Feniex 4200 Siren/Light Controller WOW!

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
EMT-BLS said:
Oh, it's most definitely a gimmick. But what's important to me is the innovation. It's a cool idea. Personally, my innovation would've been a remote keypad, eliminating one of the three billion cables the installers need to run. And if the officer wants to place the keypad elsewhere, or take it with him on a traffic stop, no problem.

Isn't the controller supposed to be wireless, or am I mistaken? My rep did tell me today the brain for the unit is so small that it can fit in a glove box..

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
EMT-BLS said:
Oh, it's most definitely a gimmick. But what's important to me is the innovation.

So, gimmicky innovations.... like all the crappy knightrider, split fail, and pinwheel flash patterns on LED lightheads/sticks, but most knowledgable people still use the ole' standard, slo-n-steady patterns?? :thumbsup:

Seems like a gigantic waste of money and resources on Fenix's part for a toy dealers and demonstrators will use, but has no real world application, like crappy split-fail flash patterns. :rolleyes:

Not to mention, another thing to fail on Fenix's already stellar line of controllers!!! :thumbsup: :hopeless: :duh:

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
tom said:
Isn't the controller supposed to be wireless, or am I mistaken? My rep did tell me today the brain for the unit is so small that it can fit in a glove box..

That's not what I was told...I was under the impression that the brain and keypad were connected, and that the mobile app communicated with the keypad. I could be wrong, though. The size of the amp doesn't impress me, seeing as we siren users will have to buy a add-on, plug-in box for siren tones. Which I think is ghey.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
There is also not a controller out there that has this many fully programmable outputs. Most have siren only keys. Some can't be timers or momentary etc.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
rwo978 said:
So, gimmicky innovations.... like all the crappy knightrider, split fail, and pinwheel flash patterns on LED lightheads/sticks, but most knowledgable people still use the ole' standard, slo-n-steady patterns??

It's a gimmick, but a use-able gimmick. I wouldn't mind being able to shut my HAWs if the call was going longer than I thought it would. Splitfail, while a bad idea, was taken by storm by the whacker population, that love the extra blinking. Only us eLightbars people know the effectiveness is greatly diminished, they think "The more it blinks, the better my warning."

squeeeg

Jul 5, 2011
Michigan
I might have missed this in another response but I think the point of the app isn't so you can control it from your phone. Many agencies are getting ipads in the car instead of laptops. They take up less space require less power and are a lot more portable when they need to be. This app will allow those departments to run the systems that way and save space on a large panel in the center of the vehicle.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
squeeeg said:
I might have missed this in another response but I think the point of the app isn't so you can control it from your phone. Many agencies are getting ipads in the car instead of laptops. They take up less space require less power and are a lot more portable when they need to be. This app will allow those departments to run the systems that way and save space on a large panel in the center of the vehicle.

however, as with the original SS2000 touchscreen software, there IS and should ALWAYS be the standard control head installed for backup. It should never be fully eliminated, as computers, smart phones and tablets, always seem to lock up and fail at the most inopertune time.

squeeeg

Jul 5, 2011
Michigan
rwo978 said:
however, as with the original SS2000 touchscreen software, there IS and should ALWAYS be the standard control head installed for backup. It should never be fully eliminated, as computers, smart phones and tablets, always seem to lock up and fail at the most inopertune time.

Very true

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Eric1249 said:
Now that would be cool. Man, I remember when strobes were cool. How things have changed

First off, strobes are still cool!

Now, as much as I love my FS SS2000, there's nothing quite like the rotary knob to let you know for sure that the next move you make will change the tone and not activate your takedowns... I don't see using a touchscreen device as PRIMARY control to be a good idea but as a secondary while stopped it has some interesting potential applicaitons. As for it's functionality, I LOVE that every button is programmable to do whatever you want. That's been my one peeve with my SmartSiren forever.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
foxtrot5 said:
As for it's functionality, I LOVE that every button is programmable to do whatever you want. That's been my one peeve with my SmartSiren forever.

