Feniex "high profile" lights?

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
I love what you guys are doing with the "wide-lux" surface mount light heads (6x4, 7x3, etc).  Do you foresee expanding your lineup of large-footprint lighting in the future?  Maybe a light bar to compete with the Liberty or Pinnacle?

...part of me (the part that thinks I have money to spare) wants to buy an old Whelen 9000 frame and stuff it full of wide-luxs (once available) to see what it looked like  :satan:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
...part of me (the part that thinks I have money to spare) wants to buy an old Whelen 9000 frame and stuff it full of wide-luxs (once available) to see what it looked like  :satan:
Ah so I'm not the only one?

Tom@Feniex

May 21, 2015
Austin, Texas

I love what you guys are doing with the "wide-lux" surface mount light heads (6x4, 7x3, etc).  Do you foresee expanding your lineup of large-footprint lighting in the future?  Maybe a light bar to compete with the Liberty or Pinnacle?

As far as the "wide-lux" technology this will be in our new lightbar platform. It will still be a lower profile bar compared to the Liberty and Pinnacle LB and much more affordable! 

20150803_142750.jpg20150803_142733.jpg

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida

As far as the "wide-lux" technology this will be in our new lightbar platform. It will still be a lower profile bar compared to the Liberty and Pinnacle LB and much more affordable! 

The mindset around ELB is that those are only good enough for cars.  Alot of people on ELB prefer to have a Freedom size lightbar on trucks, large SUVs and fire trucks/rescues.  

Reactions: vonirkinshtine
May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
The mindset around ELB is that those are only good enough for cars.  Alot of people on ELB prefer to have a Freedom size lightbar on trucks, large SUVs and fire trucks/rescues.  
Nic hit the nail on the head.  Those lo-pro bars are good for patrol cars, but I wouldn't ever consider one for any vehicle larger than a compact pickup (Ranger) / crossover (Equinox).  Big vehicles need big light.

Tom@Feniex

May 21, 2015
Austin, Texas
Ah I got you. In my monthly meetings I will inquire about this. There are quite a few "hush hush" projects they are working on. On a few occasions I tried to overhear their meetings and got cattle prodded. I will keep you guys posted!

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Tom - any change we could see a shot of the Takedown/Alley lights that will be used in the Apollo bars?  I'm curious what style lenses they will have....

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
They look a bit like the lenses on low-voltage landscape lighting!  (Think Malibu Lights.)

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I love what you guys are doing with the "wide-lux" surface mount light heads (6x4, 7x3, etc). Do you foresee expanding your lineup of large-footprint lighting in the future? Maybe a light bar to compete with the Liberty or Pinnacle?

...part of me (the part that thinks I have money to spare) wants to buy an old Whelen 9000 frame and stuff it full of wide-luxs (once available) to see what it looked like :satan:
I've been wondering the same thing for a while! A double stacked Apollo lightbar (ie 7x3 inboards) to compete with the freedom on pickups, light rescues, Ambos, & fire apparatus would definitely help bring Feniex into the fire/Ambo market and look better on larger POVs!!! Also, a double stacked Apollo lightstick with scene lighting modules could be an alternative to the whelen 4500 series)

i think that SOS' major problem is that SOS (one of the most innovative companies over the past few years IMHO) hasn't expanded into the apparatus/ambulance market to give other companies more of a run for their money (instead of just on smaller SUV, pickup, & sedan EVs). I think one of the only reason C3 is still hanging on from bankruptcy their junk is b/c (even tho the products suck) they're still offering lights for each of the major markets (police, fire/EMS, Amber) and some people don't understand how overpriced they are. A company like C3 that is way behind the LED product innovation of everyone else and just outfits old lightbar frames with "new" optics, expecting nobody to notice, is such a waste

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
A full height or high profile bar is mainly a fire/EMS product.  There are other applications, but high profile bars generally need to take hold in the fire EMS areas to work.  The fire/EMS apparatus builder market for lights is a very different animal from end user, amber and LE markets.  Many depts don't specify brand, and a major builder of apparatus can have a contract or unofficial go-to for stock light options.  When building for the fire or EMS specific platform, a bar is the worst idea from a risk standpoint.  Many trucks are setup with just 7x3, 6x4 and 9x7 lights and bars are starting to fade away in many applications, or go low profile even on full sized trucks.  Also, a bar has a lot less cross usage in other markets than a lighthead.  When any major company introduces a new lightbar that is high profile, they take a huge, probably unacceptable risk at this point.  The Federal Signal and Whelen are only adding to high profile bars with LED rotator technology, even that isn't an easy sell.  In order for any company to risk a full profile lightbar, there needs to be extreme adaptability and cross-platform applications or it will not be a worthwhile product for the company.  

That said, Feniex has convinced me they will adapt when ever possible.  Perhaps their current tech could be adapted into a double height lightbar housing efficiently enough to make a high profile bar worth making.  Time, and hopefully this section of eLightbars, will tell.

-Disclaimer- I don't speak for Feniex, but I do follow them on elb.  

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
SOS is building a massive addition specifically to go after the fire and ambo market.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Theres already a bunch of Fire trucks around here with SOS bars on them. SOS is located in this county so I'm sure theres deals being made, but I digress...

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Awesome! Any idea when they're tentative releases are?
i meant the facilities. They are essentially doubling their size.  

I foresee feniex making a big push over the next few years.  They have already overhauled their lineup quite a bit over the past few years and they really are making tremendous effort to only release stuff that works. 

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
any info on the new lights?  Almost ready for release?... I'm running out of fingernails to bite! lol

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Are these takedowns brighter than the ones in the Pegasus? If they are will they fit the Pegasus?
they are brighter. The Apollo might fit but I'm not sure they still make the mounts for that frame and if they are different

Reactions: JohnMarcson

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
i meant the facilities. They are essentially doubling their size.
Gotcha. Have u heard anything through any of the reps about new designs they're working on? I'm guessing (& hoping) that they're gonna be working on a 6x4, 7x3, & 9x7 series and a higher profile lightbar (or that they at least had a list of tentative concepts ready before they decided to expand their facilities)

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
They won't release any info for the new products beyond 2015. What they have in the catalog is all we will see this year. I'm sure things are in the works as obviously they want to expand their product base but time wise you don't ever know.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RetLt2020

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.