Feniex Olympian C-2009

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
TritonBoulder47 said:
I know Matt (CenTexPSE) just got one recently... But I don't think he's had a chance to intall it yet...

You are correct, sir! I ordered it before reading this post.

The only issue that bugs me is the memory buttons not turning off. Once programmed, one press of the button should turn it on and another press should turn int off. Pretty simple. Having to leave one button programmed for "off" is simply bullshit.

Other than that, i will have to say that it is a well constructed unit. I think they have their minds in the right place with this, the were just a little pre-mature in releasing it to the public.

In my opinion, the new controller head that is soon to come out should be made to work with the existing relay box so those of us that are not satisfied with these issues can just swap out the control heads without having to remove the box.

citypolice

Aug 17, 2011
NCR (VA, MD, DC) USA
CenTexPSE said:
The only issue that bugs me is the memory buttons not turning off. Once programmed, one press of the button should turn it on and another press should turn int off. Pretty simple. Having to leave one button programmed for "off" is simply bullshit.

I couldn't agree with you more! But now that I have figured out how to solve the other problem (ie. waking my neighbors up every morning with uncontrollable siren activation), I will make due with two memory buttons if I have to.

CenTexPSE said:
In my opinion, the new controller head that is soon to come out should be made to work with the existing relay box so those of us that are not satisfied with these issues can just swap out the control heads without having to remove the box.

I can tell you from my conversation with Feniex yesterday that new version will have both a new box and new control head. Both are being overhauled. The new 'box' will use screw down terminals instead of the spade lug blades. I question this approach, since these are common connectors used in manufacturing processes in overseas made units. But, bottom line, it sounds like the entire unit is going under re-design. They did hint that previous customers looking to upgrade would be well taken care of. I won't upgrade, simply becasue they aready told me the memory buttons on the new design are going to be progressive.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
I can deal with the power switch issue, I just won't turn it off. Truth be told, it will not kill the battery unless you rarely use the vehicle.

The biggest complaint is disabling groups of buttons. The problem with using a memory button as a master off switch is that if you have other things turned on like a laptop or a power inverter (or whatever) that you don't necessarily want to turn off, it will be turned off with the "all off" function of the master off memory button. If one press turned the memory button on, one more press should turn that specific group of buttons off without affecting other buttons that may be active.

I also think the progressive memory button thing is a just going to turn this thing into a buggy CenCom or SmartSiren knock-off. The great part about this is that you can control things individually or as groups. You can't really do this with those other units which is what set this apart.

If they would just fix the bugs with this version, they would probably make a lot of customers happy, which would in-turn prevent threads like this from popping up. Look how many people are now on the fence about, or completely against, buying this unit or its siren counterpart.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Jman423 said:
I can deal with the power switch issue, I just won't turn it off. Truth be told, it will not kill the battery unless you rarely use the vehicle.

The biggest complaint is disabling groups of buttons. The problem with using a memory button as a master off switch is that if you have other things turned on like a laptop or a power inverter (or whatever) that you don't necessarily want to turn off, it will be turned off with the "all off" function of the master off memory button. If one press turned the memory button on, one more press should turn that specific group of buttons off without affecting other buttons that may be active.

I also think the progressive memory button thing is a just going to turn this thing into a buggy CenCom or SmartSiren knock-off. The great part about this is that you can control things individually or as groups. You can't really do this with those other units which is what set this apart.

If they would just fix the bugs with this version, they would probably make a lot of customers happy, which would in-turn prevent threads like this from popping up. Look how many people are now on the fence about, or completely against, buying this unit or its siren counterpart.

I have no doubt that Feniex is paying close attention to this thread.

Hopefully they'll offer replacements to customers who come into contact with Feniex about these troublesome issues. The power thing, while somewhat annoying, really isn't THAT huge of a problem. It'll draw minimal power. Some folks have "safety" systems on their vehicles with one or two lights that blink on the dash area once every 2-3 seconds... that's not draining your battery and killing your car, so I doubt this will.

+1 on the point of having the ability to single out functions or group them. That's a HUGE plus, no matter the manufacturer.

I think they will indeed work these issues out. Part of the problem, as has been discussed in previous threads, is the rush to market. But, keep in mind, this is a relatively brand new company in it's infancy stages. Of course there are going to be bugs that need to be worked out. I'm sure the first year the CenCom or SmartSiren came out, customers had their issues with them as well.

Steve-O

May 21, 2010
San Antonio
Jman423 said:
I can deal with the power switch issue, I just won't turn it off. Truth be told, it will not kill the battery unless you rarely use the vehicle...