That's been a major thing people were telling Feniex they wanted.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
SireLite said:
Is there safeguards to stop the public from using the app on their phone and turning on or off lights on a parked up/patrolling vehicle?

The bluetooth functional will only be optional. If you won't use it, you won't have to buy it. If you do buy it, the contoller will only synch with one device for protection from that. Additionally, the only way to synch with it is to hold down a button while allowing your wireless device to synch with it.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
FEVER said:
The bluetooth functional will only be optional. If you won't use it, you won't have to buy it. If you do buy it, the contoller will only synch with one device for protection from that. Additionally, the only way to synch with it is to hold down a button while allowing your wireless device to synch with it.

And if it's Bluetooth, then I suspect it'll only work within the PAN (personal area network) radius - which, as I recall, isn't that big of an area.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
foxtrot5 said:
First off, strobes are still cool!

Now, as much as I love my FS SS2000, there's nothing quite like the rotary knob to let you know for sure that the next move you make will change the tone and not activate your takedowns... I don't see using a touchscreen device as PRIMARY control to be a good idea but as a secondary while stopped it has some interesting potential applicaitons. As for it's functionality, I LOVE that every button is programmable to do whatever you want. That's been my one peeve with my SmartSiren forever.

I agree about having a rotary knob. That is one reason I been thinking about switching my Smart Siren to a Carson. And I also agree that a lot of the switches on the SS are a waste

This intrigues me really, as I don't think I've ever seen a US vehicle with the Euro-style horn override option on sirens. Meaning all you do is tap the horn and the siren starts, tap again to cycle tones, and double tap to turn off.

I've always assumed that was safer, as you don't have to let go of the wheel, but also gives extra warning to motorists who hear the horn too.

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Am I wrong in remembering that they will be revamping the siren tones from the ones that resembles STL? They reminded me of what the siren sounds like when you get in to a big rollover in GTA4...

Swat1911

Apr 29, 2013
Kyle Texas
Sweet. Didnt realize feniex is like 5 minutes from my house. Wonder if they have a showroom.

I think I just found the control head ill be switching to. Love the way that baby looks.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Swat1911 said:
Sweet. Didnt realize feniex is like 5 minutes from my house. Wonder if they have a showroom.

I think I just found the control head ill be switching to. Love the way that baby looks.

I think a member here tried to visit once, I don't think it ended with him seeing anything but the outside.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Interesting considering that the major brands allow and welcome tours.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
badge22 said:
Interesting considering that the major brands allow and welcome tours.

What Tom was referencing was in a thread when Feniex was starting out. A board member started photographing the facility and location, when a Feniex employee told him that he wasn't allowed to...This is during them being accused of being STL, with a name change. I'll post the link when I find it.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Yeah I know, but still.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
EMT-BLS said:
What Tom was referencing was in a thread when Feniex was starting out. A board member started photographing the facility and location, when a Feniex employee told him that he wasn't allowed to...This is during them being accused of being STL, with a name change. I'll post the link when I find it.

Exactly. Wasn't pointing any fingers, just remembered the story lol ;)

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
badge22 said:
Yeah I know, but still.

not really...some brands do on a special basis.

Feniex has a very small facility and they will be moving to a much larger facility. Maybe they will grant access at the new place... even if it is just to a Feniex dealer for a photographic tour or a tour with video. They aer still a very small company and the staff of ELB is probably as big as the staff Feniex has.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
:rolleyes:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
badge22 said:

if you have 20-30 employees that may be overloaded with work trying to research and build a large number of lights are you gonna pull one of them away to give some schmuck a tour of your facility that may be cramped?

"mr.badge 22 we will give you a tour and forget about building a bar for this customer"

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
How many dealers have been to their facility? Btw, Quick disclaimer: I have over 22 years in this business. You can make time, its not Disney World and people aren't lined up to see Feniex. Whelen or Federal probably, Feniex no.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
badge22 said:
How many dealers have been to their facility? Btw, Quick disclaimer: I have over 22 years in this business. You can make time, its not Disney World and people aren't lined up to see Feniex. Whelen or Federal probably, Feniex no.

