FedSig SS200 (mini smartsiren) Question

nyyanx18

Jan 13, 2011
New Jersey, USA
I just purchased the SS200 (have not received it yet). I am kind of a newbie when it comes to this stuff, but I looked through the instruction manual online and from what I can tell, when you move the slide switch to position 3, the wail tone automatically comes on. Anyone know if there is a way to deactivate the siren from coming on automatically? It is a "non-programmable" siren, so does that mean it cannot be changed? I am only "legally" allowed to use the Horn, but would like to use the slide switch for different light settings (front only, back only, all). If I don't want the siren to come on automatically, am I only limited to slide positions 1 and 2?

Here's a link to the install manual: http://www.fedsig.com/docs/255370.pdf

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
You can program these units. The brain box is identical to a ss-2000. All you do is get a hold of a regular ss-2000 control head and program the siren like normal, then plug the mini head back in and voila!

nyyanx18

Jan 13, 2011
New Jersey, USA
MPD 818 said:
You can program these units. The brain box is identical to a ss-2000. All you do is get a hold of a regular ss-2000 control head and program the siren like normal, then plug the mini head back in and voila!

So would I be able to add the phaser tone to an Aux button?

Have you done this with the SS200?

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
nyyanx18 said:
So would I be able to add the phaser tone to an Aux button?
Have you done this with the SS200?

There is no hyperyelp on the ss200 which is what FedSig calls it instead of a phaser. There is also no Hi Lo tone on the ss200.

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
chono said:
There is no hyperyelp on the ss200 which is what FedSig calls it instead of a phaser. There is also no Hi Lo tone on the ss200.

Not only is that wicked stupid but why would they do that? Sometimes I just don't underdstand people

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
chono said:

Actually Federal Signal calls its "Priority"... ;)

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Simplified control head. Looks like a siren designed for undercover cops and volunteer firefighters.

BigDogg795

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
MPD 818 said:

So you can actually program it to only have manual AH and manual Wail w/o other tones?

Rly? :eek:

May 22, 2010
New York City
BigDogg795 said:
So you can actually program it to only have manual AH and manual Wail w/o other tones?

Rly? :eek:

i tried messing around with mine today, with a full size control head, i got some programming right.......but not exactly, ran out of time, had to go on patrol, i will try maybe this weekend again

May 22, 2010
New York City
and dont forget the PA300 nypd model, peak and hold on manual like a ss2000 !!!

still a few in service in school safety and traffic cars,but pretty much phazed out !

NCFD43

Oct 18, 2010
Northeast Ohio
911 said:
and dont forget the PA300 nypd model, peak and hold on manual like a ss2000 !!!

still a few in service in school safety and traffic cars,but pretty much phazed out !

You can use switches inside of newer PA300's to get that feature, if i remember correctly.

nyyanx18

Jan 13, 2011
New Jersey, USA
911 said:
i tried messing around with mine today, with a full size control head, i got some programming right.......but not exactly, ran out of time, had to go on patrol, i will try maybe this weekend again

what kind of programming were you able to get?

May 22, 2010
New York City
BigDogg795 said:
Still waiting for that vid my friend! :D

my last 3 units are gone !!! a hatzolah guy bought them !!!

there was no time to take a video !!! he paid good $$$ for them

on the ss200, i kept getting errors, keys werent matching up...... i will try again next week when i get some time

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
911 said:
my last 3 units are gone !!! a hatzolah guy bought them !!!
there was no time to take a video !!! he paid good $$$ for them

on the ss200, i kept getting errors, keys werent matching up...... i will try again next week when i get some time
On the ss200 you cannot change the top 3 buttons which are siren functions. Now you can go under the horn ring option and change that around a little, of course that requires that you hook the horn ring up. The bottom 3 buttons are simply activating the aux relays.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
If you're that concerned about disabling the siren, buy a SS2000 amp and use the SS200 head with it.

The SS200 amp is limited on programming.

Priority/Hyperyelp is not available in any capacity, nor is moving tones around. The top 3 buttons are for the siren only, nothing else.

nyyanx18

Jan 13, 2011
New Jersey, USA
rwo978 said:
If you're that concerned about disabling the siren, buy a SS2000 amp and use the SS200 head with it.

The SS200 amp is limited on programming.

Priority/Hyperyelp is not available in any capacity, nor is moving tones around. The top 3 buttons are for the siren only, nothing else.

I thought they had the same amp and the only difference was the control head?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Not sure if they're the same internally. However, I believe there's a pic on FedSig's site that shows an SS200 amp and it says 'SS200' on the amp. I know I've seen the pic somewhere, just can't remember where. That would lead me to believe they're different.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
rwo978 said:
Not sure if they're the same internally. However, I believe there's a pic on FedSig's site that shows an SS200 amp and it says 'SS200' on the amp. I know I've seen the pic somewhere, just can't remember where. That would lead me to believe they're different.

They are the same amp just labeled differently. You can use an ss200 control head on a regular ss2000, and vice versa.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
MPD 818 said:
They are the same amp just labeled differently. You can use an ss200 control head on a regular ss2000, and vice versa.

Yes, you can use each head on each amp and they work correctly for the most part. I did that with an standard SM amp and the micro head, sold the setup months ago. I just don't know if the amps are 100% EXACTLY the same.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
rwo978 said:
Yes, you can use each head on each amp and they work correctly for the most part. I did that with an standard SM amp and the micro head, sold the setup months ago. I just don't know if the amps are 100% EXACTLY the same.

I am 99% sure they are, although knowing federal one has a special capacitor in it somewhere that is made on mars that the other does not have.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
If any of ya'll have one you want to get rid of, hit me up!

oeuro5

Feb 6, 2012
Connecticut
I believe that siren tones can be only enabled when slider switch is in position # 3. Can someone confirm that? I would hate to spend $400 bucks on a nice unit like SS-200 and not be able to sound off Air Horn or a quick Wail when slider switch is in Off position. Sometimes I like to use AH instead of a regular vehicle horn and remain stealthy at the same time. I don't necessarily want to light up my whole vehicle to produce an audible. SS-200 owners please advise...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 7, 2011
New England
oeuro5 said:
I believe that siren tones can be only enabled when slider switch is in position # 3. Can someone confirm that? I would hate to spend $400 bucks on a nice unit like SS-200 and not be able to sound off Air Horn or a quick Wail when slider switch is in position # 1. Sometimes I like to use AH instead of a regular vehicle horn and remain stealthy at the same time. I don't necessarily want to light up my whole vehicle to produce an audible. SS-200 owners please advise...

The air horn is operable whether lights are activated or not. however you are correct in assuming the SS must be in position 3 for the siren tones to be enabled.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.