that might be a good siren for the Tahoe, because the 28s was a bit lighter-weight than the regular model. I had one that I traded to a PCS member years ago, and it was nice, and actually had a slightly better roll than the average 28.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
rohmers said:

How much space do you have between the bumper and the radiator on the Tahoe? I've seen both Qs and the B&M Super Chiefs mounted into the front of the bumper. It's somewhat like the flush-mount sirens you see mounted into the front of some fire trucks. Go to B&M Siren Mfg, home of Super-Chief and Siro-Drift Sirens and you can see some of what they offer. If you can, get their phone number off the website and give them a call. Talk to Kevin O'Connell who owns B&M and he can give you better pointers on how to mount that Q on the Tahoe. Even though Kevin owns B&M and they compete with Federal, Kevin does a lot of Federal's repair work, so I think he'd be the one to talk to. And he's a very good businessman and will treat you right and put you in the right direction---not just to try to sell you something you don't need or can't use.

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
i am now considering selling the Q or trading it for a E-Q2B. I would want the same sound just cheaper and easier to accomplish.

anyone interseted let me know. i will be posting in the the new classifieds.

thanks so much for everyones input thus far.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
rohmers said:
i am now considering selling the Q or trading it for a E-Q2B. I would want the same sound just cheaper and easier to accomplish.

Just my opinion, which happens to be the same of many others, is that you won't get the exact same sound. I can always tell the difference between the two. We run the E Q2B on one of our squads and a real Q on the ladder. Big difference in how they sound. Often imitated, never duplicated, even when FS is the one duplicating. Just something to ponder if you truly want the Q sound.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
rohmers said:

anyone interseted let me know. i will be posting in the the new classifieds.

thanks so much for everyones input thus far.

You might give some of us a chance here first before you post on the classifieds. Any idea what you want? Does this siren have the rear housing? From the way you've wanted to mount it, I assumed not. thanks.

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
Skip Goulet said:
You might give some of us a chance here first before you post on the classifieds. Any idea what you want? Does this siren have the rear housing? From the way you've wanted to mount it, I assumed not. thanks.

It does have al the metal. Its just not.perfect. big dent on rear and the grille looks dimpled. I have no problem selling it to someone that has posted in this thread.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
rohmers said:
It does have al the metal. Its just not.perfect. big dent on rear and the grille looks dimpled. I have no problem selling it to someone that has posted in this thread.

That's fine! Do you have any idea what you want for it?

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
I have no idea what it would be worth. I always think that these should cost $500. I know a great shape Q will sell for $800-$1000

rohmers

May 24, 2010
MA
OK a few things:

First I would sell this thing for $300 plus shipping. which leads me to my next issue.... shipping

How would i ship one of these? how have others done it?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Quentin said:
Bolt it to 3/4 MDF or something strong cut to the size of the box. Fill with Peanuts or stuffing. Mark which side is up. DO NOT PUT A LIGHTBAR DOME OVER IT, or it will be smashed!
:D

I agree with Quentin. Make sure its got plenty of room for the packing peanuts to fill around it, I would not risk it shifting in the box. I haven't had a problem YET, but its well known that shippers are pretty hard on our stuff!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.