Walk into Apple in California and ask for a tour. If you can make it through the front gate. How many manufacturing facilities will give people tours as soon as they walk in off the street?

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
This quick detour off-topic would be a good candidate for a new thread, but this one is about the product :thumbsup:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
cbpdogboy said:
This is going to be nice! Built in 8 output led flasher, wig wag flasher, blutooth capabilities, and fuse light up red when they fail...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4VYGhJVte8

It's a hell of a product. I already have four presold and paid for. These things are really gonna provide some versatility.

uniden278

Oct 10, 2011
Winthrop, MA
Any word on the pricepoint (or approximate range) of these when they are released? Would be a very nice upgrade from the Code-3 V-Conn units we are using in my department's cruisers.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
uniden278 said:
Any word on the pricepoint (or approximate range) of these when they are released? Would be a very nice upgrade from the Code-3 V-Conn units we are using in my department's cruisers.

Feniex has not released a pricepoint. Many Feniex dealers are speculating it will be in the price range of the other leading remote mount Lights and Siren Controllers on the market. (SOS Nergy, FS SS, Whelen Cencom) Feniex originally said they would start taking orders in June however I believe that has been pushed back.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
That 4200 looks like it will be what I replace my SS2000sm with. Well, that or the Rontan...

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Storm4200 said:
That 4200 looks like it will be what I replace my SS2000sm with. Well, that or the Rontan...

The reason I haven't already purchase one, is the lack of integrated siren. I'm told that will start to offer one with a siren, but it'll have the same tones as the Olympian...which means my car will sound like a Tonka truck. With all its versatility, I'll still have to waste 4-5 outputs on a siren...

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
EMT-BLS said:
The reason I haven't already purchase one, is the lack of integrated siren. I'm told that will start to offer one with a siren, but it'll have the same tones as the Olympian...which means my car will sound like a Tonka truck. With all its versatility, I'll still have to waste 4-5 outputs on a siren...

its not a "will start to offer one with a siren"

They will offer one with a siren. And yes... you will have to use some outputs for a siren. The only thing this allows is for those who do not need a siren be able to reprogram those buttons to be used for something they can use unlike many of the products currently on the market.

As far as your car sounding like a Tonka Truck..... It can sound like one all it wants... we know it will never achieve such a status even if it is upgraded with feniex siren tones. Maybe when yours and Timmays cars grow up they can become Tonka Trucks. :p

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
FEVER said:
its not a "will start to offer one with a siren"

They will offer one with a siren. And yes... you will have to use some outputs for a siren. The only thing this allows is for those who do not need a siren be able to reprogram those buttons to be used for something they can use unlike many of the products currently on the market.
The ideal way to make use of all buttons on the 4200 is to set it that if the user doesn't want/need sirens, then they should be able to program the siren keys to perform other functions. Not to make us siren users have to sacrifice 4-5 outputs.

FEVER said:
As far as your car sounding like a Tonka Truck..... It can sound like one all it wants... we know it will never achieve such a status even if it is upgraded with feniex siren tones. Maybe when yours and Timmays cars grow up they can become Tonka Trucks. :p

I'd just like to remind you...both mine and Timmay's vehicles are bigger than yours. Just sayin'.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
EMT-BLS said:
The ideal way to make use of all buttons on the 4200 is to set it that if the user doesn't want/need sirens, then they should be able to program the siren keys to perform other functions. Not to make us siren users have to sacrifice 4-5 outputs.

I'd just like to remind you...both mine and Timmay's vehicles are bigger than yours. Just sayin'.

How is it a sacrifice? They were obviously going to build it with the same number of outputs regardless. With over 30 outputs youare complaing that a few have to be used for the siren? :duh:

Also......when is a nissan rogue bigger than a Suburban?!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.