Leaving the unit powered up just is not an option for me. I'm planning to use the GM Emergency Vehicle Upfitters Port that Chevy included in my Avalanche and it's only hot when the truck is on.

What's the time frame on the newly improved unit? Having each of the memory buttons operate individually is nice, but switching to a progressive setup is not a deal breaker for me.

Is there a company rep on the board? I sent a PM to member "Feniex" but he has failed to respond. Perhaps someone could get "Alex" to come aboard and address these concerns. There is so much potential with this product and how they respond to these problems and take care of their customers will speak volumes about their dedication to customer service.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Jman423 said:
I was one of the customers that bought this unit from TraFX, and he did indeed disclose all of this info to me. I decided that I could deal with the power problem by just not shutting it off. I drive the truck at least 5 days a week, so I know doing this won't affect my battery.

Maybe I am not understanding your intentions here... whether or not you use the power switch or turn off power to the hot lead, it will still power down the keypad, which is where the problem is supposed to be. Even if you turn your master power switch back on, the unit may still do what it does.

The other thing that Feniex doesn't seem to be making clear is that "version two" does not (yet) include the non-siren controller. As of the last time I talked to him, pretty recently, they hadn't even started working on the controller-only version for round two. They were supposed to release the new siren unit in September, but they had some manufacturing problems, and now TraFx says it seems more like December.

I can say that I've dealt with Alex, and he is perfectly fine to deal with, and goes further to accommodate the customer than their basic customer service call-takers. I just wasn't too happy with the information that he was giving me.

I had to get my keypad replaced as soon as I got the unit, and their customer service made me pay for a new keypad until they received the old one, at which time they were SUPPOSED to refund me. That never happened, which is when I was able to track down Alex's info. He took care the issue.

I'm sending Alex an e-mail, now.

citypolice

Aug 17, 2011
NCR (VA, MD, DC) USA
As you can see, this particular install is somewhat customized, so that is why implementing a fix is more desirable than buying something else. It would be nice if Feniex could address the issue in current models with a chipset replacement or something like that. Either way, the cupholder clips in / out and is still usable. :thumbsup:

[Broken External Image]:http://s150874728.onlinehome.us/bob/1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://s150874728.onlinehome.us/bob/4.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://s150874728.onlinehome.us/bob/5.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://s150874728.onlinehome.us/bob/7.jpg

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
108FP1 said:
Ewwww, why did you crack the head? Won't that violate the warranty?

That's what I was going to say. I wouldn't be posting pictures of that because I am pretty sure you just voided your warranty. I doubt you'll be getting a fix now even if it does come out :duh:

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
I received an email from Alex at Feniex, earlier today. He, Feniex's lead engineer and other staff members are all aware of this thread - Alex assured me that he, personally, read the thread in its entirety yesterday. They are aware of the issues at hand and are working to resolve them. I wouldn't be surprised to see Feniex actually respond to this thread, directly. A new model of the Olympian is being created.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
That is good news. I hope that isn't just a vague statement that only references the siren model, and not the non-siren unit as it was explained to me a few weeks ago.

citypolice

Aug 17, 2011
NCR (VA, MD, DC) USA
108FP1 said:
Ewwww, why did you crack the head? Won't that violate the warranty?

Nothing is cracked. If by "crack the head" you are referring to flush mounting the control unit to a piece of ABS plastic, that should have nothing to do with anything relevant here. I do semi-custom and custom mounting of lights, electronics and radio gear all the time.

If there is no warranty seal and the written warranty doesn't disclose, fully and conspicuously, in simple and readily understood language, the terms and conditions of what I can and cant do, the warranty should be valid unless I have damaged the electronics in some other way. If they fail to honor that warranty, they are in violation of the Magnusson-Moss Act.

natep24

Jul 13, 2010
Orleans VT
i just recieved my olympian about 20 minutes ago...... i ordered it before reading this post...hopefuly i dont have any problems with it .... it sure looks like it will be a great unit!!

citypolice

Aug 17, 2011
NCR (VA, MD, DC) USA
Jman423 said:
That's what I was going to say. I wouldn't be posting pictures of that because I am pretty sure you just voided your warranty. I doubt you'll be getting a fix now even if it does come out :duh:

I posted the photos to share the installation, since so many people were recommending I just find a new product. For this particular vehicle, this is the right product!

Unless I have caused a defect, malfunction, or have failed to conform with the written warranty - its covered by law. No where in the written documentation can I find where I have done anything it says not to do.

Heck, as we have learned from this post, the documentation for this thing is pretty thin as it is. We all missed page 7, line item #8 where it explained how to turn off a memory button. Maybe I have missed some warranty caveats, but I don't think so.

I think the fact that I am technical enough to figure out how to overcome the relay logic problem they have in the unit, they will probably respect that I havent damaged anything. I doubt they are going to be fixing these for us anyway; I could be wrong.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
Post away. I'm always looking for new ideas.

beavercorp

Aug 4, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm trying to figure out how, exactly, the wires are connected to the a-o connector ports. I read the installation manual available online, with little success. Are their third party plugs that need to be attached to the incoming wires? If anyone has pictures that would be fantastic!

Steve-O

May 21, 2010
San Antonio
MichianaELS said:
I received an email from Alex at Feniex, earlier today. He, Feniex's lead engineer and other staff members are all aware of this thread - Alex assured me that he, personally, read the thread in its entirety yesterday. They are aware of the issues at hand and are working to resolve them. I wouldn't be surprised to see Feniex actually respond to this thread, directly. A new model of the Olympian is being created.

Thanks Dave!

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
beavercorp said:
I'm trying to figure out how, exactly, the wires are connected to the a-o connector ports. I read the installation manual available online, with little success. Are their third party plugs that need to be attached to the incoming wires? If anyone has pictures that would be fantastic!

You use female spade connectors. It also comes with plenty of wiring.

firefighter31

Sep 16, 2011
Missouri
does anybody have an idea on what the price difference between the old controller and its bugs and the new controller without the bugs(hopefully) will be?

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
citypolice - They are not negative comments, only constructive criticism. I'd like to see the install in it's entirety. The only thing I would have done different would have been to shave out the hole bigger, fit the whole head in there, and use reversed L brackets to mount to the console, ALA faceplate style. The only downside to your head mount is that it opens up the unit's circuitry to air, dust, and moisture.

firefighter31 - My guess is that if it will be a direct replacement, the price will be the same or a somewhat negligible increase.

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
Here is a pic of mine. I used my own wires to go from the Olympian to the fuse block, then the Feniex wires from the fuses to the lights.

309020_277153472304874_135329416487281_922661_1359271134_n.jpg

beavercorp

Aug 4, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
CenTexPSE said:
Here is a pic of mine. I used my own wires to go from the Olympian to the fuse block, then the Feniex wires from the fuses to the lights.

View attachment 17632

Interesting setup, well done. How did you go about managing the grounding of the negative wires?

I believe I read that the positive wires connect to the Feniex block and then it said ground the negative.

*Edit* Say if I were to build that block what components would I need? I ask because that looks something like the set up I would need for my project.

beavercorp

Aug 4, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
108FP1 said:
***REMOVED PHOTOS TO SAVE ON LOADING TIME***

That is a beautiful install! I remembered seeing your original thread about your MX7000. I must say the feniex looks much better :)

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
TritonBoulder47 said:
Again, I pose the above question...

Yes, from what I have read, it affects both of the original units. I cannot confirm anything other than the non-siren unit though :no:

citypolice

Aug 17, 2011
NCR (VA, MD, DC) USA
108FP1 said:
The only thing I would have done different would have been to shave out the hole bigger, fit the whole head in there, and use reversed L brackets to mount to the console, ALA faceplate style. The only downside to your head mount is that it opens up the unit's circuitry to air, dust, and moisture.

I would normally do that, but with this vehicle there is not enough clearance under the factory console plastic to do so. The area below is well enclosed, houses other electronics and connections from the vehicle and the board of the controller is isloated from the other electrical connections with an antistatic barrier. Thanks for the comments. Been doing this professionally since 1987.

natep24

Jul 13, 2010
Orleans VT
i recieved my olympian on Friday. i to have the problem with it activating when powered on. on my unit i am useing the flash option as a momentary button for an air horn that i have installed. the "flash" switch is the only switch that activates when powered on ...... it dosnt do it every time. pictures will be uploaded soon...

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
The other biggest complaint I have about this unit is the lack of some common legends, like Dash, or LBAR Front and LBAR Rear... stuff like that.

citypolice

Aug 17, 2011
NCR (VA, MD, DC) USA
I have my timer/relay circuit ready to install. Now I just need a schematic for this darn thing.

I need to find 12v inside the main unit that is switched by the controllers' power button to trigger the relay.

I can use any voltage in the controller from the backlight, but then thats just another wire that has to be routed back to the main unit.

Does anyone have a schematic?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny22

